Jareth

Bold prediction but it’s the new year so I’ll do it.

We’re gonna finish third. That’s based on us continuing our 2023 form through the rest of the season which would see us with 80 points and would have resulted in a third placed finish in each of the last 5 seasons other than one (when it would have resulted in second).

This is how I reckon it will finish:

1. Liverpool

2. city

3. villa

4. Spurs

5. Arsenal 

6. Utd 

7. Brighton 

8. Saudi FC

9. West Ham 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

We’re gonna finish third. That’s based on us continuing our 2023 form through the rest of the season which would see us with 80 points and would have resulted in a third placed finish in each of the last 5 seasons other than one (when it would have resulted in second).

1. Liverpool

2. city

3. villa

4. Spurs

5. Arsenal 

6. Utd 

7. Brighton 

8. Saudi FC

9. West Ham 

Not unrealistic. I think Pool will win it. Anyone but City for me

• Like 2

There are 6 rounds of games in Jan and Feb (ignoring LFC vs NUFC today) and Man City's fixtures look the easiest on paper and Haaland and De Bruyne back in the team will push them up a level. If we are still within 3 points of them by March then we'll have done really well, I think. Ourselves, Liverpool and Arsenal have games of similar difficulty (although they have to play each other again in that period which benefits us). Spurs are sneaking their way back into the picture as well although losing Son, Bissouma and Sarr for a number of games could put the brakes on a bit. 
January recruitment could well prove key to how it all shakes out. If we can improve key areas (RB, backup forward) and others can't then I think we have a chance of staying in contention until the final weeks of the season. It's going to be a fun ride come what may!

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

33 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

1. Liverpool

2. city

3. villa

4. Spurs

5. Arsenal 

6. Utd 

7. Brighton 

8. Saudi FC

9. West Ham 

Interesting as I was just thinking about this myself and came the conclusion that Man City and Liverpool will slowly break away from the group leaving ourselves, Arsenal and Spurs to fight it out. That left me wandering if the disappointment felt by Arsenal to see a title challenge disappear so early might affect them so much that they (relatively) fall apart. You obviously came to the same conclusions that I did.

If I was a villa player,  walking out our tunnel every week, looking up to where it lists the year that we won each major trophy, I would be busting a gut to write 2024 and myself into that glorious history.

This group have an opportunity to really become a legendary Villa team and a legendary Premier League era team full stop.

Would you bet against us?

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, picicata said:

Interesting as I was just thinking about this myself and came the conclusion that Man City and Liverpool will slowly break away from the group leaving ourselves, Arsenal and Spurs to fight it out. That left me wandering if the disappointment felt by Arsenal to see a title challenge disappear so early might affect them so much that they (relatively) fall apart. You obviously came to the same conclusions that I did.

Yeah I think arsenal are mentally weak so the dynamic you describe could well play out. Plus they’ve gone through a slump despite having few injuries- if saliba gets injured again, or odegaard, then they’re done. Spurs and Utd on the other hand can genuinely say they’ve been unlucky with injuries so should revert to a higher performance level going forward 

I don't think anyone other than city have the ability to pull away from the pack, especially with De B coming back. Liverpool,  not convinced when I have seen them play and I can see them losing to Newcastle,  not sure why I just can. 

The premier league is as competitive as ever and as we have seen over the last few game anyone can beat anyone given the right circumstances.

Hopefully we can get back to playing for the love of it rather than for points, just go out there and enjoy yourself is the way to play it. I'm not sure we can though,  watching Emery lose his composure on the sidelines isn't helpful, Hopefully we can calm down a bit and start to play with no fear. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

I don't think anyone other than city have the ability to pull away from the pack, especially with De B coming back. Liverpool,  not convinced when I have seen them play and I can see them losing to Newcastle,  not sure why I just can. 

The premier league is as competitive as ever and as we have seen over the last few game anyone can beat anyone given the right circumstances.

Hopefully we can get back to playing for the love of it rather than for points, just go out there and enjoy yourself is the way to play it. I'm not sure we can though,  watching Emery lose his composure on the sidelines isn't helpful, Hopefully we can calm down a bit and start to play with no fear. 

Without salah Liverpool will probably start falling down the table. Not too far as it will only be 4-5 games depending on when exactly he leaves for international duty. But say they only pick up 5 points in those games that will make a massive difference, they play Bournemouth, Arsenal, Burnley, Chelsea in the games he's most likely to miss and he may not be 100% for the Brentford game either. 

I think City will win it by 5-10 points tbh. Liverpool and Arsenal are better than us on paper but I can see both dropping points. 

Honestly, outside of City IMO, it’s too close to call. Spurs can be brilliant on their day too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

We are going to win this. Ignore this at your peril.

I love the belief, I’d love to override my genetic Villa pessimism but I’m not quite with you at this juncture 😂

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think City will win it by 5-10 points tbh. Liverpool and Arsenal are better than us on paper but I can see both dropping points. 

Honestly, outside of City IMO, it’s too close to call. Spurs can be brilliant on their day too. 

Yep, Man City have been pretty pants this season for them and yet they are two points off the top.  If they decide to turn up within the next month or so I don’t think anybody keeps up with them.

We all have positives and negatives and like you I don’t see much between us, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs.  I think us and Liverpool having the better managers will make the difference from 2nd to 5th

Edited by nick76

12 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

We are going to win this. Ignore this at your peril.

I love this optimism and really want to be there and if it wasn’t for City and it was just the other teams I could get onboard but not just yet.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I love this optimism and really want to be there and if it wasn’t for City and it was just the other teams I could get onboard but not just yet.

We’ve scraped past our dodgy patch. We will have a full squad, barring Mings and Emi being fully fit and other than that will be fully functioning,  Ramsey flying down the left with Alex. Rejuvenated midfield with options, and the ever building Bailey and Diarby understanding plus a couple of clever signings from Monchi

Buendia 83rd min strike to beat Liverpool and let the celebrations begin 

then we win the conference league

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

We’ve scraped past our dodgy patch. We will have a full squad, barring Mings and Emi being fully fit and other than that will be fully functioning,  Ramsey flying down the left with Alex. Rejuvenated midfield with options, and the ever building Bailey and Diarby understanding plus a couple of clever signings from Monchi

Buendia 83rd min strike to beat Liverpool and let the celebrations begin 

then we win the conference league

Now you are getting me drunk on optimism.

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Now you are getting me drunk on optimism.

Sniff it up like a big fat line of hundred percent victory

• Haha 4