January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

11 hours ago, RicRic said:

Don’t for one second think that Emery won’t be signing at least one player in Jan given the position that we’re in, as that would be borderline insanity, he will know whats missing and the type of personnel required for that position.

We just need to sit back and enjoy the show

Well we are running up to the FFP limit. There is the more stringent squad cost rule in Europe which becomes more restrictive each year and we will have Jack's sale rolling off our income at end of next season.

The Diaby deal and the Zaniolo deal. They both have a lot of of add ons which are all easily achievable. What this does is has the initial annual amortisation cost low but pushes more cost to later.

We are getting into tricky situation and we need to move players on. Extend a couple of contracts. Grow revenue especially like qualifying for Champions League 

13 minutes ago, useless said:

For the same reason I would not be surprised to see us bring in a better backup goalkeeper in January
If Martinez gets injured our Champions League hopes in serious peril, still along way to go, so will be tough

I think that's key position above all as we beat City and Arsenal without Watkins goal or assist albeit his role in the system is crucial but a lot of that is down to work rate. Then again the back up only called upon when needed GK is ridiculous difficult to fill. Newcastle derailed by Dubravka. Arsenal favourites for title challenge yet they don't have a decent keeper from 2 according to general consensus but they equal with Liverpool for least goals conceded 15

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well we are running up to the FFP limit. There is the more stringent squad cost rule in Europe which becomes more restrictive each year and we will have Jack's sale rolling off our income at end of next season.

This was discussed by Sam Tighe on All Villa No Filler podcast today. He doesn't know for certain but thinks we have very little wiggle room on FFP. Zaniolo signing points to that. I thought that already before hearing this podcast. 

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think that's key position above all as we beat City and Arsenal without Watkins goal or assist albeit his role in the system is crucial but a lot of that is down to work rate. Then again the back up only called upon when needed GK is ridiculous difficult to fill. Newcastle derailed by Dubravka. Arsenal favourites for title challenge yet they don't have a decent keeper from 2 according to general consensus but they equal with Liverpool for least goals conceded 15

I don’t know the numbers but with Arsenal it feels like their keeper causes them to concede soft goals whereas our keeper makes match winning saves nearly every game.  Arsenal are a pretty solid unit these days.  If they had Emi or a top keeper in goal I reckon they’d win the league comfortably.

We can try and get another backup but how much better than Olsen they will be will be debatable.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t know the numbers but with Arsenal it feels like their keeper causes them to concede soft goals whereas our keeper makes match winning saves nearly every game.  Arsenal are a pretty solid unit these days.  If they had Emi or a top keeper in goal I reckon they’d win the league comfortably.

We can try and get another backup but how much better than Olsen they will be will be debatable.

It seems like Marshall has come to the fore now so that could be the solution, hopefully. But a long term injury at either end of the pitch would likely cause us big problems. So fingers and everything else crossed thst we don’t get any, anywhere on the pitch for thst matter. Then again our goalie had to go off early on in a big game once, so anything could happen!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It seems like Marshall has come to the fore now so that could be the solution, hopefully.

If Olsen had done what Marshall did vs Mostar there would've been 2 pages in his thread about what a liability he is

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

This was discussed by Sam Tighe on All Villa No Filler podcast today. He doesn't know for certain but thinks we have very little wiggle room on FFP. Zaniolo signing points to that. I thought that already before hearing this podcast. 

It's more the double impact of the stringent squad cost rule which means we can spend 90% then 80% then 70% of our income on squad cost.

Where the PL rules are we can spend £35m more than our income on squad cost. (105m loss over 3 years). So based on our most recent revenue of 178m we are able to spend 120% in terms of squad cost.

Add to that Jacks sale is 100m so basically £33m in annual income which drops off end of next season. Which is basically a double hit for us as the squad cost rule. 

So we need the plan ahead or we are in trouble. We need to grow revenue and we need to sell players. 

22 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If Olsen had done what Marshall did vs Mostar there would've been 2 pages in his thread about what a liability he is

Yeah and rightly so because he's supposed to be a trusted, experienced international goalkeeper and is handsomely remunerated for it. He's not a kid making his debut for the first team. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's more the double impact of the stringent squad cost rule which means we can spend 90% then 80% then 70% of our income on squad cost.

Where the PL rules are we can spend £35m more than our income on squad cost. (105m loss over 3 years). So based on our most recent revenue of 178m we are able to spend 120% in terms of squad cost.

Add to that Jacks sale is 100m so basically £33m in annual income which drops off end of next season. Which is basically a double hit for us as the squad cost rule. 

So we need the plan ahead or we are in trouble. We need to grow revenue and we need to sell players. 

You aren’t including the sales of Chukwuemeka, Philogene, Archer and Aaron Ramsey there sold in summer 2022 and 2023 which is another £55-60m from Academy players.

We definitely need more revenue which is why the stadium decision is a bit odd, we definitely need to do something about that because with 30,000 people on the waiting list that’s a lot of potential revenue not being obtained. Maybe building a new stadium is the way to go, but that wouldn’t go down well with a lot of fans and would take a while. But for now we can at least bolster our corporate sponsorship, the Adidas deal Newcastle have made will help them massively, we need similar because currently our shirt sponsors aren’t pulling in enough.

