Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Until I can look at that table and it's mathematically impossible that Spurs can go above us, it ain't done.

Yeah agreed we only need to look at the coefficient to see things that are probable to happen don't always happen.

We should get CL but it ain't over until the fat lady sings!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Strong favourites, but I hate seeing comments saying "it's done"! Always feel it could come back to bite you in the ar3e.

Earlier this season...

Burnley 2-5 Spurs. 

Spurs 2-1 Sheff Utd.

Man City 3-3 Spurs.

So they are still easily capable of getting 7 points, from the return fixtures poor form or not. 

We lost to Liverpool 3-0 (albeit at Anfield) and beat Palace, but we were 1-0 down till the 87th minute and 1-1 until 90+8 or something daft, so both tough fixtures given our current form/fatigue/injuries etc.

Although GD is in our favour, Burnley are -35 and Sheff U are -65, this is why some are worried it could be clawed back.

Also, before city's fa cup win, Spurs had beaten City the last 5 times at home with City not scoring, so again, not beyond the realms of possibility that it could happen again.

Look, I'm very hopeful, and would not swap our position with theirs (I'll be lumping some money on Spurs just to do my bit - always lose 😅) just wish we had done the business today 🙃

UTV 

Would take those results no problem. Would mean we'd have to lose our last two by five goals to finish below them on GD.

I forget how tight their home game was v Sheffield United in September so don't think it's a given they just rock up to Bramall Lane and win by 5 or 6 personally.

Can’t understand how people are being so dismissive of Spurs getting a result against City.

If they beat Burnley, which they will and we lose to Liverpool the night before they face City, it will be their cup final. Win and they’ll only be one point behind us going into the last game.

Their home record against City is excellent so even a draw could possibly leave them with an opportunity to pump the worst defence ever to grace the PL. 

Its clear to see our team is gassed and the injuries have caught up with us, we can only hope the Gods are with us.

• Like 1

I said in mid February that I was quietly confident of 4th and it’s just about played out that way. Spurs run of games from Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City would be their undoing. I can’t see them beating Man City, not with the title on the line.

The best they can do is 7 pts, 2 wins and draw against Man City. We just need a point and it should be done.

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Are we really ruling out Manure finishing above Spurs in 5th?

Newcastle or Chelsea more likely than United IMO if Spurs don’t pick up any more points. 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

What price Jack Grealish to finally fulfil his destiny and score the goal that puts Villa into the Champions league?

I’ve got a real feeling about this.

It looks like we might actually stumble and trip our way into the Champions League.

Based on run-in form, we'll either go down in history as the luckiest team to ever qualify for CL; or, based on early season form, the unluckiest team to ever end up in the Europa League instead.  

Not many can say that.

Sums up Aston Villa.

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What price Jack Grealish to finally fulfil his destiny and score the goal that puts Villa into the Champions league?

That is poetry

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Newcastle or Chelsea more likely than United IMO if Spurs don’t pick up any more points. 

If Manure beat Palace they'll be on 57 above the other 2 with all having 3 games left

Burnley have to win or else they are relegated so assume they will go all out so draw very unlikely scenario. That could be bad as spurs get a lead could run up a score. Still can’t see them getting anything against Man City but the wait might go on a few days later for champs league confirmation 

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Based on run-in form, we'll either go down in history as the luckiest team to ever qualify for CL

Have you seen Spurs run in form?

• Like 1

Burnley could still escape relegation. Forest play Chelsea and could well lose that. Burnley then play Forest last game of the season. I don't think that a Spurs victory v Burnely is a nailed on certainty?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Unless Liverpool spank us. 

They will probably have nothing to play for if either of City or Arsenal win their games beforehand.

Man City draw with spurs would leave them 6 goals behind arsenal with two games to go. While they could easily pull that back, not sure they would like that scenario so say it will be win or bust in that game for them

29 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Any news on the Yuri, Rogers or Martinez injuries?  We could do with them for the Liverpool game...

Rogers looked like a hamstring. Dependent on how severe, season could be done for him unfortunately