January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

Just now, TomC said:

I can't see us selling Cash. Whether you like him or not, part of our problem right now is that we don't have a second RB as cover and have to shift Konsa over when we leave Cash out. No matter who we sign, we still need Cash as cover.

I disagree. With Fed signed and joining in summer. If we signed Frimpong or a similar top level attacking RB we would have 4 players for RB.

Cash, Frimpong, Fred, Konsa.

Cash would be sold there

• Like 2

So the best we can get is Morgan Rogers who is compared to Archer and Bidace in terms of potential by boro fans im sure we could go south america or somewhere in Europe and find someone in a higher bracket surely… two bids rejected is a sign 

• Haha 1

Just now, RicRic said:

So the best we can get is Morgan Rogers who is compared to Archer and Bidace in terms of potential by boro fans im sure we could go south america or somewhere in Europe and find someone in a higher bracket surely… two bids rejected is a sign 

Nah, Moreno, Torres, Tielemans, Diaby to me thats 4 quality signings so I've complete faith in our recruitment under Emery.

Not to mention the rest of the recruitment department who assembled a squad as competitive as we've got right now. Not paying the money for Bissouma that January and getting Kamara in summer in free. These types of strong decisions. 

• Like 3

Not getting in quality cover for kamara and cash is what i am afraid of.

I really hope it does not come and bite us in the arse when the business end of the season hots up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think we do want a cheap experienced back up to Ollie though tbh. I think we want someone like Duran, who’s slightly ahead of him perhaps in development. The main thing they want is someone that’s obviously not a total a*** which Duran clearly is behind the scenes. 

Trouble is if we sign one of them then that basically means Duran is pretty much gone. If he's getting frustrated being a clear second choice behind Ollie he's not going to accept being demoted down to number three next season.

We'll see what happens, to me it makes sense to find him a decent mid table european team where he'll be the main man in final third and see what he does. Ideally we'd get an experienced back up on loan but guessing FFP is making that difficult.

1 minute ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I really hope it does not come and bite us in the arse when the business end of the season hots up.

It will just mean Konsa at RB and Donk starting games here and there.

Yes not ideal and it does get exposed away from home but target for rest of season needs to be just to continue winning as many games at home as we can.

• Shocked 1

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Nah, Moreno, Torres, Tielemans, Diaby to me thats 4 quality signings so I've complete faith in our recruitment under Emery.

Not to mention the rest of the recruitment department who assembled a squad as competitive as we've got right now. Not paying the money for Bissouma that January and getting Kamara in summer in free. These types of strong decisions. 

I agree  they are quality signings and theres always that element of risk it doesn’t work as well and that goes for every club, zaniolo/lenglet an example without being too harsh on them but we are allowed to assess players as fans too. 

Edited by RicRic

I hope we don’t get rid of Duran, I just don’t think there are many better alternative options for the number 2 striker role, limited to a well past it “experienced” player like Ings, someone proven to be not quite good enough in the PL like Ihaenacho, or an unproven player from a lesser league like Samatta was. Sticking with a high potential up and coming youngster like Duran doesn’t seem any worse than any of those options. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

This basically. Reason why I wanted Phillips to push Kamara so he doesn’t feel his place in the team is secure and indeed likewise with Cash.

Villa are also far stronger through the middle with Konsa at CB!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I agree  they are quality signings and theres always that element of risk it doesn’t work as well and that goes for every club, zaniolo/lenglet an example without being too harsh on them but we are allowed to assess players as fans too. 

They are on Loan though. Lenglet in particular was a very astute emergency loan signing in face of losing Mings so cruelly. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I disagree. With Fed signed and joining in summer. If we signed Frimpong or a similar top level attacking RB we would have 4 players for RB.

Cash would be sold there

So essentially, you're saying we should sign two RBs.

12 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

I hope we don’t get rid of Duran, I just don’t think there are many better alternative options for the number 2 striker role, limited to a well past it “experienced” player like Ings, someone proven to be not quite good enough in the PL like Ihaenacho, or an unproven player from a lesser league like Samatta was. Sticking with a high potential up and coming youngster like Duran doesn’t seem any worse than any of those options. 

Seems a lot of people around him telling him he needs to be playing more often and getting in his ear.  He may be seeking to leave for all we know and that’s why links are coming out because his agent is floating him about. Just a thought!

52 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Cash would be sold there

Are we signing another RB? While The new kid doesn’t come until the summer I would assume that it for buying for that position for now.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Cash would be sold there

Huh? 

Who TF is Fred or Fed?

😵‍💫

I’m lost

we now have 

Cash, Kesler (hopefully Konsa back to CB)

next season Nedeljkovic

At least one of Kesler and Nedeljkovic will be sent on loan or Kesler may even be sold (needs to make an impression before the season ends if he’s sticking around).

Cash might be available, we may sign a “senior RB”… or he fights it out with one of the youngsters for that RB spot.

Who is Fred? 😂
Guilbert?! He’s long gone! 😆

Edited by Jas10

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

West Ham is strange aswell as they hit a nice formula around xmas with Bowen as the CF and Kudus support striker, he isn't getting in ahead of either of those when they return in February.

Perhaps they know we just want cheap, experienced backup for Ollie and they want us to take Antonio when he's fit so a sort of loan swop but come on that deal wouldn't benefit us one little bit given how poor Antonio has been this season and he's well into his 30s now.

Possible swap deal for Bowen?  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The priority for me is a defensive midfielder to cover for Kamara. After watching the capitulation at Old Trafford I'm convinced we cannot afford to start another PL game with Dendonker in the line up. His ability on the ball (or lack of it) really hampered us in the game, particularly in the second half before he was hooked. 

I guess Tielemens could fill in (he wasn't available that game) but he's not really a DM so would be out of position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

Possible swap deal for Bowen?  😉

I think we would need to add an awful lot of money to tempt them into making that swap. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

I think we would need to add an awful lot of money to tempt them into making that swap. 

It's West Spam.  If anyone can Monchi can!  (But absolutely no chance!)  It was definitely a tongue in cheek suggestion!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

West Ham is strange aswell as they hit a nice formula around xmas with Bowen as the CF and Kudus support striker, he isn't getting in ahead of either of those when they return in February.

Perhaps they know we just want cheap, experienced backup for Ollie and they want us to take Antonio when he's fit so a sort of loan swop but come on that deal wouldn't benefit us one little bit given how poor Antonio has been this season and he's well into his 30s now.

Bowen played today