Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

48 minutes ago, thabucks said:

There’s a world where West Ham beat Plop we win against Chelsea then beat Liverpool and we’d only be 2 points behind them with two games to go… 

Liverpool have Spurs first and we have Brighton before we play them, we could take 3rd if we beat Liverpool and they don't beat Spurs ( we would have to beat Chelsea and Brighton first though) 

• Like 1

On 14/04/2024 at 15:52, YLN said:

Fulham next away for them. Fulham playing well and beating West Ham today. Loss

Everton away, derby match and Everton fighting for their lives. Loss

West Ham away, have lost one game at home since September. Draw 

Home to Spurs, Draw

Away to Villa. Villa win

Home to Wolves. Dunno. Loss. Why not? They just lost at home to Palace.

73 points total for them. Villa need 11 points from the other 15 available to finish 3rd. We can even afford to lose today. It's in the bag

Ok to reassess.

Lost to Everton was right, but won vs Fulham. Today losing to West Ham. Then lose to Spurs and Villa. 74 points with 1 game to play.

Villa beat Chelsea, Brighton. And we're a point ahead with one game to go against Palace.

The cat is in the bag

59 minutes ago, thabucks said:

There’s a world where West Ham beat Plop we win against Chelsea then beat Liverpool and we’d only be 2 points behind them with two games to go… 

8d2d78c83788808a23094c2137414136.jpg

We were never making 8 points in 4 games. Liverpool have had 23 shots today. 72% possession. They’re a very dangerous attacking goal scoring team despite recent blips. 

12 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We were never making 8 points in 4 games. Liverpool have had 23 shots today. 72% possession. They’re a very dangerous attacking goal scoring team despite recent blips. 

They look like a team that will concede goals though.  Also they are in danger of losing everything they had to play for.  Playing at Anfield will be a different experience but away from home if you get on top of them I'm not sure how much "fight" they will have.  I don't think we'll finish above / close to them - but I'm glad we are playing them at VP and Spurs have them at Anfield.

Liverpool,  what a mess, klopp kicking off with the substitutes before they came on, Salah lost it with him. Bit of a car crash end to his lpool career. 

• Like 1

Personally think Liverpool had overachieved this season with the team they have. Expected them to finish around 3rd and looks like that will happen. To win a league with a new midfield is a long shot.

They still create a lot of chances every game so hopefully they can take some of them against Spurs.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, tinker said:

Liverpool,  what a mess, klopp kicking off with the substitutes before they came on, Salah lost it with him. Bit of a car crash end to his lpool career. 

Get our set pieces right on the day and we'll beat them.

Way to look at things now.

Spurs got two games in hand. Let's just give them two wins v Burnley and Sheffield United. If that's not by a combined 5 goals they're still below us.

To finish above us they'd then have to do a point better than us in these four fixtures: Arsenal and Man. City at home, Chelsea and Liverpool away.

That's a very tough ask for me. If people are saying they can beat Chelsea and Liverpool then why can't we seeing as we're playing both at home.

We also have Brighton who just want the season to end now and we do very well against them even when they're in form as we saw in the September match.

We'd really have to throw away 4th now. We were vulnerable after the Man. City and Brentford games and Spurs completely messed up the chance to put us under even more pressure by losing heavily at Newcastle.

Since then we've played with far more confidence in the prem games so it's really hard to see us suddenly choking. Also don't think Olympiakos will be as taxing as the Lille games were and we also have extra recovery from the second leg so to me it's all looking pretty good.

• Like 1

Just now, villan95 said:

Can't trust Liverpool to beat Spurs. Still think we need another 6 points.

Again Chelsea and Liverpool just going to hand the game to Spurs...but play lights out v us. We've got both at VP, Spurs have to play them infront of their home fans where it's different expectations and teams find extra 10% if they're starting to get on their backs.

All we have to do is match Spurs results v them and then get 4 points off Brighton-Palace and then Spurs would have to do the same v Arsenal and Man. City which is a tough ask.

55 minutes ago, allani said:

They look like a team that will concede goals though.  Also they are in danger of losing everything they had to play for.  Playing at Anfield will be a different experience but away from home if you get on top of them I'm not sure how much "fight" they will have.  I don't think we'll finish above / close to them - but I'm glad we are playing them at VP and Spurs have them at Anfield.

We will beat Liverpool and we will finish 4th.

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Again Chelsea and Liverpool just going to hand the game to Spurs...but play lights out v us. We've got both at VP, Spurs have to play them infront of their home fans where it's different expectations and teams find extra 10% if they're starting to get on their backs.

All we have to do is match Spurs results v them and then get 4 points off Brighton-Palace and then Spurs would have to do the same v Arsenal and Man. City which is a tough ask.

Oh obviously we are capable of beating both but I think the matches v Liverpool and Chelsea could go either way for both teams.

Edited by villan95

26 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Oh obviously we are capable of beating both but I think the matches v Liverpool and Chelsea could go either way for both teams.

Home v away advantage means nothing though? Spurs have only actually beaten us on the road since December so they're actually in their worst away run of the season.