Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Or trust in Emery whatever way he decides to go in each match.  Yes, he might get things wrong sometimes but overwhelmingly he gets things right and has a track record that stands up to even the best.

He’s not infallible. He’s said the same himself. It’s extremely dangerous to even suggest that any manager is beyond critique or question.

22 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

United are shit and won’t finish 5th

If Utd fail to win at Bournemouth the. Newcastle will be a bigger threat than them.

I’m overreacting, it’s just Luiz yellow card killed tomorrow’s game, and made Bournemouth really tough one. After Bournemouth it’s going to be really tricky.

It’s not only wether they’ll catch or no, it’s the pressure they’ll put. 
Assuming the worse and we lose next two or draw with Bournemouth. While Newcastle having 6 to play, if they win it will be 8-9  points. 
amA win for Palace against them will make things easier. Same goes with Utd not winning today. 
Without Kamara we can’t be sure about a result and you know even 2-0 can change at anytime.

33 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

He’s not infallible. He’s said the same himself. It’s extremely dangerous to even suggest that any manager is beyond critique or question.

Did I say he’s not infallible, in fact I actually commented he might get things wrong but overwhelmingly gets things right.  I just said I trust what he chooses to do, that doesn’t mean I think he’s infallible.

• Like 1

I think with City going back top Arsenal could start to panic now, and it puts far more pressure on them to get a result against us tomorrow. IMO that could leave them forcing the game rather than playing their natural game, leaving themselves open to the counter. Arteta will now be wondering whether to stick or twist now with Bayern on Weds giving them no time to really recover. We've got a decent record at the Emirates too, not brilliant but not bad either, it's definitely a place we can win or grind a result at. We need to go all out tomorrow and look to get something from the game. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

I think on balance now he called the Spurs game wrong. Of course we were coming off the back of a Europa game but went very defensive first half whereas likes of Fulham and Newcastle attacked Spurs from the off and both won very comfortably in the end.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think on balance now he called the Spurs game wrong. Of course we were coming off the back of a Europa game but went very defensive first half whereas likes of Fulham and Newcastle attacked Spurs from the off and both won very comfortably in the end.

Agreed one of the few mistakes. 

Spurs start slow, we let them settle and then they hit us at their strongest after half time and we were so leggy and fatigued. After the first there was no coming back for us.

Not sure how we approach tomorrow. Again feel we will be leggy in the second half but against Arsenal we might be better to sit in. But then we need to be wary of set pieces where they're highly likely to score from. 

• Like 1

Just now, DakotaVilla said:

And also maybe he called the man city away game wrong as well after what happened v Brentford. 

Clearly Unai knows far more than all of us but we’re all always learning. 

Don't have an issue with that one as playing that at full pelt and it would've still been hard to come away with anything. And we might have lost the Brentford game as a result of lack of energy given how that panned out.

Just now, VillaAlex said:

Agreed one of the few mistakes. 

Spurs start slow, we let them settle and then they hit us at their strongest after half time and we were so leggy and fatigued. After the first there was no coming back for us.

Not sure how we approach tomorrow. Again feel we will be leggy in the second half but against Arsenal we might be better to sit in. But then we need to be wary of set pieces where they're highly likely to score from. 

Feels like a game where we might've gone back 5 but that would need Cash and Lenglet fit.

Anything would be amazing tomorrow but ultimately a narrow defeat and we're still 4th and that's a better position than what we entered the weekend in so that's the perspective needed at half 6 although I imagine the usual suspects on here won't quite grasp it.

Some favour from Newcastle today that. Don't expect us to get anything from Arsenal so knowing we're going to end the weekend on the same points as Spurs at least is very welcome. 

Big test for us now. Horror fixture week for Spurs at the end of the month, if we aren't in a position to capitalise then fair enough we don't deserve 4th.  

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

We may have lost to Brentford if we hadn't rested player at man City....

Yep or lost against Lille, just look how the other teams got on in Europe.  That extra rest from the City game might have been a difference maker.

What if United win every game after even if they lose to Bournemouth though 😬

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1