Weekends Football 27/29 October

andykeenan

Spuds aren't responsible for who they play - they are only responsible for winning.

They've done a great job seeing as they lost their biggest player in the build up to the season (compare that with how we did when Jack left).

And while it's fair to argue about luck and weak opponents - winning breeds confidence and they have a very good manager. It would seem more likely to continue than not.

Looking forward to our game against them.

Right so today please I would like Brentford draw or win, Sheffield draw or win, Bournemouth and Burnley can draw 7-7 and let’s say Wolves draw (don’t want them getting too Billy big bollocks again).

Oh and Southampton scrape a 12-0 win.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

What's "Wazza" doing in training? "Stand around lads, don't worry about closing people down. Don't forget to give it away asap if you do get it".

Awful.

I find it interesting how three of the biggest of England's "golden generation" players (Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard) have turned out to be absolutely shit managers. Carrick meanwhile seems to be faring a lot better.

I do wonder sometimes if having a glittering playing career is more of a handicap when it comes to management.

10 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I find it interesting how three of the biggest of England's "golden generation" players (Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard) have turned out to be absolutely shit managers. Carrick meanwhile seems to be faring a lot better.

I do wonder sometimes if having a glittering playing career is more of a handicap when it comes to management.

Gary Neville too

Its no surprise England won nothing as the players were tactically inept and you could see it when they played. Moments of Magic players

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think there's certainly a point there. I also think that the great managers they had played a huge part in the careers of these players, and it's a shame Rooney et al aren't able to take their lessons any further.

There's nothing about Rooney that makes you think he would be a good manager. He was successful because of his physical dominance from a very young age and his being naturally gifted. There's nothing to suggest he looked at the game more deeply or understood tactics or strategy at any level deeper than what he needed to do in the pitch. This was a guy that would often, as a striker, be seen in games making tackles at left back to win the ball and try to carry it the length of the pitch - you can't be successful tactically if that's the kind of thing you felt was going to win matches, and you can't expect every player to put in that kind of performance every week for 90 mins.

• Like 1

Â