Don_Simon

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t forget mate. WE GOT JOHN McGINN!!

He’s going to be unplayable. 

Yeah right he's had a couple of weeks to buff his arse up and everything

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think two more wins for us seals 5th

We'll know the fate of the extra CL place after the next round of European fixtures too. Still on a knife edge if 5th is good enough, 60:40 to PL or something are the probabilities from opta

Our away form gives us a chance at Brighton and Palace at end of season

70.6% not 60% fyi

• Like 1

Last 5 games

Spurs - 10 points

Us - 7 points 

Bottlers - 4 points

Hardly needs pointing out now but I can't remember when Utd were getting more points than us or Spurs. 

23 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Minor quibble but 1995-96: 4th in the league, league cup winners and FA Cup Semi finalists  for me is still a benchmark- am not sure Conference League tops the League Cup, especially in thatbera of the 90s when it was taken seriously. 

I think it’s so much harder to finish top 4/5 now than it was then. European trophy given the teams we are likely to play tops the league cup for me too. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Minor quibble but 1995-96: 4th in the league, league cup winners and FA Cup Semi finalists  for me is still a benchmark- am not sure Conference League tops the League Cup, especially in thatbera of the 90s when it was taken seriously. 

For someone born in 1988, this was the level I grew up expecting Villa to be at. It's only taken another 28 years to maybe get back there.

• Like 3

Same, the 90s were epic. Its magic to be back at this level again!

And back then only Old Trafford and Anfield were bigger than Villa Park. Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Man City, West Ham all had smaller grounds than us!

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zak said:

70.6% not 60% fyi

These opta probabilities can switch around very quickly, I wouldn’t get too secure about it tbh. It comes down to whether City and Arsenal progress 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We may not be able to save ourselves, but maybe others will save us.

Eh? We have 10 points in the last 6 games, same as Spurs.  Our two defeats in that time are to the treble winning  champions City away and Spurs, it’s not actually bad is it.  Spurs was only the really bad result in that six games.

Edited by nick76

15 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

These opta probabilities can switch around very quickly, I wouldn’t get too secure about it tbh. It comes down to whether City and Arsenal progress 

Yes, was just going to make this point. These numbers have had England at everything from nearly 90% to not much more than 50% at different stages. Ultimately the numbers have no predictive power at all. We know what actually matters, which is whether English teams - including ourselves - progress. There's no comfort in the numbers if you don't think the teams will win. 

17 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

And Villa of course!

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

And Villa of course!

Exactly. Weird how it may end up that our very own coefficient points help us secure a CL spot. Some might say its fate 🤔 

Edited by NorthEastVillan

Hopefully luck goes our way this weekend, just need to make sure we win regardless of what Spurs do. 

Spurs potentially a banana skin with Forest.  I'm sure Nuno will be wanting to get one over his old club, they'll play a low block which Spurs don't do well against.  

If we beat Brentford, and Arsenal beat Bayern, that's it I think. I'm gonna assume Dortmund don't win the CL and presumably the Europa carries less weighting even if Leverkusen win it.

I am very optimistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Fair point but champions league qualification would be a huge difference between the two seasons. For me, a European trophy would always have more prestige than the league cup but appreciate others may feel differently. Either way it will be a standout season 👍🏽

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

If we beat Brentford, and Arsenal beat Bayern, that's it I think. I'm gonna assume Dortmund don't win the CL and presumably the Europa carries less weighting even if Leverkusen win it.

I am very optimistic.

They all carry the same weighting now. So Liverpool winning Europa would be great for us. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

They all carry the same weighting now. So Liverpool winning Europa would be great for us. 

CL and EL carry same weighting, ECl is less.

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Eh? We have 10 points in the last 6 games, same as Spurs.  Our two defeats in that time are to the treble winning  champions City away and Spurs, it’s not actually bad is it.  Spurs was only the really bad result in that six games.

With our injury list it's going to be tough.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

For someone born in 1988, this was the level I grew up expecting Villa to be at. It's only taken another 28 years to maybe get back there.

I started to support Villa in 1980.

• Like 1