Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

8 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

There is always cynics and reactionaries in a large fan base , I have been guilt of being negative too in the past. I was hurt after the Chelsea FA cup defeat, I felt like the sky is failling. I also think the away stuff was/is perpetuated by the media/opposition fans too. It is easy to be led into that thinking/feeling too. Ultimately, I am proud of what the team is doing this season with all the difficult circumstances we have had to undergo. Success is not a straight line. We have a lot of building to do. 🐢 UTV!

Been thinking how, if we want to be competitive in as many competitions as possible going forwards, we need a deeper squad that possesses more of an array for genuine quality… will be dictated by finances of course (CL should help) but… I feel like I’ve realised how much of a load so many games can be… and we’ve already seen how we’ve been disrupted by injuries and suspensions… not to mention both physical and mental fatigue… it’s a long season…

Don’t feel like we any choice but to keep strengthening if our aspirations are higher than what we have managed this season… we have to enable ourselves to keep spending to a certain degree…

even with the injured players back next season… I still don’t think there’s enough depth to manage advanced runs in Europe, domestic cup competitions AND another high placed finish in the league…

the glaring need for improvement off the pitch seems to be more and more exposed… we have to boost our finances and revenue streams… we must strike some big deals and improve the stadium…

2 minutes ago, TomC said:

According to this calculation, we have the second most difficult run-in...

That said, Spurs don't exactly have an easy run-in.

image.thumb.jpeg.91cff7d0fa0af51d69ef30c8d5521b5d.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/16/premier-league-teams-toughest-run-ins-arsenal-villa-luton

The same article put the 4th place chances as like 55-45 in favour of Spurs. I wonder how that's changed now.

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Today was a real morale booster because it shows that Spurs are just as capable as us of randomly serving up a dreadful performance.

Yep… no one can accurately predict anything… “twists and turns” seems to be the saying of the day 😆 but it’s true…

As I said before, I was much less concerned about the loss to Spurs compared to McGinn’s suspension… we were already so depleted… and he just brings so much to the side. It’s been hard for us to put I it a consistent lineup… how often has the defence been mixed up? We’ve had rotten luck…

But I back Unai to come up with a solution…

and thrashing Ajax was a pleasant tonic…

let’s get Pau and Ezri back together and kick some ass!

If Diaby can step up now, that’s going to be a major boost and another dangerous weapon for opposition teams to do deal with… hope he got a major confidence boost from that game.

If Tim can step up, even better…

Didn't somebody say that Tielemans had played that 6 role for Leicester (and done horribly but) at times?

I think Diaby is the step up for McGinn, but he plays on the left. The Ajax game was the test for that as Unai knew he could break them at home.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Nah I think he’ll be a bit more defensive than that being away from home and with the threat of Bowen, Kudus and Antonio.  I think only one of Bailey or Diaby starts tomorrow but I’m interested what he does because McGinn leaves a big hole in midfield.

West Ham don’t play with a midfield though, just leather it long to Antonio and hope he can give it to Bowen, Kudus or Paqueta. So I don’t think we will miss McGinn - the question is just how physical and aerial our defence are feeling…

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Been thinking how, if we want to be competitive in as many competitions as possible going forwards, we need a deeper squad that possesses more of an array for genuine quality… will be dictated by finances of course (CL should help) but… I feel like I’ve realised how much of a load so many games can be… and we’ve already seen how we’ve been disrupted by injuries and suspensions… not to mention both physical and mental fatigue… it’s a long season…

Don’t feel like we any choice but to keep strengthening if our aspirations are higher than what we have managed this season… we have to enable ourselves to keep spending to a certain degree…

even with the injured players back next season… I still don’t think there’s enough depth to manage advanced runs in Europe, domestic cup competitions AND another high placed finish in the league…

the glaring need for improvement off the pitch seems to be more and more exposed… we have to boost our finances and revenue streams… we must strike some big deals and improve the stadium…

Absolutely. It is key that we keep spending in alignment with boosting revenue, I think the club is fully aware of it and steps are being made to achieve it. I am not opposed to "player trading" if it allows for Emery to strengthen his team and thus become more competitive. I think we will be better through experience too. The team and players would have learnt a lot from this season. My hope for next season is we compete better in all competitions we are in.

