January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It’s not a bad suggestion, especially if we could shift Dendoncker for a decent fee and get a decent deal for someone like Hjojberg (unlikely, and you touched on Levy yourself there)… there’s a big IF there… but I don’t disagree with your general point - I agree that we are lacking in defensive options…

But again, why would we spend heavily on a backup or reserve for Kamara… an inferior player. Spend the money on pure competition or better or look for low cost, high value deals if we’re looking for decent cover… or spend on a young player with high potential…

The examples you have given are the opposite of my view or explanation… as I said… teams with abundant wealth and no real fear of FFP can afford to splash out on PL players and prey on the inferior or less successful teams… it’s how they keep other teams trampled or below them too. We can’t do that.

And I never spoke of “Aldi prices”…  good players will still cost money but their wages may be a bit more modest than established PL players - Pau and Diaby for example. I’m sure that we will continue looking in that sort of market… the sort that can become just as good as the top players for rival teams… stars of our own…

Arsenal took City’s cast offs… and look at the players City brought in and replaced them with… 

Rice was brought in from an inferior team and a player that wanted out and to take a step up… as I explained.

City preyed on inferior teams with the players you have mentioned and again… they wanted to go and take the step up and the riches on offer… Philip was a useless, expensive signing for them too but they can afford to be reckless and burn money… they made a killing on player sales too and replaced them with better in many cases…

Chelsea are the biggest offenders though…

We can’t afford that level of waste… we don’t have that capacity…

Man Utd did that sort of thing for a while… but that’s because they were “on top”… 

We’re not there…

…I’m a little surprised you didn’t fully understand or take my point(s) on board but no problem… I probably failed to explain properly.

I am looking from Villa’s perspective… we’re not the same as those clubs… it’s a different scenario altogether… we’re trying to get there…

We can’t take starters from the “big clubs”… it’s the reserves that are being suggested but most of them don’t improve us enough or provide value or worth… this is what I have been focussing on and trying to explain. It’s an easy way to waste money and get burned…

We are trying to be much more intelligent and savvy and that’s why we have Unai, Monchi and all the people working for/around them…

trying to box clever…

and it’s working 😂

Jas... my openeing line was and I reiterate "I agree with all of that, and its not lost on me"...so I am confused with what you think I disagreed with you on.

I understand your point.

I also agree, with a player who is competition to Kamara, but its a fine balance of not peeing off,  already established players....its tricky to manage.

I am not suggesting we are there yet....to be able to emulate the MO of the top teams....but we have to work away towards it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paul514 said:

possibly but my argument is he is more than adequate back up

He really isnt. Again he has been dumped in RB reserves for a reason and playing Poulsen ahead of him

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Jas... my openeing line was and I reiterate "I agree with all of that, and its not lost on me"...so I am confused with what you think I disagreed with you on.

I understand your point.

I also agree, with a player who is competition to Kamara, but its a fine balance of not peeing off,  already established players....its tricky to manage.

I am not suggesting we are there yet....to be able to emulate the MO of the top teams....but we have to work away towards it.

No problem at all…  it’s just that the examples you gave, those particular players, didn’t correlate with what I was saying… from a Villa perspective, that’s all…

Anyway, we don’t really have to worry about these things do we? 😂 it’s just a bit of fun and theorising or speculating… we’re just sharing opinions…

We really can just sit back and relax, let Unai and his guys take care of everything 😂

I just wish we could get things as right off the pitch…

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Btw… Kamara was the kind of player and signing we had been crying out for to address a huge deficiency and need…

Made us massively better.. we finally got a quality DM.

Didn’t come from the PL did he?

Pau isn’t doing too bad now is he?

There is more than enough PL experience in this squad now…

Sure, and we can do it again....no problem with that.

They don't have to come from the Prem, I am not saying they do......and I agree it can be an expensive place to shop.....but the upside is, they are likely to be "oven ready".

you said it yourself....we can't afford mishits.....luckily Kamara and Torres have been hits, but Bailey took some time to convince us.......so there are fors and againsts

Pau to me was always a coup, can't believe we have got him.

There is still some doubt of other players, but I think they will come good.

anyway, as I /you say.....I trust the boys in the backroom.

Edited by TRO

We’re all talking about the players that will come in but I like the fact we’re where we are with Ramsey, Diaby and Zaniolo yet to hit the heights we know they are capable of. Add that to Buendia possibly coming back sooner than later, perhaps it’s just a couple of cherries on the top that we need to really crack on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sure, and we can do it again....no problem with that.

They don't have to come from the Prem, I am not saying they do......and I agree it can be an expensive place to shop.....but the upside is, they are likely to be "oven ready".

you said it yourself....we can't afford mishits.....luckily Kamara and Torres have been hits, but Bailey took some time to convince us.......so there are fors and againsts

Pau to me was always a coup, can't believe we have got him.

There is still some doubt of other players, but I think they will come good.

anyway, as I say.....I trust the boys in the backroom.

It’s just that people often bring up PL players as though it’s a guarantee and that it is a solution… it really isn’t, not always anyway…

We’ve seen how wrong that can go and how expensive or even ruinous that can be many times too… the most recent and vivid example is Chelsea as I highlighted earlier…

Yes, you can make mistakes by buying players from abroad (usually for a lot less) but you can make even bigger and more costly mistakes from buying from “home” too… in the past, managers have openly admitted to not even having watched these players before they were signed at times too 😂 so where was the fault, really?

