Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

15 hours ago, sne said:

His 17 y.o brother Ethan Mbappé has featured in 1 Ligue 1 game for PSG this season. Could possibly get him in since PSG loves selling their young French players. He's out of contract in the summer so I imagine he'll join Real (or Castilla) too.

Caleb Chukwuemeka 2.0

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

That assumes they are willing to lose a tonne of money which I don't think they are. Our owners don't have ulterior motives like sports washing.

No but I didn't say we would be finishing above City and Newcastle and winning titles. But we'd probably be able to outspend 80% of the teams in the league and with the current set up we'd be competing for top 4 at least most seasons. I suppose City and Newcastle would probably gobble up all the trophies which would suck, but City already do that now anyway.

And our owners aren't sports washing but they're still willing to invest decent amounts of money to make us competitive, they've already proven that and as such the value of the club has shot up. As you say, shrewd businessmen.

8 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

No but I didn't say we would be finishing above City and Newcastle and winning titles. But we'd probably be able to outspend 80% of the teams in the league and with the current set up we'd be competing for top 4 at least most seasons. I suppose City and Newcastle would probably gobble up all the trophies which would suck, but City already do that now anyway.

And our owners aren't sports washing but they're still willing to invest decent amounts of money to make us competitive, they've already proven that and as such the value of the club has shot up. As you say, shrewd businessmen.

80%? That means 20% could which is four teams.

City, Newcastle, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd could all outspend us under those conditions because of ownership wealth and/or revenue generation far greater than us at the moment scrapping FFP.  That’s 35-40% of the league…

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I'm sorry to break it to you, but Man City have dominated the league until the end of time already.

And then you have 3-4 other clubs that will always be just behind City. 

Suspected that reply as didn't put caveat that City already doing that. Hoping beyond hope some of charges will stick but point still stands with no FFP or similar model Newcastle would join them

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

City, Newcastle, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd could all outspend us under those conditions because of ownership wealth and/or revenue generation far greater than us at the moment scrapping FFP.  That’s 35-40% of the league…

But no FFP would likely mean our revenue catches up quicker to those teams than it would in current circumstances. Even if we made champions league for five seasons in a row, which I’m sure you’ll agree is unlikely, we’d still likely have lower revenues than the Sky 6.

Maybe FFP is more beneficial than I believe it to be, but there’s no question it keeps the existing clubs with already very high revenues at the top. And it would be easier to bridge that gap if there were looser financial restrictions.

58 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

they are always trying to introduce a motorsport which determines the best driver by keeping all other variables constant and I think that should be the same with football managers.

hear me out...

at the start of the summer we line up the 20 premier league managers on one side of wembley, and the 500 or so registered premier league players on the other side. Then, much akin to playground or PE football, each managers takes turn to pick a player until the last player is picked (couch, callum chambers cough) 

they then take their squad, have 10 weeks to train them up and then we go

Emery wins the league for Villa guaranteed

You jest but I wouldn’t be surprised if something like this happened one day in the mould of a super league like the IPL. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

The big thing with that though is they all can't finish 1st. Or even 4th or 5th.

So a team that spends 200m + but is only 6th or 7th in the league is always going to be in a mini crisis and on verge of sacking their manager and/or half their squad as that's the knee jerk Football world nowadays.

We've currently a very solid base. World class manager and keeper, pretty good CF for premier league and lots of quality in midfield and CB.

Our test I think in next few years will be the same as it's ever been. How quickly and effectively do we replace if we lose any of them as it's something we're not very good at.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Formula 1 style budget cap. 

Back on topic - Hermoso are the rumours true us signing him?

Hermoso is very good but we already have Pau Torres and Mings to come back as left footed centre backs. Rather we target a right footed ball playing centre back to replace Carlos, preferably a few years younger too.

Gloukh is doing the rounds, what a signing that would be. Very much hope that happens. 

37 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

But no FFP would likely mean our revenue catches up quicker to those teams than it would in current circumstances.

Why would our revenue catch up quicker?  I think it would likely be further away as they mostly have bigger global fan base and thus attract bigger commercial contracts, so likely we’d be even further away.

41 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Maybe FFP is more beneficial than I believe it to be, but there’s no question it keeps the existing clubs with already very high revenues at the top. And it would be easier to bridge that gap if there were looser financial restrictions.

I agree on the first line.  I don’t on the second line.  I don’t think the answer is looser financial restrictions but the rules need to change.  

Losing restrictions will aid the bigger teams more, what we need are restrictions that don’t let the big clubs wash the competition out but does let the smaller clubs to invest if the capital is there in the background that is secured and doesn’t potentially put in the club at risk long term.

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The big thing with that though is they all can't finish 1st. Or even 4th or 5th.

So a team that spends 200m + but is only 6th or 7th in the league is always going to be in a mini crisis and on verge of sacking their manager and/or half their squad as that's the knee jerk Football world nowadays.

We've currently a very solid base. World class manager and keeper, pretty good CF for premier league and lots of quality in midfield and CB.