4 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

That is wise. I think it is more of a reaction to the media narrative that has been presented this week, it has been totally demeaning to Villa and the over the top fawning of Spurs has been too much. It is a huge reality check. Spurs have vulnerabilities and weaknesses like all teams below the champions.

Spurs looked tired. 😢

Eh the negativity this week came mainly from Villa fans not a media narrative. Some posters on here threw in the towel not the media

• Like 1

I was, like everyone devastated by the Spurs 0-4 defeat at home and convinced that we were well and truly f…..d!!

When you lose so badly to your most immediate rival it is hard to see a way forward but….. 

Within days, it has turned round and I am now convinced we are destined for the Champions League. UTV! VTID! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

2-1 win at home vs Liverpool (down to 9 men) back in September 

Liverpool were so pissed off that game that I expect Spurs to be punished by them in the next game

One thing I have to remind myself. There are players and coaches. When you look at fixtures and expected points.

Just by having Unai I think we will get 2 more points than Ange and 4 more the Eric.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Eh the negativity this week came mainly from Villa fans not a media narrative. Some posters on here threw in the towel not the media

Yh. I think that happens within large fanbases. Check out the TNT sport commentary for Ajax 🤣 "Mauling" and Spurs defeat mentioned about a thousand times.

9 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Yh. I think that happens within large fanbases. Check out the TNT sport commentary for Ajax 🤣 "Mauling" and Spurs defeat mentioned about a thousand times.

Well it was a mauling. Have only heard Villa fans crying that Spurs and United will overtake us and the season is pretty much over

Just now, Zatman said:

Well it was a mauling. Have only heard Villa fans crying that Spurs and United will overtake us and the season is pretty much over

No it wasn't. It was a 10 minute spell during 90 + 10 minute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You are living under a rock then buddy. 😆 - Media been fawning over September league winners Spurs.

6 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

*taps mic*

See?!

My comments were in the context of spurs getting 70 points and those four games against the relegation fodder teams. Which they are still very likely to do based on the games they have left. 

What yesterday showed was how critical van der ven is to Spurs. If he is out beyond the international break then there is a chance they will fall below 70 points. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

My comments were in the context of spurs getting 70 points and those four games against the relegation fodder teams. Which they are still very likely to do based on the games they have left. 

What yesterday showed was how critical van der ven is to Spurs. If he is out beyond the international break then there is a chance they will fall below 70 points. 

But yesterday showed how poor Spurs can be on any given day, just like us.  If you are that poor on any given day then even the likes of Luton and Forest can beat you.  You said they won’t falter but just like us they have the ability to.  

Both Villa and Spurs have the ability to beat the best teams but also the ability to lose to the relegation fodder hence why we aren’t fighting for the title because we aren’t consistent enough throughout the season in every game.

After such a great result against us, they were very poor against Fulham and not just because VDV was out, it was across the team.  It’s going to be a blood pressure increasing run in to the end of season for both teams.  Very little between the teams.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TomC said:

According to this calculation, we have the second most difficult run-in...

That said, Spurs don't exactly have an easy run-in.

image.thumb.jpeg.91cff7d0fa0af51d69ef30c8d5521b5d.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/16/premier-league-teams-toughest-run-ins-arsenal-villa-luton

The thing is these calculators look at the current position of the opposition. What it doesn't factor in what they have to play for. For example would you rather play Bournemouth who are playing to finish as high as possible or Luton who are playing to stay up?

Hopefully the games we have against those teams that aren’t really playing for much now are where we can pick up the points.