Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Didn't know where else to put this and I do like a good Interstellar comp - just a reminder of how amazing a season we've had and how it's still in our hands.

Anything interstellar based and I’m in. What a film. Great video too.  

23 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Aimed at no one in particular, but people get told off for 'bed wetting' when early scores or results go against us, but the opposite happens and we're allowed to party after 15mins?!

I really hope that next week we can be practically assured that 5th is a CL spot, but at the moment both Man City and Arsenal are on a knife edge, with one the favourite and the other one behind, and less than a half in to today's fixtures and still awaiting tomorrows.

Early gloating is just as bad as early doom mongering, except when people are doom mongering and are wrong, we're delighted, when you gloat and fail you look silly.

20 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Don’t take it all too seriously, you’re overthinking it—it’s not that deep.

What @PaulMcGrath_5 said...

• Like 1

We just need to go ahead with more teams than germany. If dortmund lose, then we just need 3 to get to the semis in any configuration really. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

We just need to go ahead with more teams than germany. If dortmund lose, then we just need 3 to get to the semis in any configuration really. 

Basically us, Liverpool and Man. City then. That's very realistic.

1 minute ago, Mr_Dogg said:

You can win the first leg and still go out, no?

Sure, still get the 2 points for the win though.. increases your progression chances too

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Yes but to progress you’d have to have won at least one leg and you have the opportunity to score more coefficient points in the next round. So progression is worth more

3 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Yep but then no further chance to gain points.  In theory you could go through and lose the next two legs and pick up no points! 

This is why we want as many wins as possible, both for English teamsand obviously ourselves.

In the incredibly unlikely event we win 5-0 tomorrow, I'd still want us to go strong enough to win the second leg too as that directly helps us. Same in reverse too, get smashed and we shouldn't give up on a win as it all counts.

West Ham will go out in all likelihood, but if they could nick a win or a draw in one of the legs it would help.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes but to progress you’d have to have won at least one leg and you have the opportunity to score more coefficient points in the next round. So progression is worth more

Could potentially draw two games and go through.. giving 3 points?

2 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Could potentially draw two games and go through.. giving 3 points?

You can’t draw two games and go through now they’ve taken out away goals

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought they counted it as two draws and then penalties wasn't counted other than for progression?

• Like 1

Just now, jackbauer24 said:

I thought they counted it as two draws and then penalties wasn't counted other than for progression?

Hmmm maybe. I assumed the leg with the penalties would count as a win but happy to be corrected

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Penalties? Don’t count for points but would determine winner if two draws…

Edited by ben1505