Clément Lenglet

Tom13

There was a incident near the end of the Cup match in midweek where on the half way line he passed it sideways and straight to a Chelsea player and put our back line under immediate threat. Thankfully someone stopped the attack from costing us the forth goal. I don't want to be harsh on Lenglet as it must be difficult coming into a team where the defence has had wholesale changes and no continuity, but he an Diego both seem to have a costly blunder in them.

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

I don't want to be harsh on Lenglet as it must be difficult coming into a team where the defence has had wholesale changes and no continuity, but he an Diego both seem to have a costly blunder in them

I mean the simple fact is he’s probably our fifth-choice centre back, and while I don’t think he’s very good I don’t remember us ever having a better fifth choice. The issue has been him having to play so much

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I mean the simple fact is he’s probably our fifth-choice centre back, and while I don’t think he’s very good I don’t remember us ever having a better fifth choice. The issue has been him having to play so much

Just think, we could have had Hause out there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Yes very true. We have had far worse players as our first choice pairings at the back in recent years not naming any names cough, Richards, Lescott, Cough. Lenglet is a decent player, and I am going to put it down to lack of understanding with teammates.

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I keep seeing this guy getting labelled a clown, very harsh IMO? Has he really been bad? Been fine for me.

He's just not Pau. As well as not being able to complete the difficulty of passes Pau does, he occasionally messes up much simpler ones also. A less consistent and slightly worse version of Pau, fine as backup, but depending on him for the length of time we have had cost us.

• Like 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

He's just not Pau. As well as not being able to complete the difficulty of passes Pau does, he occasionally messes up much simpler ones also. A less consistent and slightly worse version of Pau, fine as backup, but depending on him for the length of time we have had cost us.

As good as Pau is, he messed up a few passes himself. But yeah, Lenglet is never going to be at Pau's level, but I don't think he's poor myself.

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I keep seeing this guy getting labelled a clown, very harsh IMO? Has he really been bad? Been fine for me.

O.k as back up. We aren't finishing top 4 though if he starts another ten prem matches.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

As good as Pau is, he messed up a few passes himself. But yeah, Lenglet is never going to be at Pau's level, but I don't think he's poor myself.

He did at the start of the season,  but the couple of months prior to injury he was a consistency monster. I agree Clement isn't poor, but he's a mid table pl player, not a top 4 one. 

Still the same, not as good as Pau passing and then not as good as Mings defensively. 

A back up that should be starting the odd game now thrust into a crucial part of our fixture list. 

Why is he further up the pecking order than Chambers?!

How did this bloke end up on the books at Barcelona?

I trust Unai to the ends of the earth with his decisions regarding our club…

but some of them I don’t understand…

and the continued inclusion of Lenglet is one of them…

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I remember 1 poor pass from Lenglet.

Apart from that, I thought he was ok. In fact, I thought our defense was good. Caught them offside plenty of times.

Didn't help that we let in an early goal from a corner - but that is on Watkins for being slow getting out and playing Rasmus onside.

I think he lacks that something special, but he’s pretty good at everything. Pau (passing), Mings (aerial dominance), and Konsa (pace and calmness) all bring something unique on top of the basics.

Lenglet for me is a perfectly decent player who is just missing that extreme pace or strength or dominance to make him a really top player.

For that reason he’s always going to be squad material. No issues with him really, but we need the better CBs back asap if we want to finish top 4.

• Like 1

Â