David Beckham

Wurzel

1 hour ago, luckyeddie said:

50/50 on these two🤷

Excellent late evening debate 

for all Vicky’s many faults and flaws I think she still likes a bit of how’s your father , not so sure about the other one

Edited by Follyfoot

3 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Thinking about posh spice this late at night will probably give me nightmares 

I agree, it’s not what you really really want at this time of night

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

enjoying the documentary...interesting how people vented their abuse before social media. at least you had the bottle to (even though it's still wrong) do it to a bloke's face. to actually go through the effort of writing a hate letter, whack a stamp on it and post it, is quite an effort just to say you hate a bloke for getting sent off. now players just get monkey emojis DMed to them

personally i was always in the "he's overrated" camp growing up (and got slated for that at school). however, i can't remember what game it was or whether it was for utd or england, he played a game at CM...in basically a CDM role and he was sensational. totally controlling the game, pinging balls all over the place. problem is when a player has that good a cross on them you can't not have them on the wing, but as others have said, couldn't beat a man.

and whether he was correct or not in what he said, hoddle's got a lot to answer for. definitely fueled the fire.

On 05/10/2023 at 11:35, villa4europe said:

there's 2 problems with Beckham

man utd

scoring an overrated goal - he's actually scored far better ones too, I personally don't like long range goals as they're largely reliant on the keeper having a shit starting position 

but other than that yeah he's a decent bloke, almost underrated because of what he was off the field, got to be something somewhere keeping him from being knighted 

i hate that goal of the season is always some 30 yarder that any PL attacker should have in their locker and any PL keeper should save if as  you say, they were positioned correctly. the wonderfully worked team goals or individual brilliance never seem get a look in

matty cash's 2nd vs burnley for example should be a contender. MOTD didn't even bother to show most of the build up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

enjoying the documentary...interesting how people vented their abuse before social media. at least you had the bottle to (even though it's still wrong) do it to a bloke's face. to actually go through the effort of writing a hate letter, whack a stamp on it and post it, is quite an effort just to say you hate a bloke for getting sent off. now players just get monkey emojis DMed to them

personally i was always in the "he's overrated" camp growing up (and got slated for that at school). however, i can't remember what game it was or whether it was for utd or england, he played a game at CM...in basically a CDM role and he was sensational. totally controlling the game, pinging balls all over the place. problem is when a player has that good a cross on them you can't not have them on the wing, but as others have said, couldn't beat a man.

and whether he was correct or not in what he said, hoddle's got a lot to answer for. definitely fueled the fire.

At the end of his career he was playing CDM for PSG so makes sense

2 hours ago, Xela said:

He's not perfect as a person but he was a good player and he carried the England team on his back, when other players kept underperforming. 

The spotlight he had on him seemed far bigger than anything that happens nowadays. The hate against him after WC '98 was insane. He'd gone from being one of the countries golden boys to public enemy number one. It was an age of celebrity that doesn't exist anymore IMO.

Did think the Wimbledon goal was overrated though. He scored many that were better. 

He really didn't carry England on his back. That one Greece game great but that was it

England did nothing incredible in 04 and 06 because of Beckham. If anything his ego to have to play cost England

Beckham summed up the famous golden generation and its failures

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He really didn't carry England on his back. That one Greece game great but that was it

England did nothing incredible in 04 and 06 because of Beckham. If anything his ego to have to play cost England

Beckham summed up the famous golden generation and its failures

Disagree. He was often one of the only players in the England team that cared. It wasn't down to him that England failed. 

• Like 1

Who leaked that email rant about Katherine Jenkins getting honoured before him, that was funny.😂

Very good player though. From the first page George Best basically joked he was all right foot and little else but he was a very very good player indeed out wide.

Not really that good when he went to CM which was the big problem when he went to Madrid and Figo was still first choice on the right. He moved to them at the wrong time really.

Just now, Xela said:

Disagree. He was often one of the only players in the England team that cared. It wasn't down to him that England failed. 

Sven indulged him way too much. He lost effectiveness after being rushed back for 2002 World cup. Were trying him in a quarterback position going into World cup 2006 and it didn't really work.

I was always surprised he wasn't involved for Euro 96 considering he was a regular for Man. United the previous season.

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't disagree that he cared he did but his ability was a different story

He wasnt as good as he or other people thought he was

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who leaked that email rant about Katherine Jenkins getting honoured before him, that was funny.😂

Very good player though. From the first page George Best basically joked he was all right foot and little else but he was a very very good player indeed out wide.

Not really that good when he went to CM which was the big problem when he went to Madrid and Figo was still first choice on the right. He moved to them at the wrong time really.

Pretty sure Beckham thought that was his natural position. That time he tried reinvent himself as a quarterback

His ego was way more than his talent

Tbh watching the doc, it just confirms the view a lot of people (inc Ferguson) had at the time that his wife was part of the problem. She could have waited until after the Argentina game to tell him she was pregnant. There are various points throughout the whole thing where she seems to relish making him prioritise her ahead of the career that has made them so wealthy and famous.

And she could never sing either.

Hoddle was a bit of a prick about it all, but he’s been deliberately cast as a villain for dramatic effect.

I think @Zatmanis being overly harsh on him, as he was a world class player in his prime, but the England team was definitely built around him for far too long, when he just wasn’t the kind of player you could build a team around.

• Like 1

OK, so I've watched now up to the middle of the 4th episode, and while I still think there is a lot to admire about Beckham, his responses to the affair thing were pretty disappointing. I would have had more respect for his handling of the situation if he'd said- 'look, it happened, I'm not proud of it, I know I hurt my Wife, it's no excuse but I was lonely in Madrid, it was a massive mistake, everyone makes mistakes but I've learned from it'. 

As it was it seems his actual persecution after the Argentina sending off seems to have lead to a persecution complex. I get that it's how he's always dealt with setbacks and adversity. Us vs them. It was drilled into him at Man U by Fergie who used it as his main management style. 

In some situations though, you have to hold your hands up and say that maybe I am the one who got it wrong this time. I am to blame. And make it right.

Maybe he has, but the documentary seems to indicate otherwise. 

The isolation caused by the move to Spain seems to have exacerbated it. I wonder what would have happened if he'd have moved to another English club. Guess we'll never know.

At the end of the day he's like all of us, a flawed individual. Human. We're conditioned to idol worship, and maybe the big takeaway is that we should stop treating stars like they are infallible.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xela said:

spacer.png

Â