Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

12 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Surprised how many wanted to keep the star. I wonder how much of the other 15% were like me and had no preference or actually wanted it dropped.

I want it to be dropped. Sorry, but I think its pretty small time to be celebrating / reminiscing about something that occurred two generations ago, in a competition that no longer exists and that we haven't a hope in halls chance of ever winning the current version of ever again. The current songs about Europe, mocking other clubs who have never won the thing and constant harking back to a bygone age just seems to always be pointing focus back to the past. As if we know there is no glory in the future. Look at the past winners of that comp and see where many of them are now.  Do we want to be Staua Bucharest or Malmo type club in the future or do we want to move on, deal with where we are now and push forward. I don't know, I guess I'm in the minority but I'd rather be celebrating things from either further back, like being a founding member of the football league, or thinking about the current team and what they could do. 

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Out of interest Nick, do you think 85% would be happy if a second star is added if the women’s team earn one?

To that specific question, the answer is No.  It would be materially less I would assume and for different reasons for different people.

• Thanks 1

Just now, nick76 said:

To that specific question, the answer is No.  It would be materially less I would assume and for different reasons for different people.

Thanks, so I wonder what would happen if they do win it. The women’s team wear a shirt with a badge on that has a star that the men’s team once earned. Stands to reason a second star should be worn by the men’s team if the women win one.

I would bet that wouldn’t prove to be the case though.

In my opinion the European win / star probably did mean  more even just a few years back, especially when Randy was in charge, so wanting to officially recognise the honour in some way made sense when so few British clubs had won the thing. Now though, as Chelsea and City have won the new shittier version of the competition, it does seem less relevant.

I don't mind the star personally, but as is likely with more English clubs dominating the competition with all the filthy money around, it does seem less relevant.

Think we should only bring out the star for the kits if we ever play in the Champions League but I don't see why we should have it on the badge when playing in a completely different competition. It actually feels a bit small time while we still obviously should be very proud of having won it.

We could add a star for our PL kits when we win our 10th league title. Don't want the start on the badge at all thou. Handle it like Bayern.

Why Bayern Munich only have four stars on their shirt despite six European  crowns and 30 Bundesliga titles | talkSPORT

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Not wanting to be stuck on the past is a genuine reason to not want the Star.

I don't necessarily agree but I think the idea it's in the past but we should instead talk more about 1874 instead of 1982 is a big contradictory

Not really.

1982 is a significant achievement ( Of which there is a possibility to replicate, and or add to )

1874 is LITERALLY the beginning of our history.

Big difference imo

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Thanks, so I wonder what would happen if they do win it. The women’s team wear a shirt with a badge on that has a star that the men’s team once earned. Stands to reason a second star should be worn by the men’s team if the women win one.

I would bet that wouldn’t prove to be the case though.

I bet that wouldn’t be the case either.

I think because currently the majority of the fan base are here to support the men’s first team and are only here because of them so if there was no women’s,  men’s second team, youth or legends the overwhelming majority of fans would still be here whereas if there were no men’s team first team then the majority of fans would disappear/lose interest.  

That may change because the women’s game is rapidly growing especially fan interest but the main product at Villa currently drawing in customers and revenue is the men’s first team game.  It doesn’t dilute how amazing if the women did achieve it.

I think the compromise is like what Germany do with the men’s kit with four stars above the badge and the women have two stars above their badge for their category World Cup wins.  As long as the star is right by the crest I’m happy, I think we need to keep the star by the crest….whether that is on or next to the crest I’m more open to the discussion.

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Think we should only bring out the star for the kits if we ever play in the Champions League but I don't see why we should have it on the badge when playing in a completely different competition.

I never get this argument as a reason.  I understand what you are saying, I just don’t get it.  It’s not like we are playing a different sport or doing a completely different activity, it’s still the pinnacle of our football for our club.  Every domestic competition gives you a chance to the European competitions of which the EuropeanCup/Champions League is the pinnacle which we’ve won, so while a different competition they are all very closely linked and intertwined.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I never get this argument as a reason.  I understand what you are saying, I just don’t get it.  It’s not like we are playing a different sport or doing a completely different activity, it’s still the pinnacle of our football for our club.  Every domestic competition gives you a chance to the European competitions of which the EuropeanCup/Champions League is the pinnacle which we’ve won, so while a different competition they are all very closely linked and intertwined.

Fair enough. I think the star should be left out of the badge for the reasons mentioned but I get your angle too.

• Like 1

" Keep the star " and  " overwhelmingly " Heritage " instead of a combination of yes, having a nod to our heritage, but being modern and progressive too...

Is what you get, when only season ticket holders are able to vote. Without any statistical data, I can almost guarantee that the majority of those are older fans, with either outdated and/or fixed views which incorporate no consideration of how modern media and presentation etc work. Or where future trends are going and/or will resonate with younger and future/global fans.

Anything which is too modern will be greeted with things like " No it  gives Pro Evo or MLS vibes " etc.

I really hope they don't screw this up due to the outlook of fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Fair enough. I think the star should be left out of the badge for the reasons mentioned but I get your angle too.

Might be asking the wrong person if you don't share the view (I CBA to scroll but I'm sure it's been shared) but some people ask "what if we win another".

My answer is nothing. Nothing happens. We keep one star. It's a symbol of the 82 victory, and any future ones. 

I'm not fussed either way, but a well incorporated start symbolises we achieved the very top. Something PSG or Spurs or Arsenal would die to achieve. 

That's my thoughts on it anyway! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Yeah we earned the star but it does not define us.  Star on the back of the shirt where we have had lions in the past is fine.

Easily added to when we win it again.

I cannot believe 85% wanted it in the badge 😫 

52% for a sheild seems odd when more than that voted for the round badge just last year!

I don't even remember a question about a shield or round? 

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Might be asking the wrong person if you don't share the view (I CBA to scroll but I'm sure it's been shared) but some people ask "what if we win another".

My answer is nothing. Nothing happens. We keep one star. It's a symbol of the 82 victory, and any future ones. 

I'm not fussed either way, but a well incorporated start symbolises we achieved the very top. Something PSG or Spurs or Arsenal would die to achieve. 

That's my thoughts on it anyway! 

Or we could change the badge to something like this

Preppy Hot Pink Lion Mascot with Star Eyes Large Chenille Iron-on Patch –  Scratch Decor

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" Keep the star " and  " overwhelmingly " Heritage " instead of a combination of yes, having a nod to our heritage, but being modern and progressive too...

Is what you get, when only season ticket holders are able to vote. Without any statistical data, I can almost guarantee that the majority of those are older fans, with either outdated and/or fixed views which incorporate no consideration of how modern media and presentation etc work. Or where future trends are going and/or will resonate with younger and future/global fans.

Anything which is too modern will be greeted with things like " No it  gives Pro Evo or MLS vibes " etc.

I really hope they don't screw this up due to the outlook of fans.

While I kind of understand your point, to completely ignore your client bases views is not a good idea.  The good thing about Villa is the harmony we have now especially when you look at the divide between fans and clubs at so many other clubs.  

Already a small void has happened for the type of thing you have suggested with the corporate hospitality in the Holte End.  If they do too many things which go against heartbeat of the club, the paying fans, then it doesn’t matter what you do for future fans, it’s a trip down the road of disaster and that relationship between fans and board/executives is never repaired and that then that trickles down to the rest of the club eventually….

• Like 1

Â