Our test I think in next few years will be the same as it's ever been. How quickly and effectively do we replace if we lose any of them as it's something we're not very good at.

Agreed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Hermoso is very good but we already have Pau Torres and Mings to come back as left footed centre backs. Rather we target a right footed ball playing centre back to replace Carlos, preferably a few years younger too.

Gloukh is doing the rounds, what a signing that would be. Very much hope that happens. 

cant Hermoso also play that defensive left back role? (ie: left back in back 4, coming inside to form part of the back 3 when we attack?)

4 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Chelsea did but they’re in a very expensive part of London. Also abramovich funded them out of his own pocket before FFP came in so they were able to get success by winning loads of trophies gaining them fans worldwide and large sponsorship and broadcasting deals and this in turn massively increased their revenue. Even then I strongly suspect Abramovich pulled off some shady deals to increase that revenue much like the oil barons in Manchester. 

I just don’t want us to be selling to buy all the time, it seems like we’re being punished for being successful. A team that goes from 14th to 7th to potentially 4th or 5th should be allowed to retain its best players and spend money to improve the team further in certain positions, not sell star Academy graduates or key components of the team. I still think though that if we can offload the likes of Sanson, Coutinho, Dendoncker, Olsen, Carlos, Chambers and Hause that will free up around £500K in wages which is £24m annually off the books.

IMO we just need tweaks this summer and nothing major but we do need to sign players in certain positions. We still need to invest in a holding midfielder given Kamara’s injury and Donk up for sale, probably a younger centre back to replace Carlos in the squad if we can move him on, and then if we moved Digne and Cash on which is also possible we’d need two new full backs too. I actually think we’re fine in attack especially with Buendia to come back and Diaby to hopefully do better next season but bringing in a high quality youngster like Gloukh would be very shrewd.

Didnt know ffp was linked to building and development of stadiums thought it only applied to player transfers 

17 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Didnt know ffp was linked to building and development of stadiums thought it only applied to player transfers 

the stadium was part of Everton's FFP issues.

I dont know the exact scenario, but apparently there is a point during the building where you can remove it from the FFP figures, but the build and approvals etc need to get to a certain point to allow this, until then it comes directly from FFP, or something!?

Maybe someone else can give specifics, but im sure i remember that Everton stadium was delayed in some way, which meant they couldnt remove it from the FFP figures as soon as they wanted, or something.

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

the stadium was part of Everton's FFP issues.

I dont know the exact scenario, but apparently there is a point during the building where you can remove it from the FFP figures, but the build and approvals etc need to get to a certain point to allow this, until then it comes directly from FFP, or something!?

Maybe someone else can give specifics, but im sure i remember that Everton stadium was delayed in some way, which meant they couldnt remove it from the FFP figures as soon as they wanted, or something.

The problem isn't the build itself but the financing of the project. Bank Loan Interest for the investment is allowable but loan interest from owners/investors isn't. Everton's problems are that the loan interest that they thought would be allowable isn't to the tune of £10m. They've agreed that they are in breach by £10m so their appeal is was the breach £10m or £20m and is the punishment too harsh.

Back on topic, where do you see you most urgent need for a signing in the summer? Having watched a few of your games lately, I think that you are fairly strong in most areas once your injured players are back but that depends on whether one or two may leave in the summer. Right back is possibly your weakest link, Cash is good going forward but less so in defending. Getting somebody who can do both could be very expensive.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

The problem isn't the build itself but the financing of the project. Bank Loan Interest for the investment is allowable but loan interest from owners/investors isn't. Everton's problems are that the loan interest that they thought would be allowable isn't to the tune of £10m. They've agreed that they are in breach by £10m so their appeal is was the breach £10m or £20m and is the punishment too harsh.

Back on topic, where do you see you most urgent need for a signing in the summer? Having watched a few of your games lately, I think that you are fairly strong in most areas once your injured players are back but that depends on whether one or two may leave in the summer. Right back is possibly your weakest link, Cash is good going forward but less so in defending. Getting somebody who can do both could be very expensive.

Yep it was debt interest on the loan that was taken into account 

36 minutes ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

Assuming no core players leave (which they might, or might not?), i think we critically need:

• Right Back
  • Defensive Midfielder (solely due to Kamara's ACL injury - he wont be back until nov/Dec, and wont be fully fit until new year 2025, so we defo need one)

I can see Digne leaving in the summer, so thats a left back we need if he does.

i can see quite a few outs in the summer, if we can offload them (or we end their loans/dont try to purchase them), like Olsen, Hause, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, Coutinho, Zaniolo, Lenglet, Coutinho etc

Anything else is just nice to have's i think, such as a forward capable of playing across the forward line, and maybe another striker, depending on what happens with Duran in the summer.

Edited by MaVilla

3 minutes ago, burchy said:

Stupid question but do loan fees go against FFP?

yes, i think so, both loans in, and loans out, which is why us loaning a load of players out, with a loan fee, is good for our FFP balance sheet (as well as the salary savings ofc)

Edited by MaVilla

Â