Welcome to Aston / Villa Till I Die

sidcow

So Heck has confirmed we are filming behind the scenes this season for a documentary in the hope someone will pick it up. 

Anyone know if this is normal? I'd have thought a TV company would decide to make a show in advance and then approach the club to make it. Not the club make it then look for a suitor.

Are we marketable in this now crowded market? I wonder who might be interested to show it? 

I guess if we do win the league it will be a guaranteed blockbuster. Even qualifying for Champions League would be a David and Goliath show surely? 

Finally could this be something to do with Atairos? They've surely got contacts to make this happen. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So Heck has confirmed we are filming behind the scenes this season for a documentary in the hope someone will pick it up. 

Anyone know if this is normal? I'd have thought a TV company would decide to make a show in advance and then approach the club to make it. Not the club make it then look for a suitor.

Are we marketable in this now crowded market? I wonder who might be interested to show it? 

I guess if we do win the league it will be a guarantee blockbuster. Even qualifying for Champions League would be a David and Goliath show surely? 

Finally could this be something to do with Atairos? They've surely got contacts to make this happen. 

i would guess if we do succeed in top 4, someone will be interested.

If we dont, i would guess they wont.

• Like 1

You never know - you see what media did for Wrexham and the like. Anecdotally, your typical non-footy American will have a better chance knowing who Wrexham are compared to Villa. 

Another thing we were behind in when streaming came out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I guess if we do win the league it will be a guaranteed blockbuster. Even qualifying for Champions League would be a David and Goliath show surely? 

sunderland were appealing enough for netflix to pick up a documentary on them. i'm sure there will be no shortage of suitors

always skeptical about these things though. emery comes across as a private chap...i'm not sure he'd be too keen on his meetings/training sessions being broadcast to the world and if we don't see that then i'm not sure how good it would be. think it was the leeds one for example that was basically just a season review documentary with no juicy behind the scenes stuff so it was boring as **** to a non-fan.

Just now, tomav84 said:

sunderland were appealing enough for netflix to pick up a documentary on them. i'm sure there will be no shortage of suitors

always skeptical about these things though. emery comes across as a private chap...i'm not sure he'd be too keen on his meetings/training sessions being broadcast to the world and if we don't see that then i'm not sure how good it would be. think it was the leeds one for example that was basically just a season review documentary with no juicy behind the scenes stuff so it was boring as **** to a non-fan.

There have been many others since Sunderland. Need a new angle to generate interest now. 

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Did he say which production company were creating it for us? 

8 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Did he say which production company were creating it for us? 

Nope. You can read the interview on the Heck thread. 

Viewing this as objectively as possible, I don’t think most fans give a toss about Villa. We are akin to West Ham/Everton/Crystal Palace in the ‘making up the numbers’ party. Our ownership doesn’t generate interest like Wrexham or Newcastle. We haven’t done anything outstanding on the field (yet). If we can hold onto top 4 I think it’s possible people take more of an interest. I think it’d take top 3 for there to be a significant response. 

It's potentially clever because that would give the club an element of control, I'm guessing they'd review and edit the footage before selling it so it wouldn't be warts and all, potentially less invasive too

That might also be a downside though, I'd have thought the likes of prime would want their own production crew all over it 

If they fail to sell it I hope they just release it on YouTube rather than bin it 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Viewing this as objectively as possible, I don’t think most fans give a toss about Villa. We are akin to West Ham/Everton/Crystal Palace in the ‘making up the numbers’ party. Our ownership doesn’t generate interest like Wrexham or Newcastle. We haven’t done anything outstanding on the field (yet). If we can hold onto top 4 I think it’s possible people take more of an interest. I think it’d take top 3 for there to be a significant response. 

Dated thinking.

• Like 2

We need to sign a Ryan Reynolds and it’ll be a piece of cake selling this material.

I could see Amazon paying something for it though. They love themselves some docu-series about sports. Although I would think they would be the ones initiating it. Not, as you said, Villa filming it then selling the product. 

Sunderland documentary was popular because it documented them failing, which meant it then becomes of interest not to Sunderland fans, but potentially to fans of every other club, because fans like to see other teams fail, and by the same token most aren't interested in watcing all the details on another teams's success

If we were to finish top four and win a trophy, a documentary on that would probably get less viewers than if we documented ourselves getting relegated this season, as the first scenario would appeal to mostly Villa fans only, whereas the second scenario would have fans of many clubs wanting to watch

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Yeah, we should aspire to get to the level of Sunderland or Leeds before we get our own show.

I think we have a lot big personalities in the team - that appeals to those outside our fan base. It isn't just about general public's perception or feeling of the club - little Villa's season review. It can be much deeper than that - which can explore other elements & ideas.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I think we have a lot big personalities in the team - that appeals to those outside our fan base. It isn't just about general public's perception or feeling of the club - little Villa's season review. It can be much deeper than that - which can explore other elements & ideas.

Exactly 

I'm sure a camera following martinez on and off the pitch would get a few viewers by itself, that's another thing to cover, him winning best keeper in the world, I want to see canteen footage when he turns up at BMH having won it 

• Like 1

Â