Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

And need a 9 goal swing. It isn’t going to happen

I think it’s because they have Sheffield United and Burnley, they could both be big victories. Draw with City.

We could lose badly against Liverpool and lose 1-0 to Palace.

It’s unlikely but I understand the worry.

We’ll finish fourth.

• Like 1

We clearly should get the CL, the most likely scenario is we will but with City’s league record away at Spurs it still isn’t quite there. Expect City will win but Spurs always look like scoring (and conceding!) so you just never know!

8 minutes ago, paul514 said:

It’s done

I mean I agree, they’ve lost four straight games so there’s no guarantee they even beat Burnley, but mathematically it’s not sewn up.

Im confident though - I just wish we had got it done today so we could go all-out on Thursday.

• Like 1

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I think it’s because they have Sheffield United and Burnley, they could both be big victories. Draw with City.

We’ll finish fourth.

This is exactly where I am. Think we are good, and Spurs are done, but also totally understand how quickly it could switch and we could need something vs Palace.

• Like 4

Thank **** we have points on the board already as I'm not convinced we will win another game this season.The players look knackered and we have no options from the bench.  If we were in spurs's position there would be zero chance of us getting 4th 

Be serious folks, Spurs will get a mighty drubbing against City and that is season over for them and CL for us ..... we don't need any more points and we probably won't get any more but the Liverpool game could be a nice way to make sure and make CL at Villa Park !!!

1 minute ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

It wouldn’t be that enormous. For it to come down to goal difference, we’d have to lose two games and spurs win two and draw one. If they put four or five past Sheffield United, they will probably beat our goal difference. Liverpool leaking those goals is annoying. 

Exactly I outlined above, let's say there's a 4 goal swing next weekend, we lose 2-0 and they win 2-0 or we lose 1-0 and they win 3-0.

Then we're down to a 5 goal lead and they play Sheffield who are done and gone and concede lots of goals. We lose 1-0 and Spurs win 4-0 and they have it on goals scored 

Those 2 extra goals today matter. 

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

We’ll finish fourth.

It’ll be done before the final day, imo. Everyone needs to relax

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They'll just finish above us on points if that happens.

If Spurs win their last three then we would very likely have to win one of our last two, basically Palace away.

This was in a conversation about what happens if Spurs draw with Burnley

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Exactly I outlined above, let's say there's a 4 goal swing next weekend, we lose 2-0 and they win 2-0 or we lose 1-0 and they win 3-0.

Then we're down to a 5 goal lead and they play Sheffield who are done and gone and concede lots of goals. We lose 1-0 and Spurs win 4-0 and they have it on goals scored 

Those 2 extra goals today matter. 

Well yes, if we lose all of our games by loads of goals and spurs win all their games by loads of goals then we’re ****. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Well yes, if we lose all of our games by loads of goals and spurs win all their games by loads of goals then we’re ****. 

It doesn’t have to be loads — they could beat Burnley and Sheffield 3-0 each, draw with City, and watch us lose 3-0 to Liverpool and 1-0 against Palace.

Just now, jayEm said:

It doesn’t have to be loads — they could beat Burnley and Sheffield 3-0 each, draw with City, and watch us lose 3-0 to Liverpool and 1-0 against Palace.

You’re saying that like it’s remotely likely 😂

Posted (edited)

For me, this weeks results have brought the season to an end.

We will finish 4th and we reached a semi final. Thats how it will end.

We don't meed another point.

The players are knackered and we won't reach the final. Not 2 down.

But 4th and a semi final.

What a season!

Edited by GlobalVillan

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Spurs still 16/1, so it’s obviously wildly in our favour. But it isn’t done. 

Grealish winner for City vs Spurs please ;)

As I said earlier, it’s FAR more likely than it was yesterday after today’s results. 

People are acting like the results today made it closer. 

It didn’t. Every game that passes without Spurs getting closer puts it more in our favour. 

As shit as our game was today, today‘S results made it MORE likely that we’ll get top 4. Not less

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It’ll be done before the final day, imo. Everyone needs to relax

I agree, I think it will be over following the Spurs - City game. 

People should relax a little more. They won’t.

I’d love to know what this place would be like if both Villa and Spurs had won today. How fraught people would have been seeing Spurs drag us back to just a 7 point lead.

Just now, TheMightyVillans said:

Would love to see a poll with spurs fans if they would rather beat city with a chance of getting champs league or lose and prevent arsenal winning title.

From my research the majority prefer losing to ensure Arsenal don’t win. I know Spurs fans who are convinced the seasons over and hope that Ange plays U21s against Man City, lol.

8 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Be serious folks, Spurs will get a mighty drubbing against City and that is season over for them and CL for us ..... we don't need any more points and we probably won't get any more but the Liverpool game could be a nice way to make sure and make CL at Villa Park !!!

Havent spuds got a decent recent record v city?