Pau Torres

Delphinho123

At :35, chipped pass with the right weight for Kamara. Nah - that's so dangerous but comes off so good.

:42 - great double save by Emi, still plays it out to Bailey under pressure. How?!

1:08 - disguises it by facing his body to a pass down the line and plays a perfect weight to Digne

1:19 - on the bounce, first time right into the feet of McGinn

Love Ty and think he would be immense in certain matches, but Pau's passing from the back is outrageous. Not just the pass selection and accuracy but the weight of the pass as well. Perfect for the receiver to set up their turn without it being under or overhit.

Edited by DJBOB

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Love Ty and think he would be immense in certain matches, but Pau's passing from the back is outrageous.

No point in comparing them. If Ty were healthy, I think we'd see a lot of them together as CBs with Konsa at right back.

I also think that Unai knew that we needed another top-class CB in case someone got hurt. And someone got hurt.

As much as I like Diaby and Tielemans, right now Pau is the most important of our summer transfers.

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

At :35, chipped pass with the right weight for Kamara. Nah - that's so dangerous but comes off so good.

:42 - great double save by Emi, still plays it out to Bailey under pressure. How?!

1:08 - disguises it by facing his body to a pass down the line and plays a perfect weight to Digne

Love Ty and think he would be immense in certain matches, but Pau's passing from the back is outrageous. Not just the pass selection and accuracy but the weight of the pass as well. Perfect for the receiver to set up their turn without it being under or overhit.

The pass on 1:19 was my favourite. First time ball with such pace and accuracy that it drew a panicked yellow card tackle from Stones. 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The pass on 1:19 was my favourite. First time ball with such pace and accuracy that it drew a panicked yellow card tackle from Stones. 

Couldn't agree more,I was shitting bricks but his calmness on the ball is something else

14 hours ago, allani said:

Really unlucky yesterday with his shot.  I can't remember the last time we had a defender who received the ball in the opposition penalty area, took time to have a look at all the available options and then almost curled one into the top corner.  I mean he was probably 10 cms away from the perfect finish in terms of getting it just out of the GK's reach and inside the far post.  And then a few minutes later he made a good challenge in our box and rather than just hammering the ball clear he knew that he was in front of the Man City attackers and so could run the ball out of defence and then play a great ball into one of the midfielders who had used those 3 or 4 seconds to make space for themselves.  So calm and cool.

Agree with all of this but also in the second half at full speed smashed one of the Man City players with a perfectly timed challenge showing he can do the classy defending by default but when he needs it he does have the power and strength to mix it 

• Like 1

There's been a lot of hype around his on the ball ability for a few years, and he's so much better than all the hype. Probably one of the signings of the season for that price.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

With his passing and reading of the game Id say that one tactic if Kamara is out again is to push him into the DM role and play Konsa and Carlos with Cash at RB. We have a great deep lying passer who's reading is great who can, should a full back go forward, slot into the back to form a 3 with ease.

As the season goes on he's looking more and more a steal at £31.5m

On 06/12/2023 at 14:11, thunderball said:

I have a sense we have regressed defensively this term at the expense of our offensive game. However it is working out given where we are in the table. We have a new psychology of defending as a team and attacking as a team, we no longer just have a defence who defend, we need to get used to that. On balance the gains outweigh the losses and that will provide plenty of ammo for haters, but as has been pointed out, if Pau defended to the same standard as his progressive side, we couldn't afford him.

I'm not so sure, after watching a defensive master class against city....The back 3 was impeccable.

All the things I have been sceptical about, they proved they can do it.....The combativeness, intensity and urgency, I have doubted.................was there.

Mings is a huge miss, but Carlos's strength, not to mention his ball skill, was immense.

I think this team still have more improvement in it....its scary.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2023 at 16:10, lexicon said:

I have a few points to address/answer your question:

1) We're definitely not easy to score against at home. We've conceded the 2nd fewest goals at home. 

2) Away games are tougher than ever before in league history given the relative standard of team we play against.

3) Our style of play is to win games, so we attack a lot and that will leave us open at times where we will concede. 

4) The Newcastle game was a freak result and the 5 goals we conceded skews our numbers.

I know it's normal for us to have obvious problems, because, well, it's Villa, but we're not in that position right now IMO. We're doing fantastically well this season. I would look to find an upgrade on Cash as a priority, but beyond that, our defence (and the rest of the team) is fine IMO. 

