January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:
1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Makes me wonder if we’ve either lost our ambition We're 2nd in the league and the window is less than 100 hours old. 

not players like Anderson who’s already been poor in the league and going to be receiving his pension soon He's 30, not 60. Still has 3 to 4 years left at the very top. 

Hopefully people will regain their sanity soon I'm sat here hoping that you'll regain your sanity soon as well. 

Haha, I’m insane for questioning bringing in a player who couldn’t even cut it at West Ham? 

Ok mate.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Anderson has been playing better than Chiesa in recent seasons

Chiesa has been returning from serious injury, recovering form and fitness.

Also played under a manager who had been widely criticised and derided by the club’s own fans… for playing boring, negative football.

I’ve never seen Anderson dominate an international tournament, lead his side to victory and absolutely shine and standout in important games.

Chiesa is world class and would be the best forward/winger we’ve had at the club in an age… still fairly young too.

Maybe I’m biased, but he’s one of my favourite players and I love his attitude/personality… he has high workrate and determination coupled with exceptional talent. Exceptional dribbler and a genuine goal threat and game winner & changer…

I love him.

Anyway… his value and worth far exceeds Anderson’s and he’d be a difficult signing to make but a genuine demonstration of our ambition if we could somehow manage it and convince a player like that to join us.

-

Anderson is meh and not as good as the players we have… all imo of course.

Maybe you can get away with older/ageing players in defence and even midfield in PL, but it’s even more difficult to get them performing in forward areas unless they have been world class for a while, there are rare exceptions.

Many players fail to meet the standards of this league now. Serie A has, sadly, fallen so far behind.

He underwhelmed the last time he was here, can’t see him doing much better this time around and just seems like a waste of wages… never seemed to have the character or fight required either… a player who can go missing…

I just don’t believe it’s a genuine link most of all, would be very surprised.

Of course… I’ll soon change my tune if it is genuine and Unai actually wants him 😂 and we all know he can get more out of players than most…

Just the way I view it, I’m no expert. But I feel we are much more ambitious and capable than the recent names being thrown around here…

Look where we are and how well we are doing… why would we go for mediocre players, once again - we don’t need numbers. Why are we making stupid suggestions like Antonio and Delle Alli when we are flying?

We’ve been trimming the fat (why would we add to it?) and raising the quality and standard… I’m sure well continue in that vein.

Some fans need to start aligning their sights and ambitions with the people at the club imo…

Enhancements and potential when and where possible… or just hold fire.

Edited by Jas10

50 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Look for every example of one thing there's an example of the opposite, but people talking about Anderson at West Ham as if that's his entire career and therefore he's not that good, sound like people who still can't help themselves with mentioning Emery's time at Arsenal as if he'd never held another role before or since. 

The guy has played most minutes of every season since 14/15 and is consistently getting great numbers in the league. We are going to have to box clever to continue rising and this guy on a free looks good business. 

Do we need him? Is he better than what we have?

If not, there’s no point. We have enough players at the club…

It’s no longer a great league either and many can’t manage the step up… 

I’m sure many people would prefer to bring back a talented youngster like Philogene Bidace than sign an ageing, average player on a free (probably on big wages) when we don’t need him…

Personally, I hope and believe we’re much more ambitious and capable than that and the only signings we make from now on are genuine competition, upgrades and youngsters with huge potential.

Again, we have been trimming the fat off this squad and upping the quality and standards…

Dunno why we would suddenly change that strategy now that we are flying and so high up the league…

It’s all just opinions…

bit if Unai wants him (not so sure), then Unai gets him 😂

• Like 1

Emery had a midfield of Capoue & Coquelin who were very effective for him so trust his judgement if he feels that Anderson can add the team and squad. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Anderson would be class in a Emery side. 

He was big hyped flop in PL 4-5 years ago. How would he be better now? Worse than Coutinho vibes

• Like 1

I'm pretty chilled. Can't think of any Emery signings that haven't worked out yet barring Zaniolo (I'm being patient though, and it's a loan) and possibly Diaby (again, I'm sure he will come good and has contributed a lot already) 

We're 2nd, with a large part of the team our previous manager couldn't motive/inspire/ manage (his shortcomings) 

Unai has the mindset, skill set and knowledge to get the best out of his team and players. I've no doubt any player  he signs will benefit from the same Coaching and techniques he employs. 

