Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

2 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

15m seems high but Unai et al want him I’m sure he’s worth every penny. 

Could've done with wanting him six months ago. Seems weird

• Like 2

Everyone publishing articles and tweets bang on at 4pm. Happened for the first bid too. This saga has definitely been full of controlled media releases...

Does sound like it's gonna get done though.

Edited by wishywashy

1 minute ago, wishywashy said:

Everyone publishing articles and tweets bang on at 4pm. Happened for the first bid too. This saga has definitely been full of controlled media releases...

Monchi pulling the strings from his desk at BMH!

10 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

First bid was reported 8pm on the 18th. Second bid was around 9am 19th so the controlled media release doesn’t have any substance. 

Anyway, Emery clearly wants him and you’d like to think this deal gets wrapped up over the next few days. 

If it’s £15m then I think that will definitely include some add ons, and probably difficult to reach add ons, considering it was widely reported that Boro were looking for £12m. 

5 minutes ago, RichW said:

First bid was reported 8pm on the 18th. Second bid was around 9am 19th so the controlled media release doesn’t have any substance. 

Anyway, Emery clearly wants him and you’d like to think this deal gets wrapped up over the next few days. 

Oh, I wasn't really drawing any conclusions from it, just a tad interesting.

£15m seems a lot for a player who’s only started half the games in the championship this season, and that’s actually his best professional season so far

I understand the idea of picking up a few cheap “hidden gems” to bolster the squad, but for £15m this really feels like a gamble. The comments from people who have watched him seems to be more surprise than anything else… I’m just really not sure on this one at all, hopefully Monchi will be proven right in the end. 

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

15m seems high but Unai et al want him I’m sure he’s worth every penny. 

The "rumour" is that the 15m includes add-ons.  So you would imagine that if the deal ends up costing us 15m then all the add-on targets must have been hit - which would mean that he would have played a significant number of games for us and potentially secured a number of goals/assists at the same time.  Let's say (for arguments sake) that it is 50 games - £15m for an attacking midfielder who appears 50 times for us would seem like an absolute bargain.  If he doesn't do as well then presumably a lot of the add-on clauses wouldn't be hit and so it would make it more likely that we could recover most of the fees paid through an onward transfer / extended loan(s).  The structure of the deal in this instance could be very interesting and make a significant difference between whether it is an expensive "gamble" or not.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24079994.aston-villa-make-third-bid-middlesbrough-forward-morgan-rogers/

MIDDLESBROUGH are mulling over their response to Aston Villa’s latest offer for Morgan Rogers, with discussions over the forward’s future expected to continue in the next 24 hours.

Having had two previous bids for Rogers rejected, Villa tabled a third formal offer this weekend in an attempt to prise the 21-year-old from Teesside. Villa’s most recent offer is understood to involve a package that is worth around £15m once add-ons are included in the deal. That represents an increase on the bid that was rejected last week, and is much closer to the kind of figures that would prompt Boro to sell. However, the final decision on a sale will be made by chairman Steve Gibson, with the situation still being discussed ahead of Thursday’s transfer deadline. Talks are expected to continue tomorrow, with the Boro hierarchy determined to engineer the best possible deal if Rogers is to leave this month.

West Ham United were linked with a possible deal of their own over the weekend, but while there was contact between Hammers officials and their counterparts on Teesside, the London club are now not believed to be in the running to complete a move.

If Rogers, who was born in Halesowen and was a childhood Villa fan, was to move to Villa Park this month, his departure would result in a huge profit for Boro. The Teessiders paid around £1.5m to sign Rogers from Manchester City in the summer, and while the reigning Premier League champions included a hefty sell-on clause as part of the deal, Boro are still looking at a huge profit in the space of just six months. Rogers played and scored for Boro in their Carabao Cup semi-final second-leg defeat at Chelsea last week, and is due to train at Rockliffe Park as planned in the next couple of days. However, with Boro’s next game against Sunderland coming after the closure of the transfer window, it is possible that he has already played his final game for the club.

If we bring him in now… I wonder where exactly he will fit in… the position he would play in and how it would affect other/competing players… what’s the plan?

Take up Ramsey’s spot on the left while he recovers? Or stay on the bench for the most part?

Intriguing…

5 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

£15m seems a lot for a player who’s only started half the games in the championship this season, and that’s actually his best professional season so far

I understand the idea of picking up a few cheap “hidden gems” to bolster the squad, but for £15m this really feels like a gamble. The comments from people who have watched him seems to be more surprise than anything else… I’m just really not sure on this one at all, hopefully Monchi will be proven right in the end. 

Assuming that a good chunk of the £15m is in add-ons.  In which case we aren't paying £15m for a player who has played half the games in the championship, we are paying £15m for a player who will have played a meaningful number of games over a particular period of time for Aston Villa in the next year or so.  It could be that the deal is £7.5m up front with the rest due when he plays 30, 40 or 50 games for us - hits a certain number of goals or assists, etc.  In which case £15m for an attacking midfielder who plays in 50% of our matches over the next 12 months would probably be regarded as a steal.  Especially when you look at how much "back up" options have cost us / clubs around us in the past.

• Like 1

The sell on percentage City included in the Boro deal has obviously upped the price… could have paid less if that wasn’t a factor or issue…

I’m really interested in Unai’s opinion of and plan for him…

Assuming this is driven by him and Monchi is supporting it…trying to get it sorted for the main man…

Edited by Jas10

This is the most strange persuit i have seen in a long time. 

We have been going for absolute top quality players for the last 18 months. Proven top quality. 

And Rogers seems not to be all that. So what has Emery seen that has made him persue him like this. He must have seen something that he feels can be turned into something great. Because he doesnt look a patch on Philogene to my untrained eye. 

Another Villa fan though  so happy days. 

Didn’t realise he was a Villa fan. That’s an added bonus. He reminds me a little bit of another big money Villa fan signing, Mr Stanley Victor. That didn’t work out great but I have high hopes for this one. He looks like a proper talent to me. Big, fast, strong, two footed lad who plays with his head up. Unai could turn him into a star.

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Because he doesnt look a patch on Philogene to my untrained eye. 

If I'm not mistaken, FFP makes selling a homegrown Villa lad for someone else's prospect for similar money a financial win. Not saying it's why we've made these decisions, but it's such a sad state of affairs.

• Like 1

Â