Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, R.Bear said:

Oh give me a break. We were on a 15 game home winning streak and had just beaten Man City and Arsenal back to back. We were playing a side who have 16 points after 31 games.

That's an embarrassing excuse.

Which is of course typical of sides who are mentally weak, going on historic winning runs.

How about you go for some fresh air instead of telling others to while you dredge up matches from last year?

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I presume things are all terrible again now that Spurs have (as expected) beaten Forest at home.

Not sure what expected has to do with it. Villa were expected to beat relegation fodder Brentford yesterday and failed spectacularly. 

With that being said not all is terrible. Just a healthy debate on form.

8 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

We’d need to be more than 6 points clear of Spurs before they play their last two games (Burnley and Sheffield). That’s unlikely.

No we wouldn't.

We might win our last 2. We just need to be a point above them in that case.

Edited by GlobalVillan

On 10/03/2024 at 19:17, useless said:

Spurs could easily lose to Fulham who have won more home games than any team outside the top five, and could probably just as easily lose to West Ham as well, we're just as likely to take a load of points from our final five games as Spur are from their next four, what is going to make it difficult for them is having to play Newcasle, Man City, Arsenal, and Liverpool, one after the other

I'm the past master at predicting where Spurs are likely to drop points, they were always likely to win today, but from West Ham and Fulham they took just one point, I remember people taking it as a given they would get maximum points from those games, they haven't exactly been convincing against Luton and Forest, whilst we're still so close to them, literally on the same points, we still have a really good chance of finishing ahead of them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

There's a few more twists and turns yet. 

Feels like the only certainty is both teams will beat teams they aren't supposed to and lose to teams they weren't supposed to lose to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Which is of course typical of sides who are mentally weak, going on historic winning runs.

How has our home form been since that game?

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Didn’t fancy the fresh air then. 

Perhaps losing key players to injury and suspension would explain our dip in form?

• Like 2

On the plus side, in the battle for 5th Chelsea and United dropped points too. 🫠

Interestingly United, Newcastle and Chelsea all have to play each other so actually the points total to secure 5th is probably not that far off... 64 points maybe. 

4 points out of the next 3 games and I think we're fine to only look up and not down. 

Edited by the_sun_never_sets
Tweaked wording
  • Like 2

Just now, ben1505 said:

Perhaps losing key players to injury and suspension would explain our dip in form?

Don’t have to explain it to me.

I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy of suggesting people go and get some fresh air instead of watching a match that directly impacts the club’s position but then proceeds to pass their time by whining about a result from months ago.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Don’t have to explain it to me.

I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy of suggesting people go and get some fresh air instead of watching a match that directly impacts the club’s position but then proceeds to pass their time by whining about a result from months ago.

Yes sorry, I was trying to reply to the original post but failed…

Plot twist: City get a 20 points deduction and both we and Tottenham goes into top 4. English teams fail in CL, and United, who sneak ahead of City after their deduction stand outside CL despite getting 5th 

😀😀

• Haha 1

Just think Villa have to learn to win two halves of football. 

Will need to get something at Arsenal with Spurs winning and I think Villa will, more so than against Liverpool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

United should win most of their remaining games - Bournemouth A, Sheffield United H, Burnley H, Palace A are their next 4. Arsenal H and Brighton A are the last 2, with a rearranged home game with Newcastle still to be scheduled.

They should be getting at least 3 wins from the next 4.

We have to play 4 of those teams as well, so technically we should win most of them to then.

Of course we've had a dip in form, what do people expect, if we'd have carried on the way we were we would have been title challengers, Spurs have also had dips in form, hence them taking just seven points from West Ham, Fulham, Luton, and Forest, rather than the ten plus points some were predicting, and also hence them being on the exact same points as us

• Like 2

I’ve thought for a while we will finish 5th but make champions league still. It’s looking even more likely now though with Spurs having no other distractions.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa