Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

A loss would have been understandable and even nearly acceptable with a performance. Newcastle are excellent.

5-1 and what ever that was is not.

Cash as a right back is not good enough for where we want to be. Bailey as well. We’ve lost Buendia for the season and Mings probably as well. Tough to take and we need at least 2-3 more signings.

It was a disappointing result, but some perspective is needed. Newcastle we’re better, they were at home, they were at full strength whereas we have injuries.

Imagine if the tables weee turned. It’s at Villa Park, we’re full strength, and Newcastle had Tripper, Almiron, Joelinton out injured, then lost Botman in the match. I think we’d spank them as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Trust me, I feel the same and wish we had! Particularly as this will probably be the only game I'm not working during for the next few months.

We got our tactics a bit wrong. Mings going off removed any pace from our defence. Chasing the game we left ourselves even more open and conceded cheap goals at the end.

What I hate is vague talk suggesting we are destined to be losers based on unconnected events in the past.

As a fanbase I do feel we tend to be a lot more gloomy and pessimistic than the average. I trust Unai to not be infected by that sort of nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Trust me, I feel the same and wish we had! Particularly as this will probably be the only game I'm not working during for the next few months.

We got our tactics a bit wrong. Mings going off removed any pace from our defence. Chasing the game we left ourselves even more open and conceded cheap goals at the end.

What I hate is vague talk suggesting we are destined to be losers based on unconnected events in the past.

We'll send you a notification when Ashley Young has the game of his life and bangs in a hat trick next week... don't worry!

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He's not lost ffs he is one of the best managers in the league. He's angry and frustrated.

I challenge any manger in the league to overcome the injury issues we have.

I can't believe people are doubting him after 1 disaster of a week. 

Utter children.

He looked it, calling it as I see it.

Not doubting anyone....Villa were second best today.

So let us peruse the argument it's not Emery's fault then?

Ok next, blame the players...what information were they given to play the game? Why did Villa let them dominate the first five minutes? The pattern was cast very early on....

• Haha 1

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

I get it, but the feeling around the club before today, before Wednesday was absolute positivity. It feels like we have been kicked in the proverbial bollocks. That said if anyone can turn it around the manager can. 

We shouldn’t even be in a position where if one player is injured it completely destroys the foundation of how we were planning to play a game. We should have sufficient cover by now, there was enough opportunities last season to understand what cover was needed, so that if an injury does occur, we don’t completely implode…. This is what the successful teams do. 

For us to field one new starter has really annoyed me. It almost indicates that we haven't improved - just added to the squad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Agreed, glad it's not just me...

Just now, Tayls said:

We shouldn’t even be in a position where if one player is injured it completely destroys the foundation of how we were planning to play a game. We should have sufficient cover by now, there was enough opportunities last season to understand what cover was needed, so that if an injury does occur, we don’t completely implode…. This is what the successful teams do. 

For us to field one new starter has really annoyed me. It almost indicates that we haven't improved - just added to the squad. 

No it doesn't, it just means the manager is bedding players in slowly and that the window hasn't ended yet. It's incredibly common, so common in fact that Newcastle were in the exact same position I believe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villan95 said:

My humble opinions

Martinez 5 - Well below his usual standards. Did some strange things like the foul that led to a yellow and poor distribution. Still made a couple of big saves though.

Cash 3 - Stupid fouls all game. Played them onside for the 2nd goal.

Konsa 4 - Awful mistake for goal 3 I think it was? losing the ball in his own box.

Mings 6 - Not at fault for anything. Going to be a big loss.

Digne 5 - Was alright, some nice crosses in the first half.

Kamara 4 - Sloppy. Not sure what's happened to him since the end of last season.

Luiz 5 - Not the worst player but didn't affect the game enough either.

Bailey 4 - A bit of nice link up play with Diaby but didn't do enough really.

McGinn 5 - Was okay bearing in mind he was out of position on the left.

Diaby 7 - A bright spark in a terrible team performance. Especially lively in the first half and took his goal well.

Watkins 5 - Really quiet game from him. Missed a good chance in the first half.

Subs: 

Pau 5 - Wasn't particularly at fault I don't think but didn't shine either.

Carlos 4 - Defence arguably got worse when he came on but not sure it was all on him.

Tielemans 4 - Game passed him by. Barely noticed him considering he played half the match!

Coutinho 6 - Some nice touches, could do worse than give him a start next match.

Philogene 5 - Not on long but didn't notice him.

Thanks. About right for me, too. I would rate Cash a 4 and Bailey 3 -- I actually think Bailey hurt us. I'd give Bouba a 6 -- poor coaching and fatigue, I felt, and Watkins a 4. 

The worst of it all is I know my Man U fan mate will not say anything about this. Whenever Villa really suck, he doesn't say a word -- and somehow that makes it sting worse lol.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

As a fanbase I do feel we tend to be a lot more gloomy and pessimistic than the average. I trust Unai to not be infected by that sort of nonsense.

I think its the brummie way! I think we are naturally a bit pessimistic and self depreciating. 

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

He looked it, calling it as I see it.

Not doubting anyone....Villa were second best today.

So let us peruse the argument it's not Emery's fault then?

Ok next, blame the players...what information were they given to play the game? Why did Villa let them dominate the first five minutes? The pattern was cast very early on....

The atmosphere at kick off was hugely positive, Newcastle were in champs league and signed some great players. The fans had huge energy and passed that on to their team. Hats off. We needed to weather the first 15, but we didn't. It would have been difficult for anyone.

• Like 1

Our defense was suspect in preseason, and today it just collapsed. It happened before Mings injury, and just got worse after that. What now that we're without Mings?

If we continue with the same defensive strategy, we'll ship a boatload of goals this season.

Just now, maxjackle said:

The atmosphere at kick off was hugely positive, Newcastle were in champs league and signed some great players. The fans had huge energy and passed that on to their team. Hats off. We needed to weather the first 15, but we didn't. It would have been difficult for anyone.

Totally agree, Villa knew what to expect....

Just weather it for twenty minutes FFS.

Villa capitulated, hence why I am completely justified in calling it underprepared...

I don't care who is responsible, it's just soft.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

How is bedding in new players gradually, which many clubs do, including the team that just beat us 5-1, amount to evidence of a culture of unpreparedness?

'Cos they aren't ready? Equals unprepared, semantics right.

Just now, AVTuco said:

Our defense was suspect in preseason, and today it just collapsed. It happened before Mings injury, and just got worse after that. What now that we're without Mings?

If we continue with the same defensive strategy, we'll ship a boatload of goals this season.

But it's worthless to vent about that as this is how he plays football and isn't changing.

A better ball playing defender doesn't do Konsa's mistake