If we are being cautious/ savvy, there will be a reasoning behind it and not due to lavk of ambition or funds (ffp for example) I'll wait and see where we are at come the end of the window and remain a believer in the project. 

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Emery had a midfield of Capoue & Coquelin who were very effective for him so trust his judgement if he feels that Anderson can add the team and squad. 

What was the structure of those 2? Anderson at West Ham was always left wing or left front 3 from memory. Just checked the 2019 game against us and was left wing in 4141

19 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We aren’t signing... veterans. Next. 

Surely a decent option in some positions?

Take DM for example. I don't see us realistically signing anyone ahead of Kamara. So we are looking for solid backup. I think a decent reliable vet, perhaps someone Emery knows well or has even worked with before, or has elite/top 4/title challenge experience, might be more likely than a young prospect who might see any path to regular first team down the line blocked by Kamara given his age.

Same perhaps goes for forward if we want a more reliable backup option for Watkins, as we already have Duran as a prospect for this role but at present he is not experienced or reliable enough for a top 4 challenge.

19 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Anderson would be class in an Emery side. 

Please elaborate… I can be convinced 😂

Regardless of the player, I’m not sure about the legitimacy of the link either. It wouldn’t be the first time we were linked to a player (and we’re not even talking about signing him now but the summer… which is even worse and more pointless to me. If we qualify for CL, we can sign much better) we had no real or genuine interest in.

We don’t know if Unai wants him, totally behind it IF he does…

Also, doesn’t align with any of the signings Unai has made so far for various reasons…

-

Little point in comparing the players Unai had at previous clubs like Villareal too where finances and resources were so limited - both Unai and Emery have commented on the “greater capacity” at Villa and their excitement toward that…

We can do more and be more ambitious… it’s why they joined us.

Again, look at the signings we have made so far… I don’t think well be “sinking below” that level… hopefully even surpassing it…

7 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I'm pretty chilled. Can't think of any Emery signings that haven't worked out yet barring Zaniolo (I'm being patient though, and it's a loan) and possibly Diaby (again, I'm sure he will come good and has contributed a lot already) 

We're 2nd, with a large part of the team our previous manager couldn't motive/inspire/ manage (his shortcomings) 

Unai has the mindset, skill set and knowledge to get the best out of his team and players. I've no doubt any player  he signs will benefit from the same Coaching and techniques he employs. 

If we are being cautious/ savvy, there will be a reasoning behind it and not due to lavk of ambition or funds (ffp for example) I'll wait and see where we are at come the end of the window and remain a believer in the project. 

Absolutely chilled… but the names being thrown around by media and so called ITKs are more often than not made up, fake or BS…

We aren’t actually after every player we are linked to or rumoured to be interested in…

Any player that Unai wants is fine by me… I’m just not convinced that this is one of them…

Yeah, I expect Zaniolo and definitely Diaby to improve…

Monchi was more of an influence in terms of bringing in Lenglet and Zaniolo (previous relationships with the players) in when we were caught short by injuries and less time to act in the market…

Nico needs to do more and prove himself if he wants a chance at staying with us for the long term… I believe he has it in him and there’s plenty of the season left to go…

Moreno was a genuine upgrade/enhancement at the time and made us a better side… huge impact… 

Pau and Diaby are and would be perceived as top class signings…

Tielemans was an intelligent move that didn’t cost us a transfer fee…

I don’t envisage bringing in any players that are “lesser than” those and we’ve already offloaded several that aren’t…

I know he’s a bit of a journeyman. But he’s scored some crucial goals and is a handful for defenders. 

That’s why we should bring in Emile Heskey to help us secure Top 4. 

Spoiler

:trollface:

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He was big hyped flop in PL 4-5 years ago. How would he be better now? Worse than Coutinho vibes

He got 9 goals in his 1st Premier League season and then Moyes wasnt a fan and froze him out

I don’t see Anderson as better or having more potential than the likes of Bailey, Diaby and Ramsey… at least. 

We also have McGinn performing well in a wide role…

Why would we need him?

There’s only any point in bringing in a player that can be and can do better than those… otherwise don’t bother…

Or a young player with massive potential who can eventually take over…