Ratings & Reactions: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/09/23 at 22:59

11 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Glad we were defensively solid. We needed that away from home. A lot of home games coming up now hope we can go on a run. 

Our defence was breached several times.....The clean sheet was a combination of they just failed to score and our Keeper was brilliant.....Good job it was Chelsea and not Newcastle.

The opposition are still gettting around the back of us, and breaching the lines with timely runs, this was still evident.....but the result was great.

If we want to sustain this points haul, we have to be more miserly at the back and stop the runners.

Edited by TRO

11 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Feeling more encouraged? We saw improvements from our defensive players, namely Kamara, Pau and Konsa.

Far from a perfect performance but a definite step in the right direction…hopefully this is the beginning of a major upturn and some consistency…

I’m still really concerned by McGinn’s form… Ramsey could take his place.

Big fan of Zaniolo and believe he is going to go from strength to strength for us…

Great to have Ollie off the mark and maybe he can go on another goalscoring run now…

Thank you Unai 🙌

For sure.

I think its really difficult to talk about breaches to the defensive line, after a clean sheet.....but its what I saw, Jackson on another day would have buried that....I saw similar things at Newcastle, but hey ho....we was a bit better, yesterday.

I hope that away win, enhances the belief in the team.

However after playing Newcastle, Liverpool and Chelsea away, to be in our position is encouraging.

I am certainly not unhappy with us.....just pointing out (Imo) where we can improve.

Edited by TRO

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

Our defence was breached several times.....The clean sheet was a combination of they just failed to score and our Keeper was brilliant.....Good job it was Chelsea and not Newcastle.

The opposition are still gettting around the back of us, and breaching the lines with timely runs, this was still evident.....but the result was great.

If we want to sustain this points haul, we have to be more miserly at the back and stop the runners.

Yep, something that worries me going forward.  More clinical strikers would have finished us off yesterday. We need to find a balance, a deeper line away from home, at least until we get some players back from injury and the team gels a bit more.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

i think it sometimes feels worse than it actually is - i counted five times they got in behind us over the course of the game, but three of those were offside. Because the refereeing teams let those run through before putting the flag up, it seems like we're constantly under threat and that we're wide open when for much of the time it's actually just our plan working properly.

I thought we controlled that game, were unlucky not to go in ahead at half time and restricted Chelsea to only two or three real chances in the game - I think if we can start putting more of our own away we can get rid of the unnecessary nervousness we've had in this game and the Palace one.

This. When we're playing an offside trap it often feels like we've been lucky not to concede (more), when in reality there is nothing lucky about a well worked offside trap.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

i think it sometimes feels worse than it actually is - i counted five times they got in behind us over the course of the game, but three of those were offside. Because the refereeing teams let those run through before putting the flag up, it seems like we're constantly under threat and that we're wide open when for much of the time it's actually just our plan working properly.

I thought we controlled that game, were unlucky not to go in ahead at half time and restricted Chelsea to only two or three real chances in the game - I think if we can start putting more of our own away we can get rid of the unnecessary nervousness we've had in this game and the Palace one.

I accept what you are saying, probably why I rated the Linesman as " Man of the match".....tongue firmly in cheek.

Against Liverpool and Newcastle it didn't work, and I fear that will be the case against the better teams.....I would be lying, if I said I like it....it makes me nervy.

I prefer the players to control the game not the officials, If we are relying on the officials, they have to be competent, in some games, we might be disappointed.

Our style is not everyones cup of tea, but we have to accept it....and if we are winning, we do......when we lose, there becomes more  of an appetite for discussion....Legia highlighted some of the downsides, as did Newcastle and Liverpool, and the Crystal Palace goal was from the same stable......wide open.

When we win, it seems like nit picking....but I think the issues are always just waiting around the corner.

I think our game control was enhanced after the Sending off, and our goal...but Poch thought they was the better side, just goes to show how opinions differ.

I don't want to misconstrue my comments as a moan, because the win was great, and for me, thats the holy grail.....but I am not convinced with everything we do, particularly defensively.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I dont understand why that would render mocking from you, reading the posts there is not a shadow of a doubt that @TRO is very happy about the result as we all fellow Villa fans are. Saying that he has a slight worry about the defence when even Emery afterwards says that we needed our goalkeeper isn't that unreasonable is it?

Personally I think we looked very good defensively compared to the last game and compared to Liverpool and Newcastle, I'm particularly pleased with Pau's progress and I love Konsa, even Cash who I have some doubts about was really good. Having said that, we did at times struggle with Sterling and Chilwell running through, which perhaps is unavoidable, but if we strive for perfection as I'm sure Emery and @TRO are doing, then that's something to have a look at and improve on.

Thank you for your kind comments....and your view is right, just looking at things to make us even better and more resillient....I like to think, I analyse the game, and not just the result....albeit accept that the result is the most important.

Criticism of opinions is fine, I don't mind being challenged by anyone.....because I ensure I have the rationale to back up my opinion.

Where the irony kicks in, is where the same critics appear, in almost military fashion....They know who they are, and they know my opinions differ from theirs, so there's nothing new to see...all they do is remind me.

It wouldn't matter, what I said about anything....They would be there with there dissenting views....it's the consistency of their dissidence, is actually quite humourous.

I think its nigh on impossible to disagree with everything a person says, but hey, they find a way.

Any way great win and.....

UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Yep, something that worries me going forward.  More clinical strikers would have finished us off yesterday. We need to find a balance, a deeper line away from home, at least until we get some players back from injury and the team gels a bit more.

Thanks for your Honesty.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

This. When we're playing an offside trap it often feels like we've been lucky not to concede (more), when in reality there is nothing lucky about a well worked offside trap.

I accept that....but to do it in a regular fashion, is inviting an Antidote.

Teams will find a way of beating it, and when they do goals, look so easy and simple.....all the hard work gets negated in a flash....thats the danger with it.

Relying on the offside trap, is nothing new, its been tried and shelved, by many teams of the past.....It can still be a tool to use, but the regularity and the total reliance on it can be too conspicuous.

Now and again fine, but too much attracts attention.

Tracking runners with aplomb, is more my game.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, sne said:

Dropping the defense deeper will open up space between defense and midfield for our opponents to exploit unless we also drop the midfield deeper. That will in turn lead to the attackers being more isolated and us having a harder time scoring unless we aim to be a pure counter attack side.

Our offside tactic worked great despite playing against rapid players like Sterling and Jackson. We are open to the long ball over the defense but that is a trade off that I'm happy to make considering all the positives it gives us as is evident by the results from last season and this. Even with key defenders out injured.

I accept, there is no fool proof system...and the question inevitably is...is the trade off worth it?

But may I say, maybe it needs to be reigned in against the better sides......we don't have to play the same way against every opposition, surely.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and as you allude to....winning is the objective.

Maybe, when we lose, the reasons can be more clearer, as to why.

I have to say, I don't like the long ball over the top.....it has no sophistication, no clever play, or thoughtful manipulation......its just a raw, simplistic way for opposition to score a goal.....it renders a team "easy to play against"

I have to accept the bad with the good, and as long as we win more than we lose, fine.....but i don't like it.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

For sure.

I think its really difficult to talk about breaches to the defensive line, after a clean sheet.....but its what I saw, Jackson on another day would have buried that....I saw similar things at Newcastle, but hey ho....we was a bit better, yesterday.

I hope that away win, enhances the belief in the team.

However after playing Newcastle, Liverpool and Chelsea away, to be in our position is encouraging.

I am certainly not unhappy with us.....just pointing out (Imo) where we can improve.

For sure TRO, we’re still not there but we are making progress now. @OutByEaster? summed it up well back there… with the high line and offside trap teams will try or appear to break through but if we are disciplined and get it right (like last season) they won’t be successful - players will be caught offside much more than not. It’s what we performed with aplomb last season and we were by far the most successful team in Europe for it…

Chelsea didn’t get through successfully that many times and we are going to keep improving. I think we all just have to accept and get on board with how Unai wants us to play and acknowledge that their have been “teething problems” this time around with the disruptions and absences.