Advancements and investments in scouting and academies continue to progress… there’s a good reason for that…

It’s just not as simple and clear cut as some may believe or think… just comes across as very limited thinking to me… plonk a PL player in and well be flying… na, not for me mate…

Oh well… I’ve laboured the point… as I usually do 😂

Edited by Jas10

2 minutes ago, burchy said:

We’re all talking about the players that will come in but I like the fact we’re where we are with Ramsey, Diaby and Zaniolo yet to hit the heights we know they are capable of. Add that to Buendia possibly coming back sooner than later, perhaps it’s just a couple of cherries on the top that we need to really crack on.

Yes, there is more to come from these players. We have numbers and an excellent base to build on… there isn’t much desperation to sign anyone unless they actually improve us - which is almost exactly what Unai has said most recently.

We shall see…

I don’t feel that anyone from outside of the club has much insight into our intentions and goings on tbh… we don’t need “a lot” right now…

but the right move or two could really help and boost us…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We shall see…

I don’t feel that anyone from outside of the club has much insight into our intentions and goings on tbh… we don’t need “a lot” right now…

but the right move or two could really help and boost us…

Unai said we would bring in people we think will improve the team which doesn’t rule out anything. It’s better that the media don’t speculate. So I'm not sure what message Ornstein has seen. 

12 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Unai said we would bring in people we think will improve the team which doesn’t rule out anything. It’s better that the media don’t speculate. So I'm not sure what message Ornstein has seen. 

Yeah, I agree. We may or may not sign players… he’s on it. No one for the sake of it.

If a good deal is there to be made, we’ll do it… if not, no worries we move on…

Even if we don’t sign anyone, we have players to improve and to get fit…

but I’m certainly not going to rule anything out… Unai himself hasn’t…

1 hour ago, burchy said:

No guarantees that they will, but if they do and Buendia returns at a decent level as well then yeah, we're only a few players away from being a really good squad that wouldn't be overachieving by reaching the CL regularly...

39 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah, I agree. We may or may not sign players… he’s on it. No one for the sake of it.

If a good deal is there to be made, we’ll do it… if not, no worries we move on…

Even if we don’t sign anyone, we have players to improve and to get fit…

but I’m certainly not going to rule anything out… Unai himself hasn’t…

Most likely just gamesmanship from the team. Use a source to spread a message that we're doing no business - it helps with the negotiation: "sir, we aren't desperate, but if you NEED the cash right now we'll happily take your player at a low price"

• Like 1

Amine Gouiri

I really think this guy would be perfect for us, knows loads of our squad from his French national team time. He’s prolific as a CF and more than decent at LW too. 

His numbers aren’t as good this year but he’s not been playing as much so Emery could work his magic.

IMG_2161.jpeg.db9f27a9d985e5acb75b4e07dfe75e93.jpeg

• Like 1

We have enough rotation options behind Watkins, enough rotation in the midfield, and enough rotation at centre and left back.

It's the defensive midfield, right back, striker, and goalkeeper positions we're short in rotation options.

I don’t see us needing anything, but having another option in any of those 4 positions helps us avoid the burnout we'll face (from Watkins, Luiz and Kamara), or the injury risks we'll face (from Martinez). Cash/Konsa provided rotation but as a position it's our weakest spot.

If options arise in any of those positions I expect we'd make a move.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

enough rotation in the midfield,

I‘’m not so sure on this as Tielemans and McGinn are both better forward of the pivot.

When we’re without either Luiz and Kamara  we struggle. Would be nice to have another CM playmaker and DM in the squad. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, burchy said:

I‘’m not so sure on this as Tielemans and McGinn are both better forward of the pivot.

When we’re without either Luiz and Kamara  we struggle. Would be nice to have another CM playmaker and DM in the squad. 

A quality, alternative DM (much better and suitable than Dendoncker) is what we need most in midfield…

Tielemans may start looking better at CM when required, since his form and confidence has improved after playing in an attacking role… he might be less loose in possession going forwards… his injury came at an unfortunate time… was giving us that creativity and incisive passing.

I think what we need most of all is a top class RB though…

• Like 1

Obviously only 7 days into the window etc etc. But… we cancel all stadium development plans and we sit 2nd in the league and look as though we need reinforcements, but, many are suggesting we aren’t going to bother… presumably because of finances. Can’t help but think something is off… 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Obviously only 7 days into the window etc etc. But… we cancel all stadium development plans and we sit 2nd in the league and look as though we need reinforcements, but, many are suggesting we aren’t going to bother… presumably because of finances. Can’t help but think something is off… 

Name one thing that this board have done that indicates they don't have the money to finance things ?

The North Stand needs redeveloping, but they get one chance to get it right, and maybe they think securing champions league football changes the needs ? 

As far as i can see there is absolutely no risk from FFP, and everybody seems to be basing this on a false declaration of losses for the 20-21 season, which was cleared up somewhere a couple of days ago in this thread.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He really isnt. Again he has been dumped in RB reserves for a reason and playing Poulsen ahead of him

Ok, well I disagree 🙅‍♂️