Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Typical - the first time in erm(checks memory)....ever, that I've wanted other English teams to do well in Europe none of the arseholes win.

Hopeless the lot of em.

#Kloppout

Good, this is what the scum 6 wanted all along. Plebs from the league cheering them on like some 2nd team as they do us a favour

Has been a bit disgusting Villa fans cheering on Liverpool, City and Arsenal while our big win comes across as an irrelevance

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Nothing we can do now if Arsenal lose. It's over then unless Leverkusen **** up

No it’s not, if City and us go through and win each competition which we are both favourites it doesn’t matter what Leverkusen do even if they win Europa, we still end up getting the 2nd CL spot.  Leverkusen need Dortmund to overcome A.Madrid to have the upper hand.

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we don’t make Champions League it will obviously be disappointing after coming so close but it is what it is.  We’ll just have to win the Europa next season instead.

I’m calm about it, there are still so many twists and turns left in the league and Europe that I can’t get worked up about it.

I mean in this kind of season, next week could be anything.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Oh yeah 100%. We never really had a squad to compete for top 4 and win a European cup when everyone was fit. The fact we are still doing it with so many key players out and others having to play every minute is amazing. 

It’s why I said I don’t think we will see many good performances from now until the end of the season. It’s all about grinding results out now.

If we had Buendia, Ramsay, Kamara and Mings for most of the season things would be quite different. With everyone fit, it's a strong squad. From now until the end of the season is going to be a test of endurance.

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Good, this is what the scum 6 wanted all along. Plebs from the league cheering them on like some 2nd team as they do us a favour

Has been a bit disgusting Villa fans cheering on Liverpool, City and Arsenal while our big win comes across as an irrelevance

Would never cheer on that scum, even if it meant we didn't get CL.

Horrid fan base. Always the victims. 

But back in topic. We should be aiming for 4th and it is still all to play for. If we fall short at the end, so be it.

Plenty more twists and turns to come.

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we don’t make Champions League it will obviously be disappointing after coming so close but it is what it is.  We’ll just have to win the Europa next season instead.

The most important thing is to keep qualifying for a European competition as it helps in building and maintaining a squad. It would be cracking to qualify for CL but it's not the magic bullet that some feel it is. Hopefully we'll get fourth and all will be good but if we don't then it will still be a major achievement by the boys

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

If we had Buendia, Ramsay, Kamara and Mings for most of the season things would be quite different. With everyone fit, it's a strong squad. From now until the end of the season is going to be a test of endurance.

It is a strong squad but I still don’t think it’s a top 4 squad. We have overachieved and Unai and the players deserve a lot of credit regardless of how the season ends.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Personally I quite enjoy backing other teams to do well in order that we get UCL, because it’s a result you’ll never lose on, as there’s equal or  more joy to be had when the likes of Liverpool get raped at home 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we don’t make Champions League it will obviously be disappointing after coming so close but it is what it is.  We’ll just have to win the league next season instead.

Fixed 😄

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It is a strong squad but I still don’t think it’s a top 4 squad. We have overachieved and Unai and the players deserve a lot of credit regardless of how the season ends.

I think we would be 6-8 points better off with a full squad this season especially Mings, conceded a lot of silly goals

• Like 1

I wouldn't rule Liverpool out of getting to the semis yet. If Atalanta can go to Anfield and get a 3-0 win I am sure Liverpool on their day can go over there and do similar. An earlyish goal for Liverpool next week and it is game on. 

I think what the results have shown in all three European competitions this week is that at this stage there are no easy games. Only two ties have more than one goal in them and that is Liverpools and West Hams so pretty much every tie is in the balance and could go either way so trying to predict how things will look this time next week is in fairness a waste of time. 

I also think what results have shown over the week is that getting a win at this stage isn't easy which makes our result last night even more impressive. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Just now, markavfc40 said:

I wouldn't rule Liverpool out of getting to the semis yet. If Atalanta can go to Anfield and get a 3-0 win I am sure Liverpool on their day can go over there and do similar. An earlyish goal for Liverpool next week and it is game on. 

I think what the results have shown in all three European competitions this week is that at this stage there are no easy games. Only two ties have more than one goal in them and that is Liverpools and West Hams so pretty much every tie is in the balance and could go either way so trying to predict how this will look this time next week is in fairness a waste of time. 

I also think what results have shown over the week is that getting a win at this stage isn't easy which makes our result last night even more impressive. 

Europe is notorious for every couple of years there being some ridiculous comeback so I wouldn't be too surprised. (The most famous victim being our own Don Unai but we don't talk about that)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Arsenal and City will both go through.

It is impossible to be confident of that. Especially in Arsenal's case. Both games are 50-50 in my mind. 

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It is impossible to be confident of that. Especially in Arsenal's case. Both games are 50-50 in my mind. 

Arsenal will lose they don't have the bottle. Man City will win at home. Doubt Liverpool will come back, or West Ham. Us I'm hoping for an early goal from or if not then the most boring uneventful match that could be hoped for.

I think then will have to pray city and us win.

Let's not forget those pestilent vermin Man U being so abysmally shit that we're in this mess in the first place. There's no way they can be allowed 5th.

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Exactly this. I'm bored of frigging 'coefficients' trying to get into a contest we'll almost certainly do quite poorly in instead of concentrating on the competition we're doing well in, and could yet win. 

Let's just be happy for a night! At the rate we get to this stage of European competitions, there are probably dozens reading this who won't get to see the next time. Chin up!

I just love maths, OK?!?!!?!

14 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Arsenal will lose they don't have the bottle. Man City will win at home. Doubt Liverpool will come back, or West Ham. Us I'm hoping for an early goal from or if not then the most boring uneventful match that could be hoped for.

I think then will have to pray city and us win.

Let's not forget those pestilent vermin Man U being so abysmally shit that we're in this mess in the first place. There's no way they can be allowed 5th.

I agree about Arsenal, don't think the have the bottle to go to Germany and knock Bayern out, they messed up not winning their home game.  City will go through, and probably put Bayern out.  The biggest surprise is Liverpool, could have done with them matching Leverkusen.