Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

I just looked up Nico, wondering what’s she’s up to now…and then read what you will already know.

I can’t work out whether I knew she died and just forgot or I simply never went out of my way to read a bit about her. I feel like I would have done a tiny bit of reading about her when I made the routine effort to get into The VU, but until ten minutes ago I was genuinely of the belief she was alive somewhere, living as a sort of Yoko style artist. 

Edited by Mark Albrighton

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I just looked up Nico, wondering what’s she’s up to now…and then read what you will already know.

I can’t work out whether I knew she died and just forgot or I simply never went out of my way to read a bit about her. I feel like I would have done a tiny bit of reading about her when I made the routine effort to get into The VU, but until ten minutes ago I was genuinely of the belief she was alive somewhere, living as a sort of Yoko style artist. 

It was amazing that she lived so long considering the amount of heroin she took in her lifetime

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bickster said:

It was amazing that she lived so long considering the amount of heroin she took in her lifetime

When I moved oop north, and asked where are the places to go? and all that, one recommendation was "The Warehouse" in Preston, because various famous acts played there. It was basically a scabby nightclub. But anyway, Nico was one such act.

I didn't see it, it was before my time, but she's clearly off her box. 60's icon. 80s washed up druggie.

Still, she had something, for sure.

Edited by blandy
typos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

If we are in the mood to offend the musically remedial, the best version of this song. Better than Glen Campbells. 

No. It's horrible. Jackson Browne's own version has still never been bettered. 

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No. It's horrible. Jackson Browne's own version has still never been bettered. 

I feel we have had this discussion before. For me Nico is streets ahead, but you would struggle to get a bad version of this song. 

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I feel we have had this discussion before. For me Nico is streets ahead, but you would struggle to get a bad version of this song. 

I just can't stand her voice. Zat Chermain accent sounds like something from Allo Allo. 

• Haha 1

On 28/11/2022 at 19:27, bickster said:

John Lydon should have been on the Pan Am 103 flight that blew up over Lockerbie. He didn't get his packing done in time and missed the flight

The perks of being an antichrist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I just can't stand her voice. Zat Chermain accent sounds like something from Allo Allo. 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The perks of being an antichrist. 

Well here's the odd way to connect these two posts. John Lydon was the step father to Ariane Forster AKA Ari Up of The Slits and the New Age Steppers. Ari was German by birth, English was her second language. After the Slits split she eventually relocated to Jamaica

So then her accent became this really odd Germano-English-Patois

Avert your ears...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

According to John Cooper Clarke's autobiography, I Wanna Be Yours, Nico wasn't the easiest person to live with.

Nearly everyone in the 80s Manchester music scene has a Nico story A great deal of them aren't very complimentary and most of them revolve around her being an aloof needy pain in the arse. These days they tend to downplay them because she's now a dead legend but at the time they were less reverential in their telling of the stories

• Like 1

Stephenson 2-18 (abbreviated to St2-18), also known as Stephenson 2 DFK 1 or RSGC2-18, is an enigmatic red supergiant (RSG) or possible extreme red hypergiant (RHG) star in the constellation of Scutum. It lies near the open cluster Stephenson 2, which is located about 5.8 kiloparsecs (19,000 light-years) away from Earth in the Scutum–Centaurus Arm of the Milky Way galaxy, and is assumed to be one of a group of stars at a similar distance, although some studies consider it to be an unrelated or foreground red supergiant. It is among the largest known stars, one of the most luminous red supergiants, and one of the most luminous stars in the Milky Way.

Stephenson 2-18 has an estimated radius of around 2,150 solar radii (1.50×109 kilometres; 10.0 astronomical units), which would correspond to a volume nearly 10 billion times that of the Sun. Taking this estimate as correct, it would take nearly 9 hours to travel around its surface at the speed of light, compared to 14.5 seconds for the Sun. If placed at the center of Earth's Solar System, its photosphere would engulf the orbit of Saturn. 

Wikipedia

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It lies near the open cluster Stephenson 2, which is located about 5.8 kiloparsecs (19,000 light-years) away from Earth 

In Star Wars when we first meet Han Solo he talks about the Falcon making the Kessel run in less that 12 parsecs.

For the longest time (probably a couple of decades) I thought he'd said parsnips. In my mind as a kid that's how I'd heard it and it just stuck.

Harrison: "She made the Kessel run in less that 12 parsnips kid."

• 2 weeks later...

The Black Death decimated Europe.  But it left Poland largely untouched. 

Historians don't know why. But it seems to have been an accumulation of many factors. 

A quarantine set up at the border kept new arrivals segregated.  The quarantine wasn't effective. But many traders from abroad did not want to be quarantined and simply went elsewhere to trade thereby stopping the spread. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks
  • Like 1

Â