January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Ousmane Diomande would be the CB we should go for if Konsa wasn’t so good.

We’re at a really difficult point now in terms of transfers as our first 11 is so good, who do you replace?

Maybe we look at the “wonderkid” market and sign a few very high potential players.

The only player I would love us to sign in January is Nico Williams, but can’t see it happening.

Depends on our ambition, if we are to challenge for the title then a number of our first teamers need to move to depth and higher quality starters.  I don’t think that is us, or at least not in the next season or so.  To gain one of those top four places there are just a couple of places that need upgrading imo and some strength in depth although we could still do it as we are if we are lucky with injuries and suspensions plus keep our form good.  You can see how devastating a few key injuries and suspensions are about to hit Spurs for the next month or so.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Depends on our ambition, if we are to challenge for the title then a number of our first teamers need to move to depth and higher quality starters.  I don’t think that is us, or at least not in the next season or so.  To gain one of those top four places there are just a couple of places that need upgrading imo and some strength in depth although we could still do it as we are if we are lucky with injuries and suspensions plus keep our form good.  You can see how devastating a few key injuries and suspensions are about to hit Spurs for the next month or so.

I hope that’s true of Spurs. Certainly for the next couple of days or so! UTV!!!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

By all accounts Monchi likes to shop in France and Brazil, so hoping we can bring in some players I’d never heard of, but proclaim to be an expert of after looking at WhoScored and FBref. 

You’re not alone, in your expertise gathering!

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I hope that’s true of Spurs. Certainly for the next couple of days or so! UTV!!!!

Yeah me too, I’m being presumptive, not necessarily about our game but over a period of the next month.  When you have so many first teamers out over an intense period of games, you would expect them to drop more points than their previous form would suggest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich192 said:

By all accounts Monchi likes to shop in France and Brazil, so hoping we can bring in some players I’d never heard of, but proclaim to be an expert of after looking at WhoScored and FBref. 

I pay so little mind to anything outside of Villa that I barely know anything about anyone we sign these days

If we’ve still got good links with Jorge Mendes then I’d like to see us try for Joao Neves at Benfica. 

Also a random one for comp/cover for Dougie would be Kenneth Taylor at Ajax.

Still think Geertruida at Feyenoord would be a shrewd investment as well, defensive fullback, CB and can cover DM too. A Chambers on steroids.

5 minutes ago, burchy said:

If we’ve still got good links with Jorge Mendes then I’d like to see us try for Joao Neves at Benfica. 

Also a random one for comp/cover for Dougie would be Kenneth Taylor at Ajax.

Still think Geertruida at Feyenoord would be a shrewd investment as well, defensive fullback, CB and can cover DM too. A Chambers on steroids.

Only the 115 mil release clause

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Only the 115 mil release clause

Doesn’t mean we have to pay it though, rumours are Man Utd are interested. Surely if they’re in for him we’d be worth a look too, especially with Emery at the helm.

Perhaps I have my Villa rose tinted goggles on 🤓

5 minutes ago, burchy said:

Doesn’t mean we have to pay it though, rumours are Man Utd are interested. Surely if they’re in for him we’d be worth a look too, especially with Emery at the helm.

Perhaps I have my Villa rose tinted goggles on 🤓

Again they are going to be paying the region of 80+ mil or they won't be signing him. We need to look at cheaper alternatives. 

On 23/11/2023 at 15:37, romavillan said:

He's been Roma's best midfielder this season. Only comparisons to be had with Dendoncker are that Cristante has legs and is a defensive midfielder. He's a better player in terms of ability on the ball by miles.

He's one of those that keeps the play ticking over and can put his foot in when required. Not as good as Luiz or Kamara but would be a decent sub if either are out injured for a month or two.

He is very important to Roma but coming up to 30 so guessing he'd be up for late career move financially.

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

Rodri missed 2 games for City and they lost both. They are shit when he is out. I really don't think we're that far off the top anymore

• Like 1

We are still way off the squads of Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal. They have key man dependencies in single positions where as we have season ruining injuries lurking with Martinez, Luiz, Kamara, Watkins, Mcginn and Cash (as no real alternative) - that’s half the team! 

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's one of those that keeps the play ticking over and can put his foot in when required. Not as good as Luiz or Kamara but would be a decent sub if either are out injured for a month or two.

He is very important to Roma but coming up to 30 so guessing he'd be up for late career move financially.

Yeah last contract or last chance at a really big contract. He could play the Kamara role well IMO but if Roma let him go they'd be insane. They need a new midfield as it is.

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Rodri missed 2 games for City and they lost both. They are shit when he is out. I really don't think we're that far off the top anymore

Ok well we’ll have to agree to disagree. IMO we are a 75 point team, City are 90 point team.  In terms of gulf, that is huge.  It’s more than just Rodri, it’s those 1% all over that make the difference and that’s not just the need for more Unai masterclass coaching, it’s those differences that the likes of Rodri, DeBruyne, Haaland, Grealish, Walker and co make in quality.  We have a good core at that level but not enough.

Plus there are a number of teams that are also 75 point teams and more like Arsenal and Liverpool to start with along with Man U, Spurs and Newcastle who will be aiming for that.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I love the positivity but I think we’re miles off City. Everyone is. It’s why they won the treble. Liverpool and Arsenal will get closest. If we can then stay in the mix for 4th or 5th by the end of the season it would be an amazing achievement. One or two squad additions that can hit the ground running the way Moreno did would be a big help. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Don't stress. City will be playing in National League North soon enough

Just can’t see

1. Any punishment finalised any time soon with all likely appeals, maybe court interventions…it’ll be many many years…

2. That’s if there is any material punishment at all

Therefore we have to continue our ambition and transfer activity based on the current status quo.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just can’t see

1. Any punishment finalised any time soon with all likely appeals, maybe court interventions…it’ll be many many years…

2. That’s if there is any material punishment at all

Therefore we have to continue our ambition and transfer activity based on the current status quo.

Talkshite is Talkshite but I don't think they're wrong in likes of Arsenal etc knowing this Everton thing was coming and scaling back on transfers. Don't be surprised if there's a very inactive January transfer window. I'm very happy that we have Emery in charge dealing with a small family of players, a phrase used by several of our players in interviews. I think we're in perfect space currently and can box clever