January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

43 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think the story is true but I don’t see why we wouldn’t spend <£40m on another versatile striker.  If Duran went for £20m+,  then I think we’d move to the next level up in striker and not a sidewards move for somebody as raw as Duran.

I’m not the kind of person who says x won’t move here to sit on the bench but genuinely this player doesn’t have to move to us to compete with Ollie, he can move to a club as big or bigger and be automatic first choice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Can we sign him for his name alone? Utterly love it. 

No one will ever top Vennegoor of Hesselink.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I don't think we'd get £20m for Duran, we signed him for £13m and he hasn't really done anything in the PL since.

I also don't think we have much leeway with FFP to spend £30-40m net this January. 

Who knows! I think we probably do have enough leeway to spend that level money, on 5 year deal that would be 6-8m amortisation per year and only part of that would hit this year’s financial accounts.  It may mean we have to sell more in the summer but selling Azaz for a couple of million would cover the part year amortisation cost for the rest of this financial year because we can take that as pure profit this financial year.  Depends what his wages would be.

6 minutes ago, Daulmakan said:

In Argentina, we had one called "Demelchori". Literally, "give me the chorizo".

Ah… my favourite comedy… reminded me of this scene:

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, John said:

If he goes anywhere it will be to Newcastle, they would find some way to get near to the salary demands that he would make, with a little help with their Saudi investors. Him and Phillips should offer them the pedestrian midfield they seem to be looking for (perhaps Southgate is giving Howe some helpful tips;)). I would have perhaps taken Henderson 3 or 4 years ago, but as has been said, he's way past his best now and wouldn't be worth the high wages he would anticipate getting. 

He's a Makem. I'm sure he could stretch his principles one last time though.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, John said:

If he goes anywhere it will be to Newcastle, they would find some way to get near to the salary demands that he would make, with a little help with their Saudi investors. Him and Phillips should offer them the pedestrian midfield they seem to be looking for (perhaps Southgate is giving Howe some helpful tips;)). I would have perhaps taken Henderson 3 or 4 years ago, but as has been said, he's way past his best now and wouldn't be worth the high wages he would anticipate getting. 

A Philips and Henderson midfield?

spacer.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

He's a Makem. I'm sure he could stretch his principles one last time though.

After Brucie, whats it with people from the North East

35 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I’m not the kind of person who says x won’t move here to sit on the bench but genuinely this player doesn’t have to move to us to compete with Ollie, he can move to a club as big or bigger and be automatic first choice.

Yeah don’t dispute that but there could be many reasons why he’d choose us, just as there are reasons why he wouldn’t, one you rightly point out.  Many players move where competition is harder…I can name loads like Caicedo moved to Chelsea who just brought Enzo, Rays/Ramsdale, even Tielemans when we have Kamara, Dougie, McGinn and Ramsey playing so well.

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Lots of buzz over Ligue 2 phenom Inigo Montoya from FC Florin. Left footed striker. Could be worth a punt?

You killed my father, prepare to die.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richp999 said:

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned, but how about Jordan Henderson loan/purchase ? Quality cover for DM, wants out of Saudi…

I mentioned it a and got shot down.  I think the FIFA generation look at anyone over 27 who's not Linford Christie (Google it) as totally useless.

I think he could do a job as cover at CM and would be positive for the dressing room.  I'd only be behind it if we could do it on the cheap though

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Does he say prepare to die when he takes a shot

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Lots of buzz over Ligue 2 phenom Inigo Montoya from FC Florin. Left footed striker. Could be worth a punt?

No way I’ve actually googled him expecting for stats to fly up and it bloody said fictional character🤦🏽‍♂️ honestly you lot 🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Adman said:

I mentioned it a and got shot down.  I think the FIFA generation look at anyone over 27 who's not Linford Christie (Google it) as totally useless.

I think he could do a job as cover at CM and would be positive for the dressing room.  I'd only be behind it if we could do it on the cheap though

I am not the FIFA generation and I confirm I don't look at anyone over 27 who is not Linford Christie as totally useless.

But I can confirm Henderson is totally useless and an utter asshat to boot. I'd rather have Glenn Whelan back at current age.

• Like 2