Christmas 2023

sidcow

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone had to make cut backs for xmas this year? Speaking to alot of my friends they saying xmas is stressing them out as they have to spend so much money on kids presents . When probing the kind of gifts talking about laptops,consoles etc.

I just dont understand if you are struggling for money just getting gifts that are not extortionate ehy you getting yourself in debt?

not really in all honesty, I started earlier, bought 1 present with my December wages and I've got 1 left to go. I've picked away at the kids presents for months again with the amazon wishlist and price drop alerts, their main presents were bought in September, nothing on a credit card (I don't have one anyway)

the food shop will be the only real ouch moment but that's also because I'm at home for the 2 weeks which always costs more anyway not just because im throwing money at cheese and beer

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i put around 30 records on my amazon wishlist and then sent it round to my wife and mom, should get at least 3 at a guess

A few weeks back my wife said "what's your favourite song"?

Not that I could actually answer without a couple of hours thought I said "Terry Keeps His Clips On" by Viv Stanshall (I actually have the 45).

This prompts me to look for copies of his album "Teddy Boys Don't Knit".

"I've already got you one for Christmas now, you awkward ****" says the wife 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

not really in all honesty, I started earlier, bought 1 present with my December wages and I've got 1 left to go. I've picked away at the kids presents for months again with the amazon wishlist and price drop alerts, their main presents were bought in September, nothing on a credit card (I don't have one anyway)

the food shop will be the only real ouch moment but that's also because I'm at home for the 2 weeks which always costs more anyway not just because im throwing money at cheese and beer

Yeah the foods going to be as bad as the presents thats for sure pending how many people you are having round

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

A friend of mine spent a fortune gifting me some Beans On Toast albums for no reason other than he thought I’d like them. I gave one of the albums a cursory listen, but I just didn’t have any interest. I’m trying to work out how long they have to be ‘on display’ before they can go to less accessible storage.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Thats odd. A mate of mine messaged me saying you will love Beans on toast, he was wrong, and I am not sure how he came to it either. Never gifted me albums by him though thankfully.

You're not both friends with a bloke called Jay are you?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

You're not both friends with a bloke called Jay are you?

Giant cock? First kid in school to shag a teacher? The original male model for the interactive Karma Sutra? Invented the word rizz?

No.

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

3 Vinyl shaped packages have come into this house, and not been opened in front of me. They have since disappeared. This is potentially good, if it wasn't for the fact that I have no vinyl on my wishlist, I tend to buy vinyl myself as its tricky ground, some albums I want for the car, and some for the home, vinyl covers the latter. My hope is that its Wings debut and Beastie Boys 3rd album, but even them I haven't gone out and said I really want them.

Now 116 on limited edition vinyl. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I just dont understand if you are struggling for money just getting gifts that are not extortionate ehy you getting yourself in debt?

They just need to say no to their kids. My folks had no money when i was a nipper, so I was happy with anything :) 

The plan was to spend Boxing Day to New Years Eve in the motorhome in Cirencester, in the end having a couple of days in Southport and the remainder in St Annes. Usually by Boxing Day the family is ready to kill each other so will be looking forward to getting away.

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The plan was to spend Boxing Day to New Years Eve in the motorhome in Cirencester, in the end having a couple of days in Southport and the remainder in St Annes. Usually by Boxing Day the family is ready to kill each other so will be looking forward to getting away.

Always a tricky period to fill, the festive gooch.

• Haha 3

On 04/12/2023 at 09:44, Demitri_C said:

I just dont understand if you are struggling for money just getting gifts that are not extortionate why you getting yourself in debt?

Alot of parents and grandparents feel under pressure to buy little Billy whatever he wants for Xmas, even if that means getting themselves in financial bother. It's understandable as most parents want the best for their child and don't want their kid to miss out on what all the other kids are getting or what he/she really wants. 

I agree though it's not worth getting in debt over presents. Get what you can afford and explain to your children the expense of Xmas. Kids are way more understanding than people give them credit for. Also cut back on the gifts for the adults you know, if those adults really want something they just buy it themselves. Chances are the gift you are giving them isn't what they were after. Same for nieces/nephews etc. No need to buy fifty gifts every Xmas. A donation has been made in your name to the human fund...

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Always a tricky period to fill, the festive gooch.

When my daughter was much younger, there was her, me and my wife essentially in the house for 12 days. I said then I would never take time off over Christmas again. I didnt until I moved jobs and now I am obligated to be off between Christmas and New Year. Those 12 days are testament to it being more expensive to live apart than to live together.

33 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Alot of parents and grandparents feel under pressure to buy little Billy whatever he wants for Xmas, even if that means getting themselves in financial bother. It's understandable as most parents want the best for their child and don't want their kid to miss out and what all the other kids are getting or what he/she really wants. 

I agree though it's not worth getting in debt over presents. Get what you can afford and explain to your children the expense of Xmas. Kids are way more understanding than people give them credit for. Also cut back on the gifts for the adults you know, if those adults really want something they just buy it themselves. Chances are the gift you are giving them isn't what they were after. Same for nieces/nephews etc. No need to buy fifty gifts every Xmas. A donation has been made in your name to the human fund...

Agree with most of that. I think difference is these days to my day when i was a kid my parents said no. We always wanted a gamibg system me and my brothee growing up and it wasnt until i were  10 years old before my dad got us a snes. That one xmas was best ever just because we got the gift 

If you get them what they want every year they become accustomed to that. Thats whats missing that feeling when you get that special gift you always wanted.

Your point about buying other adults wholeheartedly agree with that

• Like 2