Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

22 minutes ago, omariqy said:

2 for a win, 1 for a draw and 1 for round progression. Those points then divided by the number of teams from your country that were originally in the various tournaments. So for England it’s divided by 8 and for Germany it’s divided by 7. 

The only quirk is that the conference league only gets the progression point for quarter to semi and semi to final. So Villa can only get 0.25 this week. The UECL games have been less valuable unfortunately. 

10 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

The only quirk is that the conference league only gets the progression point for quarter to semi and semi to final. So Villa can only get 0.25 this week. The UECL games have been less valuable unfortunately. 

Yup just saw that. Annoying but luckily Germany have no teams in the UECL so we are adding some bonus points.

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Favourites yes, but still only about 30% probability implied by the bookies odds, just too many good teams left and they only need one bad night.

Imagine we’ll be sweating on this for a while!

Only really Real Madrid. I don't see a German team winning  it or Barcelona and psg just bottlers anyway 

Edited by PaulC

Need to beat Ajax and a good performace, for the good of winning that game and to give us some momentum going to into the West Ham fixture

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

Need to beat Ajax and a good performace, for the good of winning that game and to give us some momentum going to into the West Ham fixture

I expect we will put in a good performance against Ajax at home in a reaction to Sunday's Disaster. Then it will be another case of after the lord mayors show against west ham with more points dropped. 

10 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Isn't having the one big league going to make it difficult for newcomers to qualify past the league stage. 

Saying that, I don't really understand the process anyway. Think I'll worry about it if and when I need to

Will make it interesting, and hopefully put more emphasis on wins rather than playing for a draw.  This season for example Copenhagen finished 2nd in their group with 8 points, whereas Shaktar finished 3rd in theirs with 9, Shaktar would be above Cophenagen under new format.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Isn't having the one big league going to make it difficult for newcomers to qualify past the league stage. 

Saying that, I don't really understand the process anyway. Think I'll worry about it if and when I need to

I don’t think so, basically 24 of the 36 teams qualify for the next round after the league part is completed. Top 8 teams go straight to knock out phase while the next 16 are in a two leg play off.  So two-thirds qualify out of the league which doesn’t really prohibit newcomers any more than the current format.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think so, basically 24 of the 36 teams qualify for the next round after the league part is completed. Top 8 teams go straight to knock out phase while the next 16 are in a two leg play off.  So two-thirds qualify out of the league which doesn’t really prohibit newcomers any more than the current format.

So 36 teams need to play each other?

3 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

No each team plays 8 different teams but not home and away, they play 4 at home and 4 of them away.  So you only play a team once, just whether it’s home or away.  Your points total go into the main league table.  So the maximum points you can get is 24 points as all teams play 8 games.  You only play 8 teams of the 36.  

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Here’s a simple video that may explain it better than me…

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Here’s a simple video that may explain it better than me…

I sometimes have to pinch myself because the real possibility of Villa playing at Camp Nou (or whatever they call it to make money these days) is so outlandish to me 5 years ago.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I sometimes have to pinch myself because the real possibility of Villa playing at Camp Nou (or whatever they call it to make money these days) is so outlandish to me 5 years ago.

Lets face it we will probs get Celtic or something like that.

14 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Lets face it we will probs get Celtic or something like that.

At least under the new format we'll play 8 different clubs if we make it. They can't all be boring.

7 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

At least under the new format we'll play 8 different clubs if we make it. They can't all be boring.

They won't be, teams will be seeded, so we would be drawn against two from pot A which will have Real, Bayern, PSG etc in it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Yeah that's what I was aiming for. With our luck, we'll probably match another prem side but very good chance we'll be playing someone from the top seeded part of the pot.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Yeah that's what I was aiming for. With our luck, we'll probably match another prem side but very good chance we'll be playing someone from the top seeded part of the pot.

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They won't be, teams will be seeded, so we would be drawn against two from pot A which will have Real, Bayern, PSG etc in it.

21 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Below is the current standings for pots but obviously will change based on final league standings and coefficients.  I’m guessing they’ll try and avoid teams playing teams from their own league somehow.