January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

54 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

How many times have you watche Radu Dragusin play?

is it for a job in the ticket office?😄

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

How many times have you watche Radu Dragusin play?

Not as many as I have watched Torres and Konsa (and to a lesser degree Carlos) and knowing how in tune with each other our back 4 have become in terms of playing the high line and catching the opposition offside more than twice as many teams as pretty much anyone else in the league.  I think disrupting that back line (with the probable exception of RB) would be pretty risky.  We've already seen that it took time for a much more experienced player in Pau Torres to adjust to the PL and the way we play.  I think Torres and Konsa is as good a central defensive unit as there is in the PL (in terms of the way that Emery wants us to play).  So I certainly wouldn't be looking to swap either of them at the moment.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

I've said it before and i'll say it again, I'd much rather we brought in the right players than literally any players to fill the gaps. Sometimes going out and buying five players in January can be fun for us as fans, but it can also de-stablise a squad. Not always, but it can.

I feel it's a case of seeing if any business can be done with the targets we have (in terms of price/availability/contract status in the summer) and, if not, we attack the loan market in the final week as plug-ins for the next six months. Again, with the loans, Unai will want a certain level of proven quality - perhaps those not in the plans at their parent club (perhaps because a new manager came in and they don't fit the tactical style), but who are also not sellable because of their contract status.

Part think Dybala would be a class signing.

Part think Ollie's uptick in form really coincided with Ings leaving and him becoming *The Guy* again..and I'd be nervous of rocking the boat.

Dybala would be an upgrade on Duran as it stands too. I think Duran could be better fit for the Premier League in a couple of years though, I wouldn't want us to sell him. Loan Duran and buy Dybala would be great if Ollie can keep him form up

Edited by HalfTimePost

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Part think Dybala would be a class signing.

Part think Ollie's uptick in form really coincided with Ings leaving and him becoming *The Guy* again..and I'd be nervous of rocking the boat.

Dybala would be an upgrade on Duran as it stands too. I think Duran could be better fit for the Premier League in a couple of years though, I wouldn't want us to sell him. 

Dybala is not a striker, he would be callenging for the place next to watkins and on the wings, rather that directly with Watkins

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Think a successful Jan window would be shifting Traore and Chambers

Agreed - plus (Chambers)? Sorry meant Dendoncker

Edited by PerryBarrPet

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Yes, same here. There's a very short FFP downside for the season where we don't sell any tickets in the North stand, followed by decades of sustained increase.

But,  we're spending what we can and achieving what we are with what we've got. I don't think it's a disaster if we sign noone, and arguably anyone we could get wouldn't save us in the event of an injury to one of our key players anyway. 

Whoever we sign as backup GK won't be close to Emi, whoever we sign as backup striker won't be close to Watkins.

The only position we could realistically  improve on,  assuming we even have 20m to spare, would be RB, and the only position we could get cover in for that would be DM. Neither of those signings are going to make or break our season in the event of injury to the first choice.  At right back we just move Konsa there. At DM this new signing won't be much better than Donk, and will still be a fair bit worse than Luiz and Kamara. 

Realistically, we're into the realms of big money signings to get improve us. Or youth prospects that will be a gamble now but one for the future.

I agree with this, we need to target the best in class right now in my opinion even if it means fighting off big clubs to sign such players. And we sort of have been doing that over the past couple of summer windows.

But if we are constrained by our spending because of limited turnover we are going to have a problem because we won't be able to spend on such players.

I also feel it doesn't always have to be big money signings: Kamara and Tielemans were free for example and I definitely would have taken Werner on loan even if he might not necessarily start for us he's a very good sub to bring on. 

1 hour ago, allani said:

Agree 100%.  Emery and Monchi won't be signing £60m players in the hope that they will improve us.  They will be finding players who they are confident will improve us and they might be valued at £6m, £26m or £60m - the "price" will be pretty much irrelevant.  Meanwhile clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd will feel that they have to spend £80m on a player in order to justify signing them and will then try and figure out how they might be able to use that player.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Spot on.

spending money, is just an assumption, that further improvement is guaranteed......its not.

When you are as close as we are to success.....it takes tweaks and nuances, not panicky spending.

Its very easy to upset a very smooth functioning outfit.

I say.....Trust the process.

So pleasing that we spent so little on our midfield and now it’s one of the best in the league 😁

Yes, Emery is magnificent!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allani said:

1 - Just spending money isn't working out too well for Chelsea or Man Utd.

2 - I agree with the first part of the middle comment - if not entirely the second part.  I don't think that higher revenues alone would have kept Leicester where they were.  The club lost direction after the tragic death of their owner and that had a bigger part to play.

3 - Wouldn't pushing forward on the stadium expansion have an immediate negative hit on our revenue levels?  Maybe full capacity stadiums in the next 2 seasons is more important for allowing us to strengthen with players in the next 4 windows to the point that windows 5, 6 and 7 are less critical and a better time for us to have less capacity to make signings?  I mean we've got a pretty decent core now at an age where they should have 3 or 4 seasons still at their peak.  If we can get in a couple of extra Kamara level players in other positions then maybe we've got a better chance of getting our revenue levels higher, quicker than just through increased gate figures?  I'm not saying that we don't need to expand the stadium / capacity but maybe we are better off having 42,000 attendances cheering us on in the league and Europe to help us get a big name sponsor in - who then sees the benefit in investing further to help us with the expansion work and making sure that VP is "cutting edge" for the 2028 international matches.

I think it's short term pain for long term gain but yes we don't want our revenue to be hit as we are already struggling to spend by the looks of things. We need more than just stadium expansion to improve our revenue, but that is one way to get there. It might be a case of building an entirely new stadium so revenues aren't affected initially, but I know that wouldn't be too popular amongst the fanbase.

Chelsea's revenue is as high as the other Big Six teams despite not having as big a stadium as any of them, what comes with sustained success I guess, but a bigger stadium definitely helps. At least we are moving from Castore to Adidas which is a positive. 

• Like 1

According to Corriere della Sera: Seems a bit click baitey, dropping us, Chelsea and Newcastle names.

07:30 - Premier League wants Dybala

(Monica Colombo) Fibrillation around Dybala: the €13 million clause valid for abroad will expire on January 15. That's why in the last few hours, in addition to Saudi Arabia which, however, is not part of La Joya's plans, Chelsea, Aston Villa and Newcastle have come forward to ask Dybala's agents for information.

Fabio Cannavaro: "Me in Naples? It's about time." Fiorentina like Kean | Calciomercato, the news of 10 January- Corriere.it

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If I reshape your question. Does he improve the 22 then yes. 

Would he offer more from the bench than Zaniolo probably yes. But I don’t its a huge improvement. 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

According to Corriere della Sera: Seems a bit click baitey, dropping us, Chelsea and Newcastle names.

07:30 - Premier League wants Dybala

(Monica Colombo) Fibrillation around Dybala: the €13 million clause valid for abroad will expire on January 15. That's why in the last few hours, in addition to Saudi Arabia which, however, is not part of La Joya's plans, Chelsea, Aston Villa and Newcastle have come forward to ask Dybala's agents for information.

Fabio Cannavaro: "Me in Naples? It's about time." Fiorentina like Kean | Calciomercato, the news of 10 January- Corriere.it

sounds like we should be asking Dybala's doctor for information.

• Like 1