Brennan Johnson

alreadyexists

Just now, pintpotvilla said:

That's exactly the position we need to be to break into the top 4

No we don't at all. That's nothing like the answer. That's a bad way to think IMO.

Cost of player does not relate to the quality of the player at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No we don't at all. That's nothing like the answer. That's a bad way to think IMO.

Cost of player does not relate to the quality of the player at all.

We are talking about Johnson and he is exactly the calibre of player we need on the bench. It's absolutely the answer. We have to have a quality squad

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say here.

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

We are talking about Johnson and he is exactly the calibre of player we need on the bench. It's absolutely the answer. We have to have a quality squad

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say here.

Spending money ≠ success.

That's my general point. We need a quality bench, I agree with you there.

I don't think we need to be thinking as a club we "should" be buying £50m players if they aren't good enough to start for us.

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Spending money ≠ success.

That's my general point. We need a quality bench, I agree with you there.

I don't think we need to be thinking as a club we "should" be buying £50m players if they aren't good enough to start for us.

We have a lot of players who we wouldn't sell for £50m. It's just a figure. My point is that we will need that type of quality on the bench. Emery will rotate to suit the opposition

so £50m players WILL  be on the bench and that is good

Edited by pintpotvilla

37 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

We have a lot of players who we wouldn't sell for £50m. It's just a figure. My point is that we will need that type of quality on the bench. Emery will rotate to suit the opposition

so £50m players WILL  be on the bench and that is good

I'd agree with you there then sir.

• Like 1

I would absolutely love to have Brennan Johnson as a Villa player. I think that he would be a perfect fit for us and a first team squad fixture for the next half a dozen seasons .... but, the price Forest will demand means that signing him is probably not good financial sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

He'd be a decent pick up for about £25-£30m, but Forest clearly want more than that - he simply isn't worth that.

We aren't in a position where we can have £50m players sat on the bench.

Given that he'd just give us a homegrown player, I'd rather we kept Philogene around because he'd also give us a club-trained player for Europe, as well as probably being more understanding at being a regular sub

Forest wouldn't let him for for less  than 40 mil plus, he is the key player for them. He looks a decent prospect but we could get better value elsewhere. However it seems a fairly obvious move for him.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I get the fact we can get better value elsewhere but I don’t get the ‘he would be good for 30m but not 50m’.  So for the sake of 20m we wouldn’t want a player that could potentially be a key player for the next 5 years at least ?

Im not saying we should spend that money on him. I’m just saying if we really want a player we shouldn’t lose out over 20m.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get the fact we can get better value elsewhere but I don’t get the ‘he would be good for 30m but not 50m’.  So for the sake of 20m we wouldn’t want a player that could potentially be a key player for the next 5 years at least ?

Im not saying we should spend that money on him. I’m just saying if we really want a player we shouldn’t lose out over 20m.

I agree, he’s local, just turned 22 years old that would be excited to join us.  If the club are interested him then big money is justified for him as he could be a key player for us for the next ten years.  It’s just if Emery wants him and thinks he’s a good prospect.

42 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Absolutely agree if the club think he's absolutely the best we can get for £50m.

I get the enthusiasm for Brennan Johnson, but the sort of sums they would want, when we have an untried young player already in place....leaves me in doubt of the prudence of that.

Brennan Johnson is roughly a year older than Cam, so was given his chance in the Championship in season 2021-22, where he scored 16 league goals in 46 games.....a rate of 2.87

Cameron archer was out on Loan in the championship with 2 clubs Preston and Middlesbrough 2021-22 and then 2022-23 accruing 40 games scoring 18 goals.....a Rate of 2.22

Now, I am not trying to peddle any hard an fast opinions here....but my take on this is Brennan has a had a chance in the Premier league to prove himself.....Cameron hasn't yet.

How do we know, that Cameron isn't able to score 10 goals this coming season, like Brennan did in 2022-23......I think he can, given the game time.

I think we have 2 young lads with bundles of Potential....lets not miss out on it, by chasing "oven ready" alternatives and hampering the progress they can make with us.

FWIW.....I don't think UE will take that risk of spending good money on  flowers in Bloom....when he has possibly just as good growing in the Greenhouse.

PS i hear figures being banded around of £50 mill for Johnson and £15 mill for Archer......I don't quite get that.....One more season of patience and we might see a player like Archer, look like a Johnson......Thats what opportunities can bring.

PPS  We have produced Dwight Yorke ,Gary Shaw, Brian Little, John Deehan, Gabby Agbonlahor, Keith Leonard etc all goal scorers from our youth system or youth teams......all had one common denominator, someone trusted them , to give them a chance.

Edited by TRO

Â