Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Crystal Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/23 at 22:59

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'm not certain but think that was being trialed in a different competition by fifa initially. Pretty sure the rule in the PL is unchanged. They did increase the width of the line they draw for the comparison to increase the margin of error in favour of the striker, but that might have been last year anyway.

Cheers for that explanation. I was wondering a little why noone mentioned it. And the reason is that I as usual missed a crucial part there. Oh well, we won anyway. 😊

14 minutes ago, allani said:

the manner of the win is probably better for morale and for our prospects this season as it will give the players a lot of confidence that they can turn matches around and that if we can hang on in games then we've got the fire power to score. 

This,  an important factor moving forward. Similar to Leicester coming back against us to win 3-2 when they won the league. We're not doing that be maybe top 4, onto Chelsea away, statement win there and we should start to make people respect us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allani said:

PS - One other thing that made me chuckle was the Palace assistant moaning about how long it took to make the VAR decision and implying that it was the wrong decision if it took that long to confirm.  I think he forgot that the ref awarded the penalty on the field and the VAR check was to overturn the penalty, not to award it.  So if there was a 30 or 60 second limit to make a decision otherwise it stays with the onfield decision - then it would have stayed* as a penalty.

* The caveat here being that if there was a time limit then the ref might not have had time to review the VAR footage and so been pressed into accepting whatever decision the VAR officials made.  Obviously the way to get around that is to do what they do in rugby and have all the VAR footage relayed onto the big screens so that the refereee can watch and review with the VAR officials without having to run over to a monitor on the halfway line.  I really don't understand why football has decided not to do that.  I think they were worried that it might rile fans if they disagreed with the decision but surely leaving fans ignorant of the reasoning does that anyway.

I thought exactly the same thing.

I thought it was a pen but can see why there were some doubts, and I'd probably go the other way if it were against us.  An element of karma maybe after we had a pen wrongfully awarded against us at Selhurst Park last year which cost us the game, not to mention the Grealish "dive" incident a few seasons ago. 

Torres is still not quite at it defensively, Watkins looks short on confidence, and Zaniolo I thought wanted to hold on to the ball a bit too long and take too many touches when he could have played others in earlier.   

I think today showed we have to be patient when teams sit deep.  For 20 minutes we couldn't seem to figure out what to do, and it's probably where we miss a tricky no 10 type like Buendia or Coutinho.  But then we created 4 or 5 chances and should have gone in a couple ahead - Cash had a mare in front of goal, Watkins fluffed yet another good chance, and Diaby was unlucky with the offside. 

Second half started with mistake after mistake, caught in possession, giving it away, slips, defensive lapses all over the place, not creating much.  At about 70 minutes it looked so much like it just wasn't going to be our day that I said I'd happily take a draw.  But then I think our sloppiness eventually led to the game opening up a bit as Palace saw a chance to kill the game with a second (which they almost did a coupe of times).  Fair play to Unai for the subs, and to the players for not giving up.  Duran's Benteke-style thunderbastard was worth the wait.   

It's odd because it LOOKS like a pen, and if it went against us I'd say fair enough. Surprised at MOTD to say we got away with one. It's a pen. It was called correctly in-game, and the ref couldn't see any error even though he was being told to check again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allani said:

PS - One other thing that made me chuckle was the Palace assistant moaning about how long it took to make the VAR decision and implying that it was the wrong decision if it took that long to confirm.  I think he forgot that the ref awarded the penalty on the field and the VAR check was to overturn the penalty, not to award it.  So if there was a 30 or 60 second limit to make a decision otherwise it stays with the onfield decision - then it would have stayed* as a penalty.

* The caveat here being that if there was a time limit then the ref might not have had time to review the VAR footage and so been pressed into accepting whatever decision the VAR officials made.  Obviously the way to get around that is to do what they do in rugby and have all the VAR footage relayed onto the big screens so that the refereee can watch and review with the VAR officials without having to run over to a monitor on the halfway line.  I really don't understand why football has decided not to do that.  I think they were worried that it might rile fans if they disagreed with the decision but surely leaving fans ignorant of the reasoning does that anyway.

Totally agree with the second para. VAR is a real case study in how not to implement a review system in sport. The footballing authorities have managed to alienate players, fans and managers in equal measure, in contrast to the review methods that have been introduced in Rugby Union and `Cricket, which have actually enhanced the game and been accepted as valuable support for referees/umpires.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Why is the Holte so quiet at times . well I think. I know, its our new style of football (OMG did I just say that out loud)

Am I wrong to still want boot and rush football at times. It gets the crowd going

For 88 minutes. I was pleading with us to actually take on an opposing player and try to go around them. I am still having to get used to all this possession,  playing it out from the back and if the move breaks down we knock it back and start again. I shouldn't complain because the proof is in the pudding and wins on the table and that's all I have ever wanted

BUT I was at VP yesterday and thought how quiet the crowd were for so long while we passed it back and forward side to side. The crowd are quiet because "nothing is happening". Then Duran scores a brilliant goal and the we all go mad. Then we start charging down the wings and the crowd gets louder, ball over the top to run onto and we go crazy, jumping , shouting and cheering.

So please don't get on my back, I LOVE winning, and at the end of another win the crowd goes wild. During the game when "nothing" is happening its quiet

One thing to keep in mind is that we will be playing 55-60 matches this year over the course of 9 months with internationals for some of our players on top of that. Crossing across Europe, playing 3 games a week. Extra time and penalties as well. 

Unai has immense European experience and must plan for the whole campaign and not just game to game. So to that end, this controlling but sometimes boring style has the ability to conserve our legs instead of chasing shadows and having up and down games with lots of transition. 

Case in point, in the 100th minute, Diaby still has the burst to run the length of the pitch to set up our 3rd while Palace were noticeably fatigued. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Rodders said:

never worried about that at all 🫣

Absolutely delighted obviously.

But still very concerned about Ollie. Hope he can get some goals in midweek

He seems to be full of Melancholy....no Fire, like JD

21 hours ago, Spoony said:

We really need to stop squandering chances and not actually taking advantage of controlling a game. It’s lucky it didn’t cost us. Seriously need to upgrade on Watkins I think. 

We need to stop conceding silly goals too....we have the same as Luton, who are bottom.

We can't keep expecting the front men to bail us out.