If we win on Friday and Liverpool-Arsenal draw we are top at Christmas, the only team to finish outside the top 4 who were top at Christmas since the Premier League started was, yes, us in 98-99. Cannot do that again and absolutely must be making top 4 this season.

I still feel we can make at least one quality signing in January, I believe us selling those Academy players in the summer was so we were able to do that. We’ve made big signings in every January window since promotion pretty much and given the position we’re in I’d be stunned if we didn’t bring at least one first 11 player in. If you don’t agree then fair enough, we’ll see who’s right.

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

I still feel we can make at least one quality signing in January, I believe us selling those Academy players in the summer was so we were able to do that. We’ve made big signings in every January window since promotion pretty much and given the position we’re in I’d be stunned if we didn’t bring at least one first 11 player in. If you don’t agree then fair enough, we’ll see who’s right.

Yeah I agree, one first team player to push for a place and potentially one other to strengthen the match day squad.

This will be achievable also if Villa can offload one or two players surplus to requirements in January which I think should be looked at.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Zaniolo has contributed significantly in last two games. I was particularly impressed with his coolness re coming on into that storm at Brentford. He was the senior pro that took much needed sting out at very important points or it could have ended even worse than the Kamara red card.

Hopefully this is the start of an upward trajectory as he needs to show much more but at least some positive signs are emerging. 

Nah don’t be fooled yes better performances but overall not great, gave him more time than I expected but many fans are easy on him been largely wasteful and awol in games, but hey what do i know if it was down to me bailey and mcginn would have been sold in last jans window 😂 now i cant stop singing them praise, but with zaniolo i just dont think he has the athleticism for this league

21 hours ago, paul514 said:

If we are going to be serious here then if he is the right kind of striker as in similar to Ollie, then his goal record previously is very good.

i think that leaves the question of if he has been played incorrectly or it is mental vs has he had some sort of physical change in his body since he was doing so well. 
mid it’s the latter stay clear

The manner in which some of our players have improved, is startling.

I have a hunch, we could bring in someone, who has struggled elsewhere, but the Villa camp could transform them, dramatically.

To me, there is a clear picture of players improving beyond belief, where others at clubs with primma donna's and synthetic expectation, have struggled.

We saw this in the late 70's  early 80's with Peter Withe, Allan Evans, Des Bremner, Tony Morley, Jimmy Rimmer, Dennis Mortimer.....all these players stepped up several levels from their previous employers.....I see something similar happening again.

I feel, this January, we could capitalise, from some good potential....and not spend a fortune.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, nick76 said:

All feel like players we would buy when we are fighting to get in the top 10 and not now where we are trying to take advantage of being in the CL places.  Think we need to think of better quality imo.

I agree with your stance on better quality, but it has to come with a mentality, that fits in with our Mantra.

Good cuts of meat, do not guarantee a good meal, if the cook is crap......But a good Chef can make a decent meal out of similar cuts.

as Wenger once said, "Teams score goals", and I agree with him.

Right now, we are playing in a manner, that would give many decent strikers, a platform to thrive....and some could shock people, playing in the right environment. We have already seen "written off" players, make us think again.

I think some players, who have struggled elsewhere, could thrive with us.......I will leave that to UE, to decide.

I don't see us splashing, mental money, on targets, (that are better odds, but still no guarantee's), make that much sense......our team spirit has not been built on primma donna's ( who know it all) its been built on players hungry with ambition, and a willingness to learn.

Chelsea, Man U etc have tried signing populist signings based on speculative reputations backed up by  Media sources come unstuck.

Tielemans, McGinn, Kamara, Luiz, Martinez, Konsa show me that with the right approach, quality is still there for modest sums........its what our Maestro is doing at BMH, is the difference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Right he's young and has a bright future, but we don't have the luxury of using him as Emi's #2. All of his growing pains will be magnified by the title race.

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

The Diaby deal and the Zaniolo deal. They both have a lot of of add ons which are all easily achievable. What this does is has the initial annual amortisation cost low but pushes more cost to later.

We are getting into tricky situation and we need to move players on. Extend a couple of contracts. Grow revenue especially like qualifying for Champions League 

Why are we in this position?

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Deffo, but Marschall is a kid. He had a massive wobble though, Olsen has form on the wobbles though which is the difference. If we see that another few times from Marschall then he's into Olsen territory but rightfully he gets cut a bit more slack than an experienced international when he has a brain fart.

• Like 1

I think spending really big money is a dangerous game, in many, many ways....some clubs like Chelsea and Man City, maybe Man U, can seem to ride out the storm, when it goes wrong....few can do that, it takes scalps.

Its all very well, when it works out.....but when it doesn't, its like a flash flood, and takes many victims along the way, with it.

Personally, I am very,very pleased the way we go about our business.....It builds heroe's as opposed to claiming lives....and that subsequently builds club strength.

We have some great people in our backroom staff, I don't want any of them risking their reputations and jobs on the whims of fickle football players, with inflated transfer fees

It takes courage to spend money on players....I hope we continue on the path of prudency, and not get reckless, ( like some clubs) due to our current stature.

I feel sure we will, and for me, I will give them praise for it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1