Aston Villa vs Cost of Living

jackbauer24

Aston Villa vs Cost of Living  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Have you changed your financial relationship with AVFC?

• No - Villa's success means I know I'll spend more and it's worth it
    • No - Villa are one of my top priorities and I'll maintain it somehow
    • Yes - I've cut back on attending League games
    • Yes - I've cut back on attending Cup games
    • Yes - I've cut back on match day spending (drinks/food)
    • Yes - I've cut back on merchandise

I wonder how many of the magic '30k waiting list' would actually go through with buying a season ticket or whether they're on it just incase they're in a position to get one when the time comes. 

My daughter is on the waiting list but she's started to not want to go when my little boy can't make it with his season ticket. 

I think the club should be wary of what the ticket sales were like 6 years ago, but I think we'd sell out any season we're a PL club now. The league just keeps growing now and everyone wants a piece of it. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

This is why they're doing what they're doing at the moment. Shame. 

How does a team like Leeds make £677 per person whilst we only make £386 per person.   What would the big difference be?  It can't be ticket prices and it surely can't be the amount of hospitality packages on offer.   What else adds £300 per person?

My priorities have always been laid elsewhere with regard to my income, having a season ticket has always been a commitment of time and money too far for me, I had one year as a season ticket holder in the Holte End and it was an incredible experience that I was lucky to have. Even though my income has increased as I've got older, so have my responsibilities to other things. Now I have a young family and having a season ticket just wouldn't be a responsible use of my time or finances. 

The prices for an odd game don't seem unreasonable to me, as someone who's only looking to attend a game or two a year and make a big deal of it, but I can see how it's unsustainable for those who want to attend every game.

If you look at the lists of average ticket prices I wouldn't say we are out of place in terms of what we charge for where we are, and that's a simplification I know there are other factors, but it's not like we are charging London prices, or top 4 prices, it doesn't feel like we are trying to gouge every penny if that makes sense, I just think we are where we are in the food chain, and without the cost of living crisis, everything would seem much more reasonable. Shirt prices are a different matter, it is ridiculous, for every club, and has only been getting worse for a number of years now, a pro shirt now costs more than I have ever spent on any item of clothing by some distance.

It does concern me how many seem to be priced out of attending as often as they'd like/at all, it concerns me that people can't afford to take their kids to games especially. But at the same time, it's not all on the club, they just react to the market, as any business does, and that market right now is a mess thanks to many external factors beyond their control.

It's an unpleasant situation that isn't just restricted to Aston Villa, or Football. I mean, you nearly have to take out a mortgage just to buy a block of cheese at the moment...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

If we think we have it bad on merch...

Went to the Bernabeu and had to get a shirt while I was there (AVFC 82 on the back of it, obviously).

200 euros (including the letters)...

Was also in Germany earlier in the year and went to see Bayern. Much more reasonable there - only 100 euros. You can tell Bayern is fan owned!

However, usually I just get a new Villa shirt each year with my favorite player of the season once they've gone on sale.

Juventus charge a lot for general sale tickets hence why it’s rarely full. A club that size with a huge worldwide fan base can’t rarely fill a 40k stadium 

3 hours ago, villarule123 said:

I wonder how many of the magic '30k waiting list' would actually go through with buying a season ticket or whether they're on it just incase they're in a position to get one when the time comes. 

My daughter is on the waiting list but she's started to not want to go when my little boy can't make it with his season ticket. 

I think the club should be wary of what the ticket sales were like 6 years ago, but I think we'd sell out any season we're a PL club now. The league just keeps growing now and everyone wants a piece of it. 

I’d say we’d easily sell 10k more season tickets. Possibly 15k but I honestly don’t think we’d sell 20k more so that puts the 30k waiting list as not reliable . Premier league football and football in general is very fashionable now and we were one of the last fanbases of the so called big clubs in England to catch the premier league buzz where we pretty much sell out regardless now . 

42 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

I'm not going as much. The tickets have gone up in price and the facilities are going downhill. Apart from the football the overall villa Park experience isn't good value for money at all. 

