Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

TRO, you mentioned that, he's passive for a big lad and he doesn't seem to have fire in his belly to make things work. Then you pointed McGinn as an example of this attribute, hence why I responded to your post, even if I went off at a slight tangent. I haven't suggested that you haven't been supportive of him however, not everyone has the attitude of McGinn. Other than Kamara our midfield are all pretty lightweight to a point, and there are also a lot of players in the side without what you might call "fire in their belly" or that nastiness to bully opponents. 

I think personally think it's harsh to label him as passive or question his inner spirit when he's had very little chance to impress since the away game in Europe and the Sheff Utd game. Which incidentally should have been the catalyst for him getting a run of games in his preferred position, but no, he got dropped back to the bench and reduced down to cameo appearances. It's enough to knock anyone's confidence when you might feel you're making headway, especially when we've been pretty poor as a team the last couple of months. 

Imo confidence and the lack of it is the main factor in what we are witnessing with Zaniolo. Whether or not that is the only factor as to why it's not working out for him, time will tell, but l don't see passiveness or his size and lack of strength as the reason at all.      

Thanks for your opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Put it this way, of all the outfield players, I would put money on McGinn being the first name on that team sheet. 

First? Highly doubtful. I'd say Emi, Pau, Konsa, Kamara, Luiz and Ollie at least would be ahead.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

First? Highly doubtful. I'd say Emi, Pau, Konsa, Kamara, Luiz and Ollie at least would be ahead.

Emi isn't an outfield player. The reason I think McGinn, he's the captain and leads by example. He never hides, even when it's not happening for him. Also, no - one else in the squad can give what he gives, imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

We'll he's the Captain so of course he would be. He wasn't when Emery first arrived though. 

Is he the best player... he's not even the best midfielder. 

And I really like McGinn before this turns into a McGinn hating discussion. 

Regardless of opinions, there's a reason why he's the captain. It speaks for itself. 

• Like 1

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Emi isn't an outfield player. The reason I think McGinn, he's the captain and leads by example. He never hides, even when it's not happening for him. Also, no - one else in the squad can give what he gives, imo.

Ironically, I think when the play is tight he doesn't offer himself as an option as much as he should. Although this wasn't the case in his best form under Emery.

No-one else can give what he gives? In what way? Every player is unique, you could say he can't do what some of our other players can.

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Ironically, I think when the play is tight he doesn't offer himself as an option as much as he should. Although this wasn't the case in his best form under Emery.

No-one else can give what he gives? In what way? Every player is unique, you could say he can't do what some of our other players can.

Nothing unique about Callum Chambers. McGinn wears his heart on his shirt and tells it like it is. He's probably the most humble player in the squad. Never sulks when substituted, on the contrary, he respects the decision and as often been seen kicking and heading every ball whilst watching from the bench, I would say that is pretty unique. 

You do have to wonder just how much further he can fall in the pecking order. The club clearly don’t want to get anywhere near the obligation to buy (if there is one and it’s appearance based). Maybe he’ll play the odd conference game to give another player a rest.

We’re ravaged by injuries and he was left on the bench alongside KKH, Gauci, Olsen and Chanbers yesterday. 

I said it after the Bournemouth game, you simply cannot play like that and expect to play again. 

I wonder if he’s been told behind the scenes he has no future here? I’m actually interested in how these things are managed.

• Like 1

I thought yesterday was an improvement. The way he disrupted that throw in for them was much better than the effect he’s had recently. Maybe that’s his new role. 

Disruptor from the touchline. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

You do have to wonder just how much further he can fall in the pecking order. The club clearly don’t want to get anywhere near the obligation to buy (if there is one and it’s appearance based). Maybe he’ll play the odd conference game to give another player a rest.

We’re ravaged by injuries and he was left on the bench alongside KKH, Gauci, Olsen and Chanbers yesterday. 

I said it after the Bournemouth game, you simply cannot play like that and expect to play again. 

I wonder if he’s been told behind the scenes he has no future here? I’m actually interested in how these things are managed.

I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't have a future with us now. Even if he hasn't been told directly, he should be able to work it out from the lack of game time. I think Rogers will start to get more minutes than zaniolo soon and he will only be used if we are down to bare bones 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Aside from Buendia and Duran, we have every single attacking player available to us?

We are ravaged in Defence and DM only. 

If he's being kept out of the team by Jacob Ramsey, Moussa Diaby and Leon Bailey I'd say that's hardly anything to be ashamed of. 

• Like 3

It's funny, Rogers didn't get off the bench the last two fixtures and Diaby literally only came on after 78 minutes on Saturday, yet the false narrative is Zaniolo has fallen down the pecking order.

Unai has clearly gone off Zaniolo for whatever reason, but I don't necessarily think he's fallen down the pecking order, Ramsey has always been Unai's favourite and Diaby is our record signing. He obviously doesn't trust Rogers ether as he only came on against Sheffield Utd and hasn't featured since. I still think Zaniolo is ahead of Rogers in the pecking order. 

I do think as the season has gone on Unai seems to be taking longer to freshen things up which is a concern. Earlier in the season he was utilising the squad really well, but now is waiting until nearly 80 minutes to turn to his bench which is a worry. In the Fulham game we were under the cosh a bit from 60 minutes onwards and could have done with some freshness at least 10 minutes earlier than when the subs actually came on. 

We'll need a lot of rotation for European games. The European game on 7th March just before Spurs needs a fair bit of rotation IMO, Zaniolo, Diaby, Rogers, Iroegbunam, maybe even KKH could do with starting that one so that our first 11 is fully ready for Spurs as that feels a crucial game to make Champions League (although equally I do want us to try to win the Europa Conference League too). 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I thought yesterday was an improvement. The way he disrupted that throw in for them was much better than the effect he’s had recently. Maybe that’s his new role. 

Disruptor from the touchline. 

Sounds like a nickname for Lee Scratch Perry.

• Haha 4

Is it possible that Zaniolo has some form of compulsory purchase clause based on appearances? Im struggling to understand why he isnt used more frequently. especially compared to his run of games at the start of the season and our subsequent injury crisis.

Â