Jas10

Bailey or Philogene?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Bailey or Philogene?

• Sell Bailey, Keep Philogene
    • Keep Bailey, Loan Philogene
    • Keep Bailey, Sell Philogene

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/23 at 18:57

I think if we want to get the best out of Philogene's creativity he's better suited to playing on the left hand side, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where he ended up playing for us, maybe as Ramsey's understudy.

I don't think he's anyone's replacement really, as it stands Diaby as replaced Bailey as first choice, and Bailey has replaced Traore as second choice, Philogene has come into the squad and gives us an option we didn't previously have, it probably should be more a question of Philogene or new winger rather than Philogene or Bailey, or you could equally ask Bailey or new winger, but I don't think Philogene and Bailey are pitted against each other.

• Like 2

Abstaining from the vote...

Keep both, Philogene is looking good at the moment but we may need Bailey.

Of course normally they favour different parts of the pitch. Philogene seems left-side and Bailey has played mostly on the right for Villa.

If Villa sign someone like Torres or Doku then this question might have different answers; it seems like we are pushing for one of them.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Abstaining from the vote...

Keep both, Philogene is looking good at the moment but we may need Bailey.

Of course normally they favour different parts of the pitch. Philogene seems left-side and Bailey has played mostly on the right for Villa.

If Villa sign someone like Torres or Doku then this question might have different answers; it seems like we are pushing for one of them.

Agreed...signing either (or both) Torres and Doku could change my vote!

• Like 1

Neither.....Philogene is far, far too young, to be talking about selling him.

He has shown, signs of being a real find.....he just needs game time, and confidence building, by playing.

Young players, tend to be cautious and afraid of letting their mates and manager down.....Once he gets a bit of swagger, he will be a real threat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Bailey? Hmmm… let’s say 15-20m… I can’t imagine anyone offering more than that… and I can’t imagine the club accepting any less considering what we paid for him…

Btw, I’d rather keep both around. Just interested to gauge opinion.

Again, this is just a hypothetical…

You should have given us that choice. That would have been mine and also what I think will actually happen.

Dunno if people are taking this too seriously or misunderstanding the question, thought I’d covered it in that first comment:

in the hypothetical situation, that we would have to let one of these players go, so IF we had to, which of those 3 options would you choose? And we don’t have to sell Jaden, could send him on loan again… 

Could also phrase it as, if you had a gun to your head and had to make one of these choices, which one would it be?

Hope that’s clearer, if we like we can assume that both would be sticking around otherwise…

But what choice would you make in this “imaginary” scenario?

Theres no need to put a “both” option there, imo… and Traore is irrelevant in this case…

Feel free to abstain…

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Keep both preferred but I certainly wouldn't swap out Baileys goals and assists for a guy who's had a couple of good pre season appearances. Lets not get carried away. 

Yeah, I’m kind of leaning this way… it’s easy to overreact and overhype our youngsters. I expect a much better Leon Bailey (and Buendia) this season… it wouldn’t be the end of the world if Jaden went on loan again and continued his development with plenty of games…

However, Unai has shown huge faith in Philogene and he can play a part…

He probably could take Berty’s space if he can show that he can be fairly consistent in his performances and continue to show potential… he’s being given that opportunity…

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Neither.....Philogene is far, far too young, to be talking about selling him.

He has shown, signs of being a real find.....he just needs game time, and confidence building, by playing.

Young players, tend to be cautious and afraid of letting their mates and manager down.....Once he gets a bit of swagger, he will be a real threat.

There’s a loan option there too TRO, and this is an imaginary scenario…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

Agreed...signing either (or both) Torres and Doku could change my vote!

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yes indeed, in that case Bailey could go...

I'd like to keep Philogene and Emery seems to like him too.

Yeah, that’s another way we could look at it too. If we bring in another attacker, which of these choices would you make in that case?

I get the impression we will make such a signing too, maybe toward the end of the window.

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

In the hypothetical situation that one of these players would need to leave the club this season, what would be your preferred choice?

Great thread idea ... I picked Keep Bailey, Loan Philogene, but it's a deliciously horrible set of choices. My real vote would be keep both, of course! I think JPB and the club might not be hurt badly with a tasty loan deal, but Bailey is going to have to prove himself soon. He's a great player, but the standards are rising around him.

• Thanks 1

Â