Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Arsenal through, porto out
Barca through Napoli out

is the napoli result good for us

Italy have pretty much cemented one of the two extra CL spots (and Spain are out of the running), so it'll likely have been inconsequential either way

Just now, wishywashy said:

Italy have pretty much cemented one of the two extra CL spots (and Spain are out of the running), so it'll likely have been inconsequential either way

is it german teams then?

We need a favour from PSV tomorrow and West Ham on Thursday and 5th place will look very good for a CL spot. 

I think we're going to limp over the line but 5th and CL and winning the Conference will be an incredible season and we can hopefully get some players back for next season and put a nightmare season for injuries behind us. 

I do worry about winning the UCL though, I have a feeling we're going to come undone against an experienced European side at some point. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

How there's still points up for grabs and by my reckoning arsenal get a point for a draw plus ab extra point for reaching the last 8 and napoli get nothing so if they were two points ahead when I last looked we shouid be about level now 

Sorry its the average points not total so yes you're right 

Edited by PaulC

Just now, PaulC said:

How there's still points up for grabs and by my reckoning arsenal get a point for a draw plus ab extra point for reaching the last 8 and napoli get nothing so if they were two points ahead when I last looked we shouid be about level now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

We need a favour from PSV tomorrow and West Ham on Thursday and 5th place will look very good for a CL spot. 

I think we're going to limp over the line but 5th and CL and winning the Conference will be an incredible season and we can hopefully get some players back for next season and put a nightmare season for injuries behind us. 

I do worry about winning the UCL though, I have a feeling we're going to come undone against an experienced European side at some point. 

Man city looking good to win it again I think. 

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Man city looking good to win it again I think. 

Favourites yes, but still only about 30% probability implied by the bookies odds, just too many good teams left and they only need one bad night.

Imagine we’ll be sweating on this for a while!

• Like 2

On 11/03/2024 at 11:52, omariqy said:

The more German teams that go out the better regardless of us, City and Liverpool being favourites. You never know in tournament football what will happen. Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen are likely to go quite far in their respective competitions. Therefore, we really need Freiburg and Dortmund to exit and make sure we have at least 1 or 2 more teams than that left who are picking up points. 

This week’s games to look out for

UCL

Arsenal v Porto (0-1) - If Arsenal win then that is 0.375 to our points total 

Dortumund v PSV (1-1) - you would expect Dortmund to win that and go through