Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

48 minutes ago, Rolta said:

That's what I've been saying all along. The design isn't bad at all. The colours and the drop shadow are the issue. It looks nice with a good lion that actually stands out with some contrast.

I actually quite like this. Feels like it adds far more weight to the badge so your eyes aren’t dragged down to the bottom (insert Kenneth). It also alleviates the contrast issue of yellow on blue.

Sadly, it won’t be this either because it’d look awful in smaller formats.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Whatever happens we need to keep our Shield Badge in some way. We've had it for the entirety of the PL Era and the round bad is really run of the mill and was only voted for by fans because of 1982 and the nostalgia. 

The mess comes from the move from Purslow to Heck and a superior person in control of the commercial and business decisions now who has inherited lots of decisions. I feel a lot of Purslows decisions were based on how it would reflect on him and his image, he loved the media attention. For him the new Stand and the afterglow of that on him personally and during the Euro games there was more important than the pure business benefit for Aston Villa. 

The badge change was another thing Purslow started and was it needed at that time? If there was a do over the fans would be consulted on aspects of the badge but the club itself would decide if the Shield was to be kept. 

We absolutely need to keep the Shield, I'm glad the club will. To me and all the years I've supported Villa from 1990/191 to now it has always been the Shield. The Shield is Villa

Nah the round badge is Villa, the early 80s away kits with it are some of the most beautiful shirts in the history of world football 

• Like 2

Towards the end of the meeting, supporters were shown a video montage which unveiled a new badge. Those inside the room spoke of their initial shock towards the announcement given they had not been consulted over the design.

“Heck presented the new crest to us with a video accompanying it,” said one supporter, who asked to speak on the condition of anonymity. “We never got asked if we liked it or not. But no one said anything because there was no time left in the meeting to discuss it. I think it was also because we were told ‘this the crest’ — no one asked us for our opinion.”

The crest displayed within the montage is believed to be the one that surfaced online last week, as a result of an eagle-eyed supporter noticing that Villa had registered it as a trademark with the UK government before the meeting with the FAB group.

Significantly, however, this was at odds with what Heck said in his first public interview since joining Villa, published on the club website on December 19, the day before the meeting.

“Bar a very general survey, which was issued with the preface of returning to a shield design (that seems to have confirmed nothing new beyond the previous survey), there has been zero supporter consultation or insight,” said the article.

“Any request during previous meetings to have any involvement in the process — as per FA rules — was rejected by Ben Hatton. There has been ZERO evidence of ‘working very closely with supporter groups’, or passing it over to them to decide what is best. Literally, none of what he has said has happened.

“No supporter is asking for any direct influence or say in the crest process. It’s simply a matter of not wanting to listen to disrespectful empty rhetoric and for the FA rules to be followed properly at face value.”

The Athletic understands the FA intends to speak to Villa’s fan advisory board through the FSA and will be asked to share concerns. This was outlined last Thursday (January 4). Any changes Villa end up making to the crest will be dependent on compliance with the FA’s ‘Heritage Asset rules’. Talks between the FA and the club will continue to ensure appropriate fan consultation.

An informal meeting between Villa officials, including Hatton, and the fan advisory board is scheduled to take place on January 31. Discussions regarding off-the-field discord will continue.

“The communication has just been poor,” said one FAB member. “It is just another sign of fans being overlooked on key issues.”

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Is there a requirement for them to pass it by the fans in a vote according to the heritage asset rules? Or did we just do that last time as an extra step?

If those rules don't require it to be voted on, then I'm not sure it would breach and herirage asset regulations. Its the same lion,  its the same colour, and its largely the same badge as Lerner's so can hardly be accused of not recognising the heritage.

I think the scale of the fan response is why we haven't heard anything from the club yet. They may get the OK from the FA, but if they've got any sense they're going to realise this isn't the way to go. 

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Whatever happens we need to keep our Shield Badge in some way. We've had it for the entirety of the PL Era and the round bad is really run of the mill and was only voted for by fans because of 1982 and the nostalgia. 

But the majority of fans want it, doesn’t matter the reason, the fans want it.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

The badge change was another thing Purslow started and was it needed at that time?

The Villa fan badge has been (pardon the pun) badgering the club to change back to the round badge since the original Lerner badge.  There has been discussion about how poor the shirted badges have been since inception of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Sounds to me like Heck's new shield will never see the light of day.

Hopefully.  He ditched the round badge which was reasonably popular (given how difficult this is). He had to deliver something really good to justify that and he has failed.

Â