Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

46 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

...and Spurs still need to draw against City.

Will they do that? Defending like this? City going for the title?

No. No they won't.

I’ve watched City a lot lately. It’s not the City that dropped so many points in December. They are injury free and all look fresh. Spurs on the other hand look lost with players kicking off with each other too. 

Unless it’s one of those freak days where city miss chance after chance and Spurs nick a goal I’m expecting City to smash them. 

• Like 2

In a way we are being greedy.

I mean we are 7 points clear! We'd have taken being clear on goal difference at the start of the season.

We have such a great chance- would have been nice to wrap it up yesterday but we still are very likely to do the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

City will still need to win that game just as much as Spurzzz do, as Arsenal are still in the hunt for the title.

We really need Arse to beat Manure to really put pressure on City. Then I think they’ll hammer them. Even a draw will do with their goal difference. Hopefully Arse keeps the foot down and doesn’t have a game where they’re off.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

I thought Martinez was close and Tielemans was a couple of weeks...

Tielemans was rumoured as a possible for Olympiacos away so a good chance for Liverpool.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I mean we are 7 points clear! We'd have taken being clear on goal difference at the start of the season.

We have such a great chance- would have been nice to wrap it up yesterday but we still are very likely to do the job.

We’d have taken being clear on goal difference at this point when we lost to Spurs in mid March.

• Like 2

If it is all down to the last day, it could be karma biting our arse following our joy at seeing small heath not get what they want....

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve watched City a lot lately. It’s not the City that dropped so many points in December. They are injury free and all look fresh. Spurs on the other hand look lost with players kicking off with each other too. 

Unless it’s one of those freak days where city miss chance after chance and Spurs nick a goal I’m expecting City to smash them. 

I think what matters is Arsenal need to be ahead of them. That City need to win that game to take it to final day. If Arsenal drop points to United it's a different story. It's not all or bust on Spurs

20 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

We really don't. 😀

It wouldn't be bad if they won that and were ahead of City for the Spurs game. 

2 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I really wish we hadn't conceded those two 90 minute goals at home to Spurs, that 4 goal swing would have meant Spurs definitely needing to win all 3.

Exactly, but more recently the two goals Liverpool let slip had similar impact. 

Let's hope Burnley have fight in them. They know a win puts safety in their hands of Chelsea keep winning and do Forest 

Could be a situation where Palace are literally playing for nothing not even league position when we play them. 

If Spurs win by only one goal against Burnley and we draw or lose by only one goal to Liverpool. Spurs will need to beat City 

So many permutations. I'm just backing Spurs for 4th to do the emotional hedge and leaving it at that. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Think it will be similar to the Arsenal game. They'll just pick off Spurs on the counter and expose them at set pieces with their height (see how they won the FA cup game in Jan).

If they're 3-0 up aswell they won't let Spurs back in like Arsenal did either.

I'm very relaxed still even if we're making life a bit harder with the last two league games. Spurs chance to really put the pressure on us was Newcastle and Chelsea away and they failed miserably in both.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Great post and it's what people are missing on here. Three weeks ago everything was level and they had a chance to go three clear of us with a game in hand. Blew it at Newcastle and we were brilliant at Arsenal the next day.

That was the weekend we secured 4th imo although still got to dig one more result out.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It wouldn't be bad if they won that and were ahead of City for the Spurs game. 

"Wouldn't be bad" is not exactly "really need" though is it?

Like 1.06 are about the odds you can get on Burnley beating Spurs by more than 2 goals next weekend. Or the odds you see on Liverpool winning when 3-0 up at halftime in Anfield to us. 

It's only not in the bag because we support Villa and have the fear of this possibly happening. We saw 2-0 lead slip to 2-3 in 9 mins at home to Brentford. 

They can happen. These things in football 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Can we please not panic on Saturday night if spurs beat Burnley?

Thank you.

I think Spurs winning would only change the odds in a minor way. Spurs winning by only one goal is a good result. Means a one goal defeat to Liverpool for us means Spurs need to beat City really 

• Like 2