Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Correct but we also dropped 2 points. It depends what spurs do. I would think they get 4th now.

I know, but he specifically said we got beat, which we didn't.

16 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We rested players for today I assume? I know it’s tough going but I simply can’t have us resting players when we are sitting 4th going to city who are only a few points ahead(at the time) in 3rd . I’m not downplaying injuries etc but it was an hard pill to swallow for me. We rested Bailey and he was off the pace today. We’ll all have our opinions and either is right or wrong but we are all still behind the team and manager. I saw it today the fans were great, and the team got clapped off even though many of us were very disappointed.

But with the number of games we have you can't avoid rotation. It's impossible. Just because say Bailey didn't look great today doesn't undermine the general point. Literally all the top clubs rotate when they're juggling European competition because there's literally no way around it, especially with the number of injuries we've had.

If we’d have won today we’d be no more certain where we are going to finish… hopefully we can put together a performance across two legs v Lille as it’s doubly important now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I'm not sure the concept of "resting players" is even an accurate description for what happened with Villa this week. Where does that even come from? We never "rested" Ollie. He was injured. He was recovering. McGinn was suspended. Martinez was sick -- and maybe still a little weak today. That's not R&R. That's necessary recovery for players who are desperately important.

We did rest some players tbf (mainly Torres for Lenglet and Tielemans for Iroegbunam) but for some reason it's become conventional wisdom for a lot of people on here to pretend that we basically threw the game and played our reserves.

• Like 2

I don't think there's any doubt that the players believe they can win a European trophy this season. I think that, ultimately, will cost us 4th place in the league. Hopefully, 5th will be enough to get Champions League next season. 

24 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

If we’d have won today we’d be no more certain where we are going to finish… 

We'd be two points closer to " certainty".

I get the positive " spin " but it's simply not accurate 

Basically, we would have increased the probability of finishing 4th or 5th.

All we've now done is made the job more difficult than it already was.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We'd be two points closer to " certainly".

I get the positive " spin " but it's simply not accurate 

Basically, we would have increased the probability of finishing 4th or 5th.

All we've now done is made the hob more difficult than it already was.

IMG_1997.jpeg

31 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

If we’d have won today we’d be no more certain where we are going to finish… hopefully we can put together a performance across two legs v Lille as it’s doubly important now.

This is fanciful thinking. We'd be no more certain if we beat City, Brentford, Arsenal and Bournemouth. Certainty requires fact. Fourth place would be more possible / likely had we won today, however. 

Have we seen spurs’ run after tomorrow? We could easily be 6 ahead of them before the final few games. That’s psychologically massive!

• Like 2

Without being too dramatic the reason I've not been too overly positive is that I've seen us struggle to pick up wins recently and I don't think the last 6 games are going to be any easier.  We're starting to conceded too many goals from open play and set pieces.  We need to beat Bournemouth now!

I forgot what these Saturdays felt like, I wish it didn’t bother me so much but it does. I know we’ve lost a few games since the new year but today was hard to take. Yes we got a draw but it feels like a loss.

Anyway it’s still all to play for and like others have said Spurs run in isn’t exactly easy. UTV 

Edited by WHY

I sometimes wish we would rally to the cause a bit more. Close ranks and stick together through tough patches.

Second half of the season was always going to be more of a slog as games pile up, Injuries set in and other teams find form/new manager bounces etc.

4th was never going to be easy to secure. But funny, we still are actually 4th in the table right now.

And today is EXACTLY why I was fuming at our approach against City. You can not just throw in the towel against any team, otherwise you'll never pick up surprise points and only drop 'guaranteed' ones.

Did we look any fresher today?! Made zero difference. Now lost Luiz for a stupid unneeded tackle in, what, the 97th minute?! Smacks of arrogance against likes of Brentford to assume we just needed a break, but also suggests Unai doesn't gave faith in his near first XI to get anything either. Just a bad look all round. Point against City, be a little tired but on a high and maybe today is a win.

Feels like 2024 has just been Villa trying to think of new ways to mess up such an amazing season to that point. Flat games, poor performances, cup exits, losing badly to teams around us, McGinn red, Unai throwing a game, Ramsey injury, Luiz suspension. Just been a terrible 3 months really. Sheffield Utd only real highlight.

Fourth is a pipe dream frankly, Man Utd are doing a better job of giving us a chance of fifth than we are. Need them to lose again tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I sometimes wish we would rally to the cause a bit more. Close ranks and stick together through tough patches.

Second half of the season was always going to be more of a slog as games pile up, Injuries set in and other teams find form/new manager bounces etc.

4th was never going to be easy to secure. But funny, we still are actually 4th in the table right now.

This is the key, we picked up a point and were 4th.  We need to battle hard the next few weeks but we could come out of this weekend 1 point better than Utd.  I also don't think Forest is an easy game for Spurs tomorrow. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

This is the key, we picked up a point and were 4th.  We need to battle hard the next few weeks but we could come out of this weekend 1 point better than Utd.  I also don't think Forest is an easy game for Spurs tomorrow. 

If Man U and Spurs lose or draw tomorrow then it’s another weekend navigated. I’m hopeful that both of these will happen.

We can't now battle for a few weeks... Next up is Arsenal and they are currently better than City so we will need to wave white flag and put out the kids. We'll also have European games either side.

So we'll have to wait til Bournemouth before we hope to get some more points...

You may have guessed - I am seethig about the last week!!

It's a fact that our success will be in others hands a little, we are struggling for consistency.   Understandable with the injuries and games!

Typical negative people are back in here. No need to panic.

This will go to the wire, lots of twists and turns. Spurs will drop points to teams they're expected to beat, Villa also. If we could predict it we would all be millionaires, so we cant. 
I think we need 10 points from the last 6 games.