If not for Sanchez, we would have scored a few more goals too. Now our attacking players are improving aswell. Ollie back on the scoresheet is massive for us too and should do him the world of good.

Big sign of encouragement for me - Unai has managed to recover us again from a poor result and performance (vs Legia) and get us back on track.

We seem to have no problems threatening and attacking the opposition, creating chances and peppering their GK with shots (Zaniolo is going to help in this sense, a real upgrade over Bailey. Ramsey too now that he’s back. I eagerly await the return of Moreno who is much better and less lackadaisical than Digne).

Kamara is back, Emi is shining.

I’m just concerned about McGinn… largely anonymous and too passive so far this season.

Konsa and Pau will keep improving but I can’t wait to have Carlos back.

• Like 2

Just reading the BBC summary of yesterday's action and they say "They created at least half a dozen clear-cut opportunities against Aston Villa and failed to take a single one - other than Axel Disasi's offside header - and that's hardly a new story." and then later "Mauricio Pochettino's hosts fashioned plenty of chances before Gusto's red card" completely failing to mention that we'd had more shots on target, more shots in total and more corners than Chelsea before the red card.  Yes Emi had a great game - but actually (maybe because it is Emi) I don't think he made more or better saves than Sanchez.  Indeed the save for Zaniolo in particular was top class.  Several of Chelsea's best chances were flagged late for offside and I think that the reporter must have missed a couple of those.  I was about to get annoyed and then I thought - you know what who cares.  Let them undersell us and big up teams like Brighton and Newcastle and the Sly 6.  Fine.  We're quite happy being under the radar and ticking along quite happily in 6th.

BBC write up

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Thank you for your kind comments....and your view is right, just looking at things to make us even better and more resillient....I like to think, I analyse the game, and not just the result....albeit accept that the result is the most important.

Criticism of opinions is fine, I don't mind being challenged by anyone.....because I ensure I have the rationale to back up my opinion.

Where the irony kicks in, is where the same critics appear, in almost military fashion....They know who they are, and they know my opinions differ from theirs, so there's nothing new to see...all they do is remind me.

It wouldn't matter, what I said about anything....They would be there with there dissenting views....it's the consistency of their dissidence, is actually quite humourous.

I think its nigh on impossible to disagree with everything a person says, but hey, they find a way.

Any way great win and.....

UTV

I certainly wasn’t reminding you yesterday but just felt that we should all embrace the win in the immediate aftermath of the game. Winning is great, regardless of how it happens. It just felt a little downbeat in the post match chat.

Of course we all have our concerns about our defensive side of game. It’s clearly evident. Time to analyse and critique is not always best in the immediate aftermath when fans are boyant. Crikey just look at the Palace game if we hadn’t scored those two late goals?

Anyway, I certainly don’t disagree with your points, just that it felt a little labouring the point straight after a great win. Very much hope I didn’t offend you or anyone else. Onwards and upwards UTV

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Yes, this isn't an elite Chelsea of old but, it is still Chelsea away with many expensive international players in their side.

Across the players that played yesterday, ours had more combined international caps. Seven of our players had 20+ caps compared just three of theirs, Silva (113), Sterling (82) and Caicedo (34) who between them were over 70% of their combined caps. We played three uncapped players to their four.

This is not the same Chelsea, and the result didn't surprise me at all. Across the board we have the more experienced players, both in the PL and internationally. We have by far the better form in the short and medium term. We have the more successful manager. The hype that Chelsea have been getting from all corners coming into this season always felt way off to me and so far the hype is looking as unwarranted as I thought it was. We didn't even need to be good yesterday to come away with all three points.

Can't argue they don't have the more expensive side, but that means nothing right now when they've paid so heavy for potential.