Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

15 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

According to this, and some others that have a different lion, our original one faced the same way as the new one, but only for a short time.  Since then, it has always been the other way. 

spacer.png

Oh wow, I’ve never seen the first 3 versions on the badge… most common versions of early badges are from this image 

Aston-Villa-Logo-History.jpg

19 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

According to this, and some others that have a different lion, our original one faced the same way as the new one, but only for a short time.  Since then, it has always been the other way. 

spacer.png

We could work with that shape from '57 but then we'd look like Everton. It's unavoidable.

I’m content with having the current lion on its own, in gold on the home shirt. Complimentary colour on away kits, unless white is our default away colour and then it’s the claret lion. 

in terms of all the lion designs we’ve had I still like them to exist. At least in our personal history, summarising each great/notable person in our club’s history. For example the first lion is the William McGregor lion, the 80s round badge lion is the Ron Saunders lion, etc etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

spacer.png

I wonder if our lion mainly (apart from 1878 and now) faces to the left because that’s the direction that baddies traditionally go in film and theatre… because we’re Villans? Just a thought… maybe I’m over thinking it, I have had a lot to drink this evening 😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Oh wow, I’ve never seen the first 3 versions on the badge… most common versions of early badges are from this image 

This is the "other" version lion I was talking about in my post. Its still facing the same way our current one does, but again, it's still only 2 years that it faced that way.  I discounted this one and went for the other one as this version has some glaring errors. 

But either way it does seem our original faced right for a very short time, and then never again. 

It's just not us really is it. Lion facing left please. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Flipping the lion was change for the sake of change so the owners and / or CEO could feel like they had a proper distinguishing change from the previous badges, that defines their new era. I’m sure it was also pushed by the designer as they too will wanted to put their name to something with significant design changes and not just a rehash of the 1980s badge. I understand it, but the flip side is that it shat on 150 years of history and nostalgia for all villa fans. I hope Heck does a flip reverse!

23 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’ve seen that image from Google search before but is it actually correct though? The “1970’s” one (before my time!) I thought was from the 90’s, unless it was used by the club much earlier and then resurrected later on? Surely someone on here would know that for sure? A Google search for Aston Villa kit 1970 shows we had a completely different badge on the kits at that time (the blue lion in isolation with AV), so if that one’s wrong then I don’t think this picture can be trusted with the two really early ones 

23 hours ago, MrBlack said:

spacer.png

If I’m thinking “all time definitive” Villa badge, then even a round badge obsessive like me thinks the 1957 shield shape is the one.  It is strong and distinctive.  Never mind Everton, who are they? Eh? Eh?

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

No thanks

Not an ideal design but the change up improves it over the current, bland one. Imo of course. Lion will never look right facing that way either…

The fact is, none of us are ever going to agree on anything 🤣

Up to the club to come out with a bold and impressive new design that we can actually stick with!

Just now, est1874 said:

It is really bland and boring though.

Fair enough, but better than what we have,

I think we’re going to end up with a standalone lion anyway,

Round badges are too common…

What would you like to see?

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Fair enough, but better than what we have,

I think we’re going to end up with a standalone lion anyway,

Round badges are too common…

What would you like to see?

At this point, yeah, a standalone lion. Not the new one though, it looks drunk.

I like the previous one you've used there, though I do think it's a bit unnecessarily busy too. Slightly streamlined version of that, embossed or stitched, would be nice.

Not totally related but friend going to UK and thinking of getting them to bring back last season Castore top. I think I prefer it to this season shirt look, sponsor and all. Would like new badge but overall prefer last seasons. Thoughts?

Edited by Kiwivillan

Â