Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

The World Cup is helping sell more tickets for the Villa v Utd game at Villa Park on the 1st of Ocober.

Can only sell more if we actually win it.

Opening blocks of the Lower Holte now.  Should be a record attendance for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

They won’t 

38 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think they will because the manager and players have a winning mentality. 

I don’t think they will, because they didn’t after the Euros and it’s sort of the same thing. 

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think they will because the manager and players have a winning mentality. 

I didn’t mean they won’t win it. I meant people won’t be able to name the team like they did with the ‘66 team

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I don’t think they will, because they didn’t after the Euros and it’s sort of the same thing. 

WC and Euros are very different things, especially to the 'general public'. My wife actually hates football, but she could probably name several of the '66 team (Banks, Moore, the Charltons). Whereas I don't think she even knows what the Euros are. Even with the women's Euros, she had only a vague idea that England had won some sort of trophy. But the World Cup final? She's already planning her Sunday around it. Translate that to families with kids, around the country, and it could be a real biggie. 

But only if they win... 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

WC and Euros are very different things, especially to the 'general public'

I disagree, I think they are both considered the same (in both men’s and women’s games).

I dunno I've barely watched any women's football and I know a few names of the England and Villa women's teams. Reading sports news and catching the odd game it'll sink in.

Weirdly I think it will be somewhat similar to Rugby Union. I know a LOT of people who watch England, Six Nations, World Cup etc and can think of literally two people who have any sort of interest in club rugby. I don't think women's football will be as popular but the England players will be quite well known.

Nice! 

Edit: To clarify, it's in the "Lion's Square" fanzone, rather than inside the stadium. So no issues with people trying to stick around inside for the Everton game without tickets 😅 appears to be a few moaning on Twitter incase it causes more issues at VP or in terms of traffic & travel. 

Personally think this is great and exactly the kind of thing I was looking forward to Villa Live for (the Boxpark thing). I hope this is well supported this weekend as a first seeming trial run

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Sweden are looking an awful lot better than Australia in this third place playoff. I still think they have been my favourite team overall in this tournament and it's a shame they didn't make it to the final.

Australia had real difficulty handling the press from Sweden. Especially their back 4 + goalie has given the ball away far too easy.

23 minutes ago, sne said:

Australia had real difficulty handling the press from Sweden. Especially their back 4 + goalie has given the ball away far too easy.

Yes, and Sweden just seem like one of those teams that is strong all round. Good defensively, capable midfield and some solid attacking options. Maybe not the best individually in any department but as a team just seemed really strong.

I know women’s football is somewhat forced down everyone’s throats a bit BUUUT two things:

1) a friend of mine has a 6 year old daughter who now wants to be a lioness and always wants to wear her full England kit. If I had a daughter I think that would make my entire life.

2) I volunteer in football in Somerset and the number of women now participating has gone up 26% and we are very confident that that is almost entirely down to the World Cup and how it has been promoted.

These are good things and it is worth the admittedly slightly force agenda. It is all working to make football more inclusive. And tbh, the men’s game is so gone I’m finding myself more interested in the World Cup than anything else going on at the moment. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yes, and Sweden just seem like one of those teams that is strong all round. Good defensively, capable midfield and some solid attacking options. Maybe not the best individually in any department but as a team just seemed really strong.

She had a quiet tournament though scored today but Asslani is one of the best players I have seen live in an individual performance

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I know women’s football is somewhat forced down everyone’s throats a bit BUUUT two things:

1) a friend of mine has a 6 year old daughter who now wants to be a lioness and always wants to wear her full England kit. If I had a daughter I think that would make my entire life.

2) I volunteer in football in Somerset and the number of women now participating has gone up 26% and we are very confident that that is almost entirely down to the World Cup and how it has been promoted.

These are good things and it is worth the admittedly slightly force agenda. It is all working to make football more inclusive. And tbh, the men’s game is so gone I’m finding myself more interested in the World Cup than anything else going on at the moment. 

I mean it's not as forced as the so called 'Big 7' at every opportunity, bar when they are trying to reintegrate abusers that is, strangely radio silence there

• Like 2

I take it as it comes it's fun and England are decent so what is not to like.   Villa Ladies are on a journey too again it's fun and a more family friendly environment.

I think it will grow and grow and I have no issue with it.  The more football the better for me.   

Said it before but I would love it if it was a summer sport gives me something to follow 12 months of the year them 😉 

Â