Visiting Birmingham

KennyC6270

On 23/08/2023 at 15:01, HolteExile said:

Trocadero, Lloyds Bar and the Briar Rose are popular bars for supporters of various hues.  

The Old Joint Stock up by Colmore Row for something a little different (not necessarily a sing song bar, though it is attached to a theatre 😆). Walkabout and plenty of other bars up by Broad Street/ Mailbox as well. 

Is The Shakespeare outside New Street Station a big away fans pub too? 

On 23/08/2023 at 16:52, blandy said:

Barton's Arms is, bit of a walk, but a lot closer than town.

Didn't know it welcomed away fans. 

I'd recommend this to any visitor to the city to be honest. Such a stunning spectacular pub. 

And if they do accept away fans a just about walkable pub or short taxi ride away. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Didn't know it welcomed away fans. 

I'd recommend this to any visitor to the city to be honest. Such a stunning spectacular pub. 

And if they do accept away fans a just about walkable pub or short taxi ride away. 

On a couple of these 'away day reviews' vids on YouTube they go to the Barton arms first, not sure how blatant they are they're away fans though. I can't see there being trouble though

On 24/08/2023 at 14:07, wedge said:

They definitely are, and I agree with your second comment however if any over-inebriated Hibs fans start coming out with any anti-English bile it might be a different story! I know their fans are in a different stratosphere in terms of bigotry to their Old Firm Glasweigan neighbours (in a good sense) but any pro-IRA chants might end with a thick lip/broken nose as well as still a sore subject in our city following the 1974 pub bombings, many Villa fans support the Justice for the 21 campaign for the victim's families and there are people collecting money for their campaign regularly around Villa Park on matchday. If I'm way wide of the mark in assuming many Hibs are of a similar political/reglious allegiance to Celtic then please forgive me.

Miles off fella. 

Hibs were founded by members of the Irish community in Edinburgh but have had the likes of Terry Butcher manage them and Andy Goram play for them. 

The two Edinburgh clubs don't really go in for all that shite. With a few dishonourable exceptions, obv. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Miles off fella. 

Hibs were founded by members of the Irish community in Edinburgh but have had the likes of Terry Butcher manage them and Andy Goram play for them. 

The two Edinburgh clubs don't really go in for all that shite. With a few dishonourable exceptions, obv. 

Fair comment, appreciate the education mate 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

On a couple of these 'away day reviews' vids on YouTube they go to the Barton arms first, not sure how blatant they are they're away fans though. I can't see there being trouble though

The Bartons Arms has always been fine with away fans in my experience, and it was a regular pre and post match pub for me.

On 28/08/2023 at 20:37, sidcow said:

Is The Shakespeare outside New Street Station a big away fans pub too? 

Never been in on a match day, but have you ever been in? I’ve been in a couple of times a few years ago and the toilets are so small I basically had some bloke cradling my scrotum while trying to wee… it wasn’t entirely unpleasant either 🌝 

• Haha 1

Just now, alreadyexists said:

Never been in on a match day, but have you ever been in? I’ve been in a couple of times a few years ago and the toilets are so small I basically had some bloke cradling my scrotum while trying to wee… it wasn’t entirely unpleasant either 🌝 

I've been in a few times.  Great Pub. 

The toilets are so small I once had to basically cradle another blokes scrotum. I had little choice mind, he basically forced my hand over. 

Interestingly the same pubco also own The Shakespeare in Summer Row (equally good). How much confusion must that cause them internally though? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've been in a few times.  Great Pub. 

The toilets are so small I once had to basically cradle another blokes scrotum. I had little choice mind, he basically forced my hand over. 

Interestingly the same pubco also own The Shakespeare in Summer Row (equally good). How much confusion must that cause them internally though? 

Ha ha! Yeah, it is a good little pub. I imagine normal people as well as those interesting in ‘cottaging’ would also like it. 

• Haha 1

On 30/08/2023 at 08:00, alreadyexists said:

Ha ha! Yeah, it is a good little pub. I imagine normal people as well as those interesting in ‘cottaging’ would also like it. 

There was a barmaid who worked there 10-15 years ago who had blue hair, and I was absolutely smitten with her.

I hope she’s doing well, the little minx.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Enda said:

There was a barmaid who worked there 10-15 years ago who had blue hair, and I was absolutely smitten with her.

I hope she’s doing well, the little minx.

Ah barmaids… is there a more desirable job for an attractive young woman? I don’t believe there is. I’ve always loved a barmaid. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Wasn't sure where to write this, so thought I'd put it in this thread.

Me and my dad thought we would get a table at the Barton Arms for a bit of dinner before Ajax, but the phone line doesn't seem to be connecting and Google is now saying temporarily closed.  Does anyone know what's going on with it? It's our favourite pub to have a pretty match pint in so hoping it's not a long term thing?

1 hour ago, bcarpet said:

Wasn't sure where to write this, so thought I'd put it in this thread.

Me and my dad thought we would get a table at the Barton Arms for a bit of dinner before Ajax, but the phone line doesn't seem to be connecting and Google is now saying temporarily closed.  Does anyone know what's going on with it? It's our favourite pub to have a pretty match pint in so hoping it's not a long term thing?

It closed down about a month ago. It’s not permanent, but it’s not not permanent either. Costs, rent, energy…unfortunately.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It closed down about a month ago. It’s not permanent, but it’s not not permanent either. Costs, rent, energy…unfortunately.

Ah that's rubbish! Let's hope someone takes it on, it's far too nice a pub for it to be closed

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

Ah that's rubbish! Let's hope someone takes it on, it's far too nice a pub for it to be closed

Its is a unique building but basically, it is in the middle of nowhere and they can't just rely on match-day income alone. If they do re--open it they will have to work out a way of making it financially sustainable in a very challenging market.

Â