Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Spurs have got very tough remaining fixtures and am I right in saying they will have to play them in a very short space of time as they keep having to rearrange games due to cups?

How unfortunate for them. 

They play Chelsea and Liverpool away in less than 72 hours so can't see them doing much at Anfield.

Chelsea is a must win now for sure for them.

so happy with the result today! I didn't think we had a chance, out of form and having two days less rest than them.

BANG and we are back in pole position for 4th again!

• Like 1

We have such a huge opportunity the next 13 days.

European Semi Final and 9 Points clear in 4th place awaits..with our only competition needing to win their 3 games in hand to just equal us: Vs Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool...

We have to take the chance

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mantis said:

If Arsenal and City win this week, where does that leave us coefficient-wise? Because while 4th is far from sorted, 5th all but is now.

If Bayern knock Arsenal out, that's pretty big. Leverkusen are already big favourites to win Europa, so Germany will be in a great place.

The sooner I can go back to wanting every English side but Villa to lose all the time, the better.

4th and no UCL for 5th is 100% the best outcome for us.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

It was also really telling how well our squad players performed today- like Zani and Rogers in particular.  They played really well against a top side in a hostile environment.  Very happy to see given our suspensions and injury issues at the end of the season.

It was also great to see Lenglet and Cash make the bench.  Makes me think they will be available for the 1st11 on Thursday for some much needed rotation- let Cash play RB and Konsa back to CB, etc.  Just an  amazing win by Villa today!  UTV

Very good day overall, as you say great to see some options bsck on the bench too!  Rogers best game for us and he played a lot more minutes 

Another good thing about yesterday's result is that it takes the pressure off the Bournemouth game somewhat. If we want to finish top 4 it's still vitally important to win it of course but psychologically it just doesn't have that same air of desperate importance now. A draw isn't the end of the world (although still costly). I mean, we'd have all taken 4 points from those two fixtures this time 12 hours ago.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3

Just now, Mantis said:

Another good thing about yesterday's result is that it takes the pressure off the Bournemouth game somewhat. If we want to finish top 4 it's still vitally important to win it of course but psychologically it just doesn't have that same air of desperate importance now. A draw isn't the end of the world (although still costly). I mean, we'd have all taken 4 points from those two fixtures this time 12 hours ago.

I still actually think Bournemouth is still a must win. It depends what happens at Lille I think. Another good performance and result to get through and we'll be buzzing going into the Bournemouth game. Elimination and it will be a flattish atmosphere so we might start slow and that's risky how Bournemouth can press and attack with pace.

Game where the narrative has changed is Chelsea at home I'd say. If we beat Bournemouth we can sit back a bit in that one, wait for them to come at us, hopefully defend better than we did in the cup and then hit them on the counter.

As said over the other page we have a chance to build a 9 point lead and big GD advantage on Spurs before they next play so let's continue to be ruthless and give them little chance to get that back even if they will have loads of games in hand.

Also if we beat Chelsea they'll be way out of contention for anything so Poch really can't afford to lose to Spurs at home otherwise he probably won't even make the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Wow what an away day that was. Our group all said we had a feeling something special was about to happen today and didn’t it just. To pull that out the bag given what happened last week. We’ve been conceding goals left right and centre and we looked so assured today. 5th is sewn up. Bournemouth have lots of injuries so we need to win that and keep the momentum going. I don’t fancy Arsenal against Bayern after what I saw today. Much like Liverpool they are crumbling when it matters. 

Btw @Stevo985 we continue our record of only ever going 2 games without a win. Not expected at all. 

I'm jealous you got to experience that today, but you all were loud and did us proud.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I still actually think Bournemouth is still a must win. It depends what happens at Lille I think. Another good performance and result to get through and we'll be buzzing going into the Bournemouth game. Elimination and it will be a flattish atmosphere so we might start slow and that's risky how Bournemouth can press and attack with pace.

Game where the narrative has changed is Chelsea at home I'd say. If we beat Bournemouth we can sit back a bit in that one, wait for them to come at us, hopefully defend better than we did in the cup and then hit them on the counter.

As said over the other page we have a chance to build a 9 point lead and big GD advantage on Spurs before they next play so let's continue to be ruthless and give them little chance to get that back even if they will have loads of games in hand.

Also if we beat Chelsea they'll be way out of contention for anything so Poch really can't afford to lose to Spurs at home otherwise he probably won't even make the end of the season.

Of course it's a must-win but it's a "lower level" of must-win than it otherwise would've been had we lost. But yeah I agree the midweek fixtures will determine a lot. If results go our way with the coefficient and we see off Lille then Sunday could be very comfortable indeed.

Our away record in London is insane aswell (pretty much since Emery came in). Only West Ham we haven't beaten this season. Just need to avoid defeat at Palace and we'd be unbeaten inside the M25 all season so no idea when that last happened, probably decades ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Of course it's a must-win but it's a "lower level" of must-win than it otherwise would've been had we lost. But yeah I agree the midweek fixtures will determine a lot. If results go our way with the coefficient and we see off Lille then Sunday could be very comfortable indeed.

I think Liverpool have to take a real look at themselves and consider the Atalanta away to be their season. They have players back healthy, and yet they have been dogshit at home for 2 fixtures in 4 days. They are 90 minutes from "Jurgen's Last Ride" being a Milk Cup and that's it. They somehow pull off advancing and we do also, then you start the same lineup you did today and Bournemouth are roadkill and it's a lot more comfortable.

If we get knocked out? Screw it, let's go firm up 4th and the VP crowd should be on their feet early to praise the team that housed Arsenal the week before.

1 minute ago, 479Villan said:

I think Liverpool have to take a real look at themselves and consider the Atalanta away to be their season. They have players back healthy, and yet they have been dogshit at home for 2 fixtures in 4 days. They are 90 minutes from "Jurgen's Last Ride" being a Milk Cup and that's it. They somehow pull off advancing and we do also, then you start the same lineup you did today and Bournemouth are roadkill and it's a lot more comfortable.

If we get knocked out? Screw it, let's go firm up 4th and the VP crowd should be on their feet early to praise the team that housed Arsenal the week before.

I might be wrong but if Arsenal, City and Atletico advance then regardless of what happens on Thursday, 5th spot CL is all but certain.

Edited by Mantis

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I might be wrong but if Arsenal, City and Atletico advance then regardless of what happens on Thursday, 5th spot CL is all but certain.

I don't know all the permutations, but I'm not convinced about Arsenal at all for the same reasons I cited for Liverpool. We bossed them in the second half, but not beating Bayern when they had the whole stadium full of Gooners is an embarrassment. The worst Bayern side in a decade and Arsenal were technically naive on both sides until the 70th minute.

I think City is through, and I'll trust Diego with a 1 goal lead 11 times out of 10.