Penalties…

Spoony

14 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Emery will have Ollie practicing penalties for the rest of the season.  No striker should have issues of placing in the corner.   Stick Emi in goal and practice practise practise.

Unfortunately penalties are nothing to do with hitting the corners when the pressure is off.

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You also need players that can convert pens too thata not enough

Pretty sure in that Chelsea game likes of Konsa and Buendia scored (will have to watch it again) so I'd back us to score 3 or 4 and then it's a case of Emi doing his stuff.

Emery won a european trophy two years ago when every single player scored a penalty in that shoot out v Man. United so we'll be practising when the cup games start for sure.

On 03/08/2023 at 20:25, VillaChris said:

How many did Diaby take for Leverkusen out of interest?

Buendia's scored the odd one for us so think if he's on the pitch he'd be a solid pick.

I agree, Ollie is never convincing when taking them so not sure why he's still deemed first choice after the Liverpool miss.

Thats prolific for us..😀

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The winner was even better! 

Penalties are all about confidence in my opinion. A good taker always knows what they are going to do before taking it and is sure they will score.  AEG one of the best penalty takers I’ve ever seen.

True..plus aggression.

you have to psych yourself in to a tenacious mind set, but showing composure at the same time.

its all in the head.

Edited by TRO

thought this was interesting.

Watkins with a 44% penalty success rate, absolutely shocking (even worse if you include the friendly miss, making it 4-6)

As many said here, it should clearly be Coutinho or Tielemans, depending on who is on the pitch.

image.thumb.png.a76a0d8d53c4da9abdd3e72b5ed19979.png

direct link here, for those interested:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

That data is wrong. Coutinho missed a penalty last season for us I'm pretty sure.

Pre season last July, v Leeds. Meslier save.

Competitively it seems he hasn’t missed one in his career, 12 out of 12.

• Like 1

It's not ideal that out of the players likely to be on the pitch we don't have a penalty taker. Statistically we'd want Coutinho on them but it seems unlikely that he'll regularly be on the pitch. The 2nd best option would be Tielemans, so would be good if he can become a regular. Otherwise we're taking a bit of a gamble hoping Douglas or McGinn or someone can learn on the job.

As an aside it's always surprised me that some really excellent footballers aren't better at penalties. Like Messi for example has missed 31 out of 140.

For what it’s worth I think it will be Watkins taking them. To start off with anyway.

And I think that will be case until he misses one or two and it proves costly. 

Watkins misses one but we’ve won that game 3-0 and Watkins himself has got on the scoresheet…then he will likely take the next one.

Missing penalties and subsequently missing out on points, then a replacement will quickly be sought. My guess, anyway.

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For what it’s worth I think it will be Watkins taking them. To start off with anyway.

And I think that will be case until he misses one or two and it proves costly. 

Watkins misses one but we’ve won that game 3-0 and Watkins himself has got on the scoresheet…then he will likely take the next one.

Missing penalties and subsequently missing out on points, then a replacement will quickly be sought. My guess, anyway.

I think you may be right unfortunately. Taking the penalties off your main goalscorer isn't something you want to do lightly for the effect it has on his confidence etc. Although I can't imagine missing penalties does his confidence much good either?

I'd argue there's been a couple of costly misses already though. Liverpool at the end of last season and West Ham a couple of seasons ago to get us a point.

19 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I think you may be right unfortunately. Taking the penalties off your main goalscorer isn't something you want to do lightly for the effect it has on his confidence etc. Although I can't imagine missing penalties does his confidence much good either?

I'd argue there's been a couple of costly misses already though. Liverpool at the end of last season and West Ham a couple of seasons ago to get us a point.

Yeah regularly missing them won’t help anyone. Probably worth me adding a caveat that even if we’re winning the games and Watkins is scoring in them AND he’s constantly missing penalties in those wins- that dynamic won’t have a long shelf life. I don’t see him missing three in row and retaining the responsibility, for example.

It’s all what ifs, but I suspect the feeling is, in the instance of that Liverpool miss, we likely might have gone to draw that game anyway. Rightly or wrongly, I think there is that mindset. If he had missed the penalty when we were 1-0 up, then it would be more of a problem.

As had been mentioned, I think it’s an infrequent issue. If we had a penalty every other week I’d be more concerned about it. As it is, I think it will probably prove to be that we’ll probably have around five penalties across the season, Watkins will maybe score three of them and one of the misses might result in us dropping points.

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah regularly missing them won’t help anyone. Probably worth me adding a caveat that even if we’re winning the games and Watkins is scoring in them AND he’s constantly missing penalties in those wins- that dynamic won’t have a long shelf life. I don’t see him missing three in row and retaining the responsibility, for example.

It’s all what ifs, but I suspect the feeling is, in the instance of that Liverpool miss, we likely might have gone to draw that game anyway. Rightly or wrongly, I think there is that mindset. If he had missed the penalty when we were 1-0 up, then it would be more of a problem.

As had been mentioned, I think it’s an infrequent issue. If we had a penalty every other week I’d be more concerned about it. As it is, I think it will probably prove to be that we’ll probably have around five penalties across the season, Watkins will maybe score three of them and one of the misses might result in us dropping points.

To be honest I hope he doesn't get the chance to miss any more but I suspect like you said he will probably be on the first one at least this season and then go from there.

I just think when a penalty should be around an 80% chance of a goal and we're turning it into around a 40% chance it's something that needs addressing.

Emery doesn't get much wrong though so I'm sure he has a plan, whether that's keeping faith in Ollie to keep him confident or changing the taker.

Â