January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

Uni has basically covered all angles with what he’s saying…

Think it’s being overblown by journos and much ado about nothing… clickbaity headlines really…

We’re not actively looking to sell any important player…

He also points out that it’s dangerous to sell just for the money, and how difficult it can be to replace top players…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

"This is the reason I prefer to believe first in the players we have."

It doesn't matter what people think of some players, only what Emery thinks of them

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

It doesn't matter what people think of some players, only what Emery thinks of them

I agree. It’s so refreshing to have a manager who backs his players and only makes transfer decisions based upon the long term good of our club. Transfer windows are far less stressful under Unai. You just know that he’s not going to saddle us with another Nzogbia etc.

Last January was one of my favourite windows ever. Sign young striker with huge potential. Sign progressive left back for reasonable fee who can make an instant impact but remain an important player for his entire contract. Sell a really high earner, who doesn’t suit our style of play and is in the decline. Absolutely perfect window.

Imagine being a player who is backed by Unai rather than being told we need reinforcements because the current squad aren’t good enough. He is giving them confidence but also providing no place to hide. We have our ambitions and we expect you to match them. Now get on with it! It’s all so very refreshing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Imagine being a player who is backed by Unai rather than being told we need reinforcements because the current squad aren’t good enough. He is giving them confidence but also providing no place to hide. We have our ambitions and we expect you to match them. Now get on with it! It’s all so very refreshing

It's quite funny some hack pundits month ago or so said Villa will struggle to get top 4 because they have no depth then recently other pundits saying Villa depth is incredible. They have Diaby and Zaniolo on the bench to bring on and they've got Kamara back and Torres and Tielemans due back from injury. We keep going under the radar and I'm fine with that

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I just read something along the lines of: we’d have to consider or look at offers if they come in for players… 

Same goes for most clubs I would think…

So, he didn’t say we have to sell any of our best players or are struggling financially…afaik (I’ll watch the vid/presser in full at some point)… but possibly review offers that come in… he may have even been referring to less important players 🤷‍♂️

Just that he knows we have to follow the rules and adhere to FFP. Many will make more of that than they should really… most clubs seems to be in the same boat…

-

The aim must be CL, if we can manage that it’s going to give boost us significantly and make it even more likely that our better players will stick around.

I’m not concerned… I can only repeat that we are in the safest possible hands with Unai as our manager… so lucky.

-

Oh, here we are:

Which means. moving on the players who cost us money and are not part of his plans. Then using that new headroom to get in players who will improve the squad and players he can rely on. 

I'm sure if we qualify for CL we will be able to land a really good player on a free again like we've done the last two windows. I'm really interested in how we might bring in. 

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's quite funny some hack pundits month ago or so said Villa will struggle to get top 4 because they have no depth then recently other pundits saying Villa depth is incredible. They have Diaby and Zaniolo on the bench to bring on and they've got Kamara back and Torres and Tielemans due back from injury. We keep going under the radar and I'm fine with that

That is nice and everything but right back and DM are needed.

without it there will be a downturn in form in the second half of the season, I’m sure of it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

That is nice and everything but right back and DM are needed.

without it there will be a downturn in form in the second half of the season, I’m sure of it

I'm sure everyone agrees that those two positions need upgrading but if we can't do it because of FFP, which certainly seems to be the reason, there is no point in getting frustrated by it

12 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Did he say this or based on VT posts?

Jas has kindly already posted some of the sources. As I understand it, there are two separate press conferences, one for the written press and one for TV/Radio. UE might possibly have said slightly different things in each case, hopefully things will not be as bad as we fear, come the next window.  🤞

28 minutes ago, picicata said:

I'm sure everyone agrees that those two positions need upgrading but if we can't do it because of FFP, which certainly seems to be the reason, there is no point in getting frustrated by it

I don't think this is solely down to " FFP ". Listened to the Claret and Blue podcast with John Townley and he noted this.

For now we want to get dead weight off the books and be sensible. Imagine how much room getting 3 - 5 players off the books NOW and in beginning of summer would give us, to bring in 2 - 3 top notch players.

Especially if we manage to slog it out for Champions League.

He alluded to both the type of squad Unai likes to work with, plus PL squad rules etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ndidi a player who Emery could rejuvenate? Sell Donk, bring Ndidi in on a free in summer or even this window if Donk had a buyer. 

My view is yes, Emery would get best out of him and Ndidi has lots of experience in PL and Europe, plus international football with Nigeria.

• Like 1

Regardless of signings, I’m looking forward to the following (which can have a similar or superior impact):

Buendia’s return - yes, will be “like a new signing” 😁

Improved form/sharpness from:

Moreno - outstanding last season, recovering from injury lay off

Ramsey - as above. Both key players.

Diaby - big talent and potential, will get better and better and a real asset when in form…

Zaniolo - as above, has a lot more to offer and is possibly being underestimated. Would like him more central, not on the wing or out of position. Goal threat.

More from Tielemans and how he can help our attack with his creativity 

More from Luiz, creativity and assists, better with Kamara alongside him.

More Super John McGinn

More goals from Ollie

More magnificence from Pau Torres

The continued improvement of Konsa and Bailey…

The assurance, stability and inspiration big Emi gives us…

Can Cash improve? With competition or further coaching and recovery from knock/niggle (as he mentioned after Boro game)

There is more to come from this squad and King Unai…

and if Ty can return this season too… that’s gonna be quite emotional and uplifting…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Ndidi a player who Emery could rejuvenate? Sell Donk, bring Ndidi in on a free in summer or even this window if Donk had a buyer. 

My view is yes, Emery would get best out of him and Ndidi has lots of experience in PL and Europe, plus international football with Nigeria.

If we have no dosh then yea

2 hours ago, picicata said:

I will be frustrated by the wasted chance, I don’t think we are at the maximum, the loan market exists too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Interesting… will he be involved with the first team or sent somewhere else? RB competition for Cash?

How has he gotten on? Is he good enough?

Going to Stoke I heard

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Going to Stoke I heard

Oh ok, thanks. Hasn’t met expectations has he? Not fulfilled the potential…

Would love a top class RB to arrive this window but… really don’t know how realistic it is…

54 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Oh ok, thanks. Hasn’t met expectations has he? Not fulfilled the potential…

Would love a top class RB to arrive this window but… really don’t know how realistic it is…

Players being moved on makes it increasingly likely new players coming in!

Looks like Chambers may be on his way too?

Edited by striker

I know I’ve been positive about the team but… after the last few games… I just can’t help but feel a good signing or two would really boost us…

more injury setbacks (Pau and JJ) and the bench was its lightest for a while today… would be nice to change things up in central midfield too…

squad looks n feels a bit depleted and drained… are we paying the price for destroying Man City and beating Arsenal?

I suppose what we could really do with is a mini-break of sorts to get the players revitalised… McGinn and Luiz don’t look like their former (superb) selves, at/for the moment, for instance… need a refresh…

Oliie not getting a heap of service either… toiling away…

Good to see Tielemans back…

Edited by Jas10