Clément Lenglet

Tom13

8 hours ago, RadioTom said:

Some of you really are starting to sound like entitled, spoiled, little muppets. 

Remember where we’ve come from and look forward to where we’re going ffs. For the first time in over a decade, you can trust the people at the wheel.  

Absolutely.

I’m sure a decent number of us wanted a defender, even before Mings got injured, to play as RB competition for Cash.

Emery has decided that Lenglet can come in and not only provide competition / cover for Carlos, Torres and Konsa, but to also allow Konsa to play as the more defensive RB option when needed.

I honestly have no idea how this signing can be seen as a negative.

I know, let’s scrap the deal and use any remaining transfer budget to sign Harry Maguire.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lexicon said:

Can't wait for the uproar from the large arsed Scot community when he has to don some prosthetic buttocks.

No prosthesis for Christian. He will undergo a  rigorous and punishing  regime over several to change his body and achieve  the necessary prominent,  sculpted buttocks

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Absolutely.

I’m sure a decent number of us wanted a defender, even before Mings got injured, to play as RB competition for Cash.

Emery has decided that Lenglet can come in and not only provide competition / cover for Carlos, Torres and Konsa, but to also allow Konsa to play as the more defensive RB option when needed.

I know, let’s scrap the deal and use any remaining transfer budget to sign Harry Maguire.

Yes,  it's  not the rb many wanted/predicted,  but it seems to make a lot of sense. 

In the same way, many want a right footed left sided forward (understandably), but if we do bring someone in, I wouldn't  be totally surprised if it was a right footed right winger (who can play elsewhere), or something else we haven't  even  considered that will enhance the system

• Like 1

This sounds like excellent piece of business, taking a bad situations like Mings' injury and turn it into a potential improvement on our setup.  Also, there's something deeply satisfying about nabbing players directly from a powerhouse like Barcelona. We're not that big yet!

But every action I seem from Emery & co makes me more certain we will be. Pretty soon. Good times.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Taking it in isolation, I agree with you. 

However, the reason I say silly is because no doubt at all Ollie's rotter agent will say something like... "My client will have £10m a year on his new contract please. What do you mean that's too much? You're paying two reserves £8m here. This is your star striker who's played 100% of games for you in the last 4 years. Cough up or we'll head elsewhere and get that easily."

I mean, he'll probably be asking for that anyway to be honest. But Villa don't have much of a negotiating position the more non-essential players we've got hanging around on huge money.

Then it happens with Luiz, then Buendia, then Kamara etc etc...

Football is a right mess.

It's a loan player, though, not one of ours.  We're not paying our player £150k a week or whatever, we're essentially paying £7-8m for a loan.

A year ago, we had Jan Bednarek on loan under the sinking Titanic management of captain Steven Gerrard. Some people need to humble themselves and get behind the players we bring in, whether on loan or permanently. No need for such entitlement. 

• Like 3

Appears we will very much be shifting into an " Attacking Centre Back " model which will probably take us some time to get used to.

A different dynamic meaning we will be able to hit teams from all sorts of angles, depths and ranges.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Appears we will very much be shifting into an " Attacking Centre Back " model which will probably take us some time to get used to.

A different dynamic meaning we will be able to hit teams from all sorts of angles, depths and ranges.

It takes the pressure off of Pau also since Clement has league experience and gives us expansive rotation options with quality ball playing centre backs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Taking it in isolation, I agree with you. 

However, the reason I say silly is because no doubt at all Ollie's rotter agent will say something like... "My client will have £10m a year on his new contract please. What do you mean that's too much? You're paying two reserves £8m here. This is your star striker who's played 100% of games for you in the last 4 years. Cough up or we'll head elsewhere and get that easily."

I mean, he'll probably be asking for that anyway to be honest. But Villa don't have much of a negotiating position the more non-essential players we've got hanging around on huge money.

Then it happens with Luiz, then Buendia, then Kamara etc etc...

Football is a right mess.

This is the concern in football for clubs that tried to break top 6. Happened to Everton, Leicester and Wolves. It will happen to us too unless we somehow are able to consistently increase revenue. 

But nothing we can do about it so may as well enjoy it while it lasts. 

Welcome Lenglat.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah… it’s exciting and we’re going to be so good to watch… and very dangerous for the opposition.

As long as we maintain defensive resilience… we’re going to do really well.

Diego is a massive player for us right now…imo. Just needs to be fit and sharp but… I see him as “the one” to give us what we miss with Ty’s absence and injury 😭 

He can lead the defence.

• Like 2

Solid addition. When our backroom staff came in I'm sure I recall talk of having to strengthen the team and build from a solid foundation. 

This is helping keep the solid foundation now mings is out.

Barca squad players are on stupid wages so it was never going to be cheap.

• Like 1

I honestly don't see any down side to this.

We have 4 fit centre halves, so we can be effective and have cover when we play either 2 or 3 of them. We now have 3 centre halves who have played Champions League football with very established teams, 2 of which have played international football at the highest level. They can all carry the ball out of defence, which is what Unai prefers.

I'm not saying that Lenglet is the 2nd coming of McGrath, but whilst at Spurs last season the team as a whole were still in with a shout of European football on the final day. As poor as they were, it's only poor by their recent standards. Lenglet is not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination. Also, does Lenglet's style fit with Conte? From what I've seen of Conte's teams he prefers a more robust defender, in the style of Chiellini.

At the very worst, we now have another year to scout another CB should Ty not come back the same player.

With regards to his salary, players that get to clubs at the standard of Barca aren't on peanuts. We just need to be careful not to shop at these teams all the time.

Edited by Jonesy7211
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Absolutely.

This!

40 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Kenneth-Williams-4_1202838c.jpg

• Haha 4

Pretty happy with this signing. Gives us the necessary cover we need. Also not too concerned about reports that he was bad for Spurs last season. Every defensive player was bad for Spurs last season. They clearly had issues with defensive structure etc. Something we (hopefully) won't have going forward. 

• Like 1

Â