This is a great point. The match day experience is poorer now than ever for me outside the football on the pitch. The traffic, the parking, the merch, the food, the wifi and cell reception, the non football entertainment, the facilities feel like it’s declined over the years.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Juventus charge a lot for general sale tickets hence why it’s rarely full. A club that size with a huge worldwide fan base can’t rarely fill a 40k stadium 

Not to do with your point and I know Juventus are a huge club, biggest in Italy etc, but I actually can’t think of anyone I have ever met in any other country who would support or identify with them at all. Odd one that just struck me.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Not to do with your point and I know Juventus are a huge club, biggest in Italy etc, but I actually can’t think of anyone I have ever met in any other country who would support or identify with them at all. Odd one that just struck me.

Same here but apparently they have huge support Italy and worldwide . Not sure why really . 

I quit going to live games in 2010 for various reasons of which finance was only a part. Occasionally I've had the itch to go for a one off game but adding up the cost of travel to ans from Cardiff and I can list so many more things I want to do with my time and money. A 40 quid ticket plus either similar in petrol or more if train, plus maybe grub and a drink and that's 100 quid :o not a chance I do that over say that going towards a weekend away now and then, multiple theatre or cinema trips, book splurged or whatever. Or I'll watch local sport instead.

Obviously not the club's fault I live far away and those costs. But my arbitrary limit in my head is 25 quid a ticket, 30 for a big game. I did enjoy seeing the November friendly at Cardiff which was handy for me, and if my plans ever have me in Birmingham anyway I'd love to incorporate a match but that would also mean a ticket for friend / wife so again cost goes up further and getting tickets ad hoc seems more or less impossible for one off games anyway

6 hours ago, wishywashy said:

This is why they're doing what they're doing at the moment. Shame. 

That's laughably out of date - it is though a good explanation of why they've done what they did - in the two seasons since that graph was made our number has more than doubled. We now have the 6th highest average season ticket price and we're looking to add an additional 3,500 hospitality places.

People talk about this as if it's the start of our journey to matching up with the teams above us - we've made that journey over the last two years, and when the new stand is built, we'll mostly likely be in the top five on that list.

6 hours ago, villarule123 said:

The new stand will add around 4,000 new season tickets to the availability - with the conversion of more general admission tickets to hospitality, the availability against demand in a couple of years time won't be a huge leap from where it is today - if 10% of the list take up a ticket, we'll still be pretty much full, week in, week out.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's laughably out of date - it is though a good explanation of why they've done what they did - in the two seasons since that graph was made our number has more than doubled. We now have the 6th highest average season ticket price and we're looking to add an additional 3,500 hospitality places.

People talk about this as if it's the start of our journey to matching up with the teams above us - we've made that journey over the last two years, and when the new stand is built, we'll mostly likely be in the top five on that list.

I had a flick through the accounts and as expected it seems to be just gate receipts income divided by average attendance. Sadly the accounts up to the end of the 2021/22 season are the most up to date figures available publicly!

I found an article from a few days ago that was claiming that this has since increased to around £872 (which would align with what you're saying), albeit whatever data they used to reach that conclusion isn't publicly available: seems to be based off some ticket price comparison tool. In which case you'll be expecting gate receipts to more than double from the £16m in our 21/22 accounts! It sounds right, but bleeding heck.. pun not intended.

https://www.consultancy.uk/news/35386/average-fans-of-premier-league-clubs-paying-up-to-2000-per-season

The UK remains in the grip of a cost-of-living crisis – yet many of the country’s top football clubs are seemingly unmoved by the plight of their fans. A new study suggests that the spiralling costs of tickets, club merchandise and food and drink are seeing the average fans of 10 Premier League clubs pay upwards of £800 for the privilege of supporting their team for a single season.

2023-09-13-095630140-Average_fans_of_Premier_League_clubs_paying_up_to__2_000_per_season.png.0bc2ea25b5302f8208779e95a71006cf.png

Edited by wishywashy
  • Thanks 1

Â