Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/12/23 at 23:59

13 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Who are our best attacking players against a low block? I'd say Buendia, Tielemans and Traore. All unavailable today. And Pau and Kamara missing didn't help either.

Kamara for me. I think we absolutely win that with him playing. Such stupidity from Martinez to push Maupay. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's right, and also we missed him tonight IMO. 

100%. We needed those incisive through balls. We lacked a lot of zip and guile going forward which isn't going to work against a team parking the bus.

• Like 1

I sat right next to the Sheffield United fans tonight and to be fair they were alright. I had my 9 year old with me and she enjoyed to it. Good bit of banter. But one prick through a vape at one of our fans and I think he didn’t get thrown out. Hope they have a good look at who did that because that could have hurt someone.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are some fans really questioning attitude after that performance ?

We should win every game! Unai out! Get Lampard in!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Who are our best attacking players against a low block? I'd say Buendia, Tielemans and Traore. All unavailable today. And Pau and Kamara missing didn't help either.

I’d actually say Torres because he will bring the ball forward and ping the diagonals. That’s what we missed today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

I was surprised to see that people thought we were doing well at halftime, we barely looked like scoring, their keeper didn't have to make a save, and moves kept breaking down, them letting us have the ball, doesn't equal us playing well, if we want top four we have to be doing much much better than that, we were at home to one of the worst teams ever in this league, not only that but they were playing a weakend team, it was less to do with them parking the bus and more to do with our poor play in the final third, we were completely lacklustre.

And that didn't change much in the second half.

Think this is both too harsh on us and also too harsh on the defensive structure that Sheff Utd adopted. It's always going to be hard against a team that sacrifice all territory and possession for defensive structure. We had in fact had a shot on target (Diaby, early in the first half) though you're right that moves kept breaking down at crucial moments with misplaced passes or choosing the wrong option,

But the bottom line is we completely dominated the game and if we played that game 100 times with that level of domination we'd win 95 of them, it's just our bad luck that they really didn't switch off at all until the frantic last few seconds and did an excellent job maintaining their defensive structure. 

• Like 2

What an annoying game.

We had a good first 6 mins and it was downhill from there.

Pissing about trying to score a perfect goal.

Dinks instead of firing it across the area. Attempted blind passes and clips through 9 defenders instead of shooting from 12 yards.

Three shots second half was it? Watkins scuff, Bailey into the stands and the goal.

Players are to blame rather than officials IMO. Yeah it's unfair, but we're good enough to get by with some bad decisions against Sheff Utd. And we know they're shit, they always are. We aren't.

Bit of arrogance about us in possession as well, which I don't think I've seen before. Konsa and Luiz especially among some others. No urgency. Slow slow slow, no efforts to get it moving. McGinn attempted to at times but he wasn't great either.

It's clearly instructions but how annoying is it in games like that looking at the wide open space in the opposition full back area that we avoid like lava. Irritating.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d actually say Torres because he will bring the ball forward and ping the diagonals. That’s what we missed today.

Lenglet hit a wonderful one to Bailey early on, think that was the Diaby shot on target.

We simply didn't hit it early often enough and then the space reduced as the game went on and we found it very difficult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Truth is that Duran isn’t yet good enough to come on as a sub in circumstances like that.

He was very poor in my opinion. Every touch was heavy, never looked like he had control or was going to make a telling contribution, with the sole exception of the short pass back to Watkins which the latter scuffed. 

11 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Kamara for me. I think we absolutely win that with him playing. Such stupidity from Martinez to push Maupay. 

I was thinking just that whilst watching. You could really sense his absence Luiz most certainly didn't look as positive without Bouba beside him. I thought Luiz was poor tonight, far too pedestrian at times. 

• Like 1

Disappointing result, shame to be without Torres in a game tailor made for him. Disallowed goal was harsh but we've had the rub in recent games so no complaints. 

In the scheme of things it's two points dropped but it shows how far we've come to fight and get something out of it at the end. We get nothing out of a smash and grab like that in the past, the fact we've come away with a point is good sign it its own weird way.