Well, Your comments are borne out by that Majestic clean sheet, on wednesday night.

I agree the first games numbers have skewed the overall figures....but I still think we can, tighten up, conceding these odd goals, even when we win.....we have proved on Wednesday night we can do it, against the best in the League.

I was staggered, at the display of keeping such a good team contained.....That was top Drawer. They was nullified and negated by a game opponent, bursting with talent and skill.

Much of my scepticism was reduced to dust, after that display, this team truly is "special"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, Your comments are borne out by that Majestic clean sheet, on wednesday night.

I agree the first games nunbers have skewed the overall figures....but I still think we can, tighten up, conceding these odd goals, even when we win.....we have proved on Wednesday night we can do it, against the best in the League.

I was staggered, at the display of keeping such a good team contained.....That was top Drawer. They was nullified and negated by a game opponent, bursting with talent and skill.

Much of my scepticism was reduced to dust, after that display, this team truly is "special"

We're 3rd and cruising, seems odd and frankly a little ungrateful to nitpick at this juncture 😂

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We're 3rd and cruising, seems odd and frankly a little ungrateful to nitpick at this juncture 😂

I'm not nit picking, its constructive observation whats odd about that? the manager has probably done it himself at B6....and I am not going to wait until we lose to make the points, that too would be deemed as opportunist.

I have witnessed the goals against Bournemouth, Forest and Wolves....and I thought they was avoidable as was some of the ones at home, during our wins.....I make my judgment on what I see in those games, not the league table....we can improve on those errors, even the manager has endorsed that....and on Wednesday night we proved, we can do it.....A clean Sheet against the treble winners, is a clear endorsement, this team, can deliver, clean sheets, against the best.

We are 3rd and our Attacking work has largely been the main feature of it, but while some folk link us with Title Contenders, the sceptics cite our away record, which is not so emphatic in respect of goals against....It depends what we all want, I just want to see us improve, to see how far we can go, and the most likely source, is goals against, away from home...tighten that up and the sky is the limit.

but don't drag me in to explaining all this, (when it can come across as negative to recipients, who want that interpretation) when I want to rejoice like you, at that great display....and a great defensive display to boot.

I do take your point, its not a good juncture to discuss it, for some.....but my point is, when is, when we are flying high.

PS another clean sheet on Saturday, will have us in a great position, in the game.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I'm not nit picking, its constructive observation whats odd about that? the manager has probably done it himself at B6....and I am not going to wait until we lose to make the points, that too would be deemed as opportunist.

I have witnessed the goals against Bournemouth, Forest and Wolves....and I thought they was avoidable as was some of the ones at home, during our wins.....I make my judgment on what I see in those games, not the league table....we can improve on those errors, even the manager has endorsed that....and on Wednesday night we proved, we can do it.....A clean Sheet against the treble winners, is a clear endorsement, this team, can deliver, clean sheets, against the best.

We are 3rd and our Attacking work has largely been the main feature of it, but while some folk link us with Title Contenders, the sceptics cite our away record, which is not so emphatic in respect of goals against....It depends what we all want, I just want to see us improve, to see how far we can go, and the most likely source, is goals against, away from home...tighten that up and the sky is the limit.

but don't drag me in to explaining all this, (when it can come across as negative to recipients, who want that interpretation) when I want to rejoice like you, at that great display....and a great defensive display to boot.

I do take your point, its not a good juncture to discuss it, for some.....but my point is, when is, when we are flying high.

PS another clean sheet on Saturday, will have us in a great position, in the game.

The use of emoji was to show that there was a degree of tongue-in-cheek to my post tbf. 

Anyway, what I would say to that is that I don't think there are systemic problems, nor problems beyond individual lapses that really lead us to conceding. I don't think it requires signing more players, basically. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The use of emoji was to show that there was a degree of tongue-in-cheek to my post tbf. 

Anyway, what I would say to that is that I don't think there are systemic problems, nor problems beyond individual lapses that really lead us to conceding. I don't think it requires signing more players, basically. 

I agree, after seeing that on wednesday.

sorry for misjudging your humour.

19 hours ago, DJBOB said:

His composure is so impressive too....calm as a field of Snow.

Â