Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

It be coo, we should he finishing ahead of Manchester United regardless of how they get on tonight, if we somehow let them past us at this stage then we won't have deserved top four or five. We just have to look after our own games

5 hours ago, DJBOB said:

UCL qualifying might not be the floodgate that pushes us back into the spotlight.

But it also could be.

Saying that it definitely won't overlooks the massive importance it has in terms of boosting our revenues and our profile to be able to compete on an annual basis. It may well end up like Newcastle or Leicester. But we could also propel ourselves into constant European campaigns and a closer reach for a title race, more funds for a bigger squad to compete in cups. It's kind of boggling to me that people are understating it.  We were last in the Europa league 13 some years ago. We were last in the European Cup 40 years ago! 

There's a whole generation of Villa fans who have never seen us in the European Cup/UCL - including me.

You can count on the revenue from sponsorship etc you can’t can’t on CL money.

Infuriating, but a win against Brentford and a United loss to Liverpool at the weekend and tonight is basically cancelled out

Edited by jayEm

1 minute ago, jayEm said:

Infuriating, but a win against Brentford and a United loss to Liverpool at the weekend and tonight is basically cancelled out

Ifs and buts 

United win today and their game in hand, then they'll only be 5 points behind us with 7 games to go, with us still having to play arsenal and liverpool (and chelsea).. it's closer than people on the previous page made it out to be

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

I blame all the people on the previous  page, never get cocky fellas

Genuinely why I never comment in relation to the total writing off of teams or confidence/borderline cockiness about our position.

Again, teams like United have so much quality that they can stumble into wins by accident.

Same goes for teams like Chelsea.

This season will go down to the wire from 1 - 7 imo

Our " winnable " games aren't guaranteed either, take nothing for granted in this league.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

United 5 points behind us now as their game in hand is Sheffield United at OT. They've the easier run in after this weekend. You'd say 6th place finish is definitely likely for us now.

Massive for United this win and a killer for us

They’re down to barebones defence before this match even started, and they’ve just took Varane and Evans off with injury.  They have no defenders, they won’t keep winning.

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

United 5 points behind us now as their game in hand is Sheffield United at OT. They've the easier run in after this weekend. You'd say 6th place finish is definitely likely for us now.

With our superior goal difference it's effectively 6 points. 

How you get that we are destined to finish 6th from that I really don't know.

But if they do win tonight, it makes things less comfortable and to be honest I've seen a few people on here write them off too early! 

Edited by WakefieldVillan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Why are you giving Utd hypothetical points? We didn’t beat Sheffield Utd and we’re better than Man U