Jareth

Is it likely that we'll win the title? No.

Is it possible that we'll win the title? Like jayEm said, we'll have a better idea by December 9, but as of right now, I have to say, yes.

And as long as it's possible, I'm going to hope.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jayEm said:

Spurs, City and Arsenal in our next four.

On the evening of December 9th this place could (will probably) be much more tempered, realistic.

Or it could be absolute mayhem in here.

I'll be at Villa Park! Can't wait. City are beatable this season but we have to be at our very best.

28 minutes ago, TomC said:

Is it likely that we'll win the title? No.

Is it possible that we'll win the title? Like jayEm said, we'll have a better idea by December 9, but as of right now, I have to say, yes.

And as long as it's possible, I'm going to hope.

I'm most interested to see how our defense holds up against Arsenal and City. I have zero complaints from the first 12 games really but I wouldn't say our defending looks rock solid, as much as the high line seems to work consistently. I would not be amazed if we saw another Newcastle-style result against us.

• Like 1

In my life, just shy of 40, Villa have finished 2nd twice, 4th, 5th and 6th multiple times. 

We shouldn't be treating it as a sort of one off, flash in the pan if we are in the mix. We are a big club, it is in our DNA to be at the top table, we have just under performed for most of the past 20 years. We have as much right as the others to dine at the top table if it comes to it.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Hope Andrea Bocelli got a slot open for the last day of the PL season. We need him to sing Nessun Dorma after we lift the PL title 

Best thing about Grealish leaving is not hearing Sweet **** Caroline as much

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Can't see past City.

IF they don't win it, Arsenal or Liverpool will.

It's then a toss up as to who is the best of the rest. I could make a strong case that we are. 

Newcastle: Injuries and Europe will hurt them. Rumours of Howe's job in danger? 
Spurs: Injuries and lack of squad depth. Losing Madison for as long as they have will really hurt them. He's their best player. 
Chelsea: I think they'll slowly improve but I look at their team on paper and it's not better than ours.
United: God knows how they're only 4 points behind us given how poor they've been. They have some decent players but I think we can finish above them. 
Brighton: Seem to be struggling a little this season. I think losing Caicedo and Macallister has hurt them, even if they are bringing through more exceptional players. I still expect them to be fighting for top 6/7. 

Villa: Ramsey and Moreno to return to a team that has managed to amass 25 points at this stage without them. Unrivalled home form. Excellent manager. ECL is a concern if we start to pick up an injury or two. Away form does need to improve.

I think 4th is on. I'd happily take 6th and an ECL win though. We should also go strong in the FA Cup (if we can). 

genuinely think we need to have a recount of Utd's points. In my head they've been dreadful and then I look at the league table and they are in bloody 6th - with a -3 goal difference?! eh?!

23 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do you want to bet against us?

Ha. I just don’t think there are any set of circumstances imaginable that result in us finishing above City. Liverpool have more depth than us, albeit losing Salah for an extended period of time would massively hurt them. Arsenal the same. They’d need to lose two or three players I think for us to have a chance of finishing above them. 

Outside of those three teams, I think you could form an argument that we’re the best of the rest.  

We’re making ground though!