Aston Villa vs Cost of Living

jackbauer24

Aston Villa vs Cost of Living  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Have you changed your financial relationship with AVFC?

• No - Villa's success means I know I'll spend more and it's worth it
    • No - Villa are one of my top priorities and I'll maintain it somehow
    • Yes - I've cut back on attending League games
    • Yes - I've cut back on attending Cup games
    • Yes - I've cut back on match day spending (drinks/food)
    • Yes - I've cut back on merchandise

I'm interested in whether your financial approach to Villa has changed in light of the ongoing cost of living crisis?

With season tickets, and tickets in general, shooting up in price, match day costs up, merchandising costs up and cup game tickets seemingly at inflated prices - have you begun to re-evaluate any spending you normally have with Villa, be that a season ticket holder or watching the football on TV and buying the occasional bit of merchandise?

I feel the gap between Villa fans expectations/ financial health and the approach of the board towards raising income hasn't been this wide in a very long time. But is it grumbling fans or is there a real change - Carabao Cup ticket sales may suggest fans are struggling to absorb costs so easily.

Yep I only the shirt when it goes on sale in the new year, very much into my wearing retro villa tops in the first half of the season to games because the shirt prices are silly now. I don’t buy new training gear anymore either. 

• Like 1

I was meant to be over for the Palace game, but couldn’t afford to fork out the total cost for plane tickets, hotels etc. That’s something I’d normally be able to do at least twice a year, but now I wasn’t even close to being able to cover the cost without dipping into my savings. 

Was halfway through my post when my lift came for work. Just had to delete my original post and change my option to cutting back on games because just found out work has dropped off a cliff and next 6-12 months looks grim work wise . Knew it was coming but didn’t know the outlook was so bad . Might have to try get work elsewhere but as it stands I’ll have to cut back .

• Like 2

Firstly, it’s other commitments that prevent me attending more games than I do (I rarely, rarely get the opportunity to go to games). 

In addition to this, while I could afford a £40/50 ticket plus the extra costs, I don’t consider that particularly good value so the temptation to go when I do get the chance is limited.

It would be like if a box of weetabix cost £10. I like weetabix, I can technically afford to pay £10. No chance I’m actually paying it, I’ll just go without weetabix.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Was halfway through my post when my lift came for work. Just had to delete my original post and change my option to cutting back on games because just found out work has dropped off a cliff and next 6-12 months looks grim work wise . Knew it was coming but didn’t know the outlook was so bad . Might have to try get work elsewhere but as it stands I’ll have to cut back .

Hope things get better. Was in a similar position and I made the choice to go self employed.

• Like 1

I'm actually spending more, I paid over £40 to join as a member this summer as in previous seasons I was unable to get tickets to games and went to my first game in over four years at the weekend against Palace.

My financial situation has improved though, I moved in with my girlfriend last December and I'm now renting out my flat at a very good rate (as prices have shot up for renting) and consequently I have more income and plan to go to more games this season. I am however probably different to most on here though in that I do not live in Birmingham or the surrounding areas, I live all the way down in Surrey so it is a trek getting to a game especially if there is traffic. I have family in Birmingham so plan to stay over next time I visit to break up the journey.

I am sympathetic to anyone who is struggling to afford going to games, as it must be frustrating, and must also feel a kick in the teeth that prices are so high during this difficult period. My own view is all the top sides charge a lot for tickets, so if we become a consistently top side in this division then for me it is worth it because I want Villa to be successful. We need to see evidence of that of course, one 7th placed finish doesn't prove anything yet, but if we push on and break into the CL places regularly I think the increased ticket prices are worth it. But I can understand those against it too.

My financial situation has improved too and I’m as well of as I’ve ever been, however that’s just because I am young and coming off the training programme at work so there is a rise in the pipeline. Although I live in east London now luckily my mortgage is quite cheap and I don’t have to pay the extortionate “room rent” like some of my colleagues do.

Super off peak train back to the family home in Nuneaton is only £22 open return so for games I can easily crash here and get back at a more convenient time, also easy to get to the ground from here via rail or car. However I am being lined up for a project at work where I need to be in 5 days per week and so might need to fork out more for a peak train journey to make it to new street and then villa park before 8pm for the European games.

i didn’t opt to buy a ticket for the Everton game as villa decided to sell my ST seat to a scouser instead, it should be villa seats for villa fans! it shows the growing disconnect between the commercial team and fans, they didn’t have to give Everton that stand but did at the expense of villa fans 

I've never spent that much on Villa, but my spend goes up each season by choice partly because i earn more and partly because i've become more obsessed with Villa and especially seeing them live.

I'm happy with that, though i think the ticket prices are at a limit of what i'd be willing to pay for 12 matches per season.

i do feel for those priced out of games. i can't imagine what it must be like. i'm lucky that my income far exceeds my outgoings (not on a super high salary, just live a modest life with no kids and a 2nd income from gambling)

for me, it's my primary hobby. if flights all doubled in price, i'd stop going on holiday. if beer doubled in price, i'd stop drinking. my season ticket could double in price though, and i'd probably still renew it (i'd probably be sat in the ground on my own if that happened though but at least i'd stand a chance of a pint at half time!).

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Firstly, it’s other commitments that prevent me attending more games than I do (I rarely, rarely get the opportunity to go to games). 

In addition to this, while I could afford a £40/50 ticket plus the extra costs, I don’t consider that particularly good value so the temptation to go when I do get the chance is limited.

It would be like if a box of weetabix cost £10. I like weetabix, I can technically afford to pay £10. No chance I’m actually paying it, I’ll just go without weetabix.

I'm a combo of 👆this👆 plus RRP for new shirts is ridiculous (obvs I get that this is a blanket thing, not just a Villa thing) so I'll only buy them at the end of season clearance and only then if they're actually nice shirts, the last couple of seasons they've all been such poor efforts that even on sale I've not bothered (think the last kit I bought was the 21/22 white away one).

Other merchandise doesn't interest me as it's generally overpriced tat (again that's a football thing, not a Villa thing), unless it's something so hilariously awful it falls over into wanting it for a jape e.g. the Borussia Monchengladbach toasted sandwich maker I once bought which burnt the badge into the bread (which broke after two uses, because of course it did) or the Fiorentina fake tattoo sleeve which has forever since lived in a box with the rest of our fancy dress gear (gimp suits, luchador masks etc).

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 2

Well I am at the opposite end of the spectrum to some of you on here, I am older (65 now) and will be retiring at the end of this year, and I live near Cambridge, so that is a 4 hr return journey for me every home game.

It is several things really for me, ticket prices (although I may qualify for concession next year), fuel costs and the journey time seems to be getting longer (maybe more traffic).

I love being in the upper Holte (although the facilities are becoming worse), you cannot beat a live game, I never ever watch the Villa on telly, they always lose when I do that and it is too stressful ! So if I decide at the end of this season that's it for me after following the Villa ince the late 1960's, I will always look out for the results and match reports but all good things come to an end and sometimes that's forced on us all due to illness, prices, personal financial situation, work - or lack of it etc

As a ST holder I intend to go to as many as I can get to this season with a view that this season might be it for me...

We’re ok for money so myself and my son are members who buy tickets for most home games (I buy both, he’s 11). He then always likes some chips at a game which I buy. I’ve bought him the away kit and he wants the 3rd kit for his upcoming birthday. The kids kits are astronomically priced, it’s actually outrageous. So will encourage him to use any birthday money he gets to buy it himself if he really wants it.

Even though we could probably afford all the home games, we’re not so well off that I don’t have to think about money and the value of things. On top of that, my daughter is not a football fan so it’s more time out of the home going to all the games. As a result, we’ve gone to all the home games this season and I’ve bought tickets for all the European group home games but I’m giving the Everton cup game and the Brighton game a miss. Not sure when my next league game will be. Maybe West Ham or Luton.

Was also going to say, my granddaughter who is 9 yo loves footy, she has never been at a game but she likes being in goal, looked in the shop on Saturday for a Villa green Martinez shirt for a child.....£55.....ridiculous...not paying that

Maybe ST holders should get a discount in the shop to make up for losing the Holte Suite and the disaster that is the "corporate" terrace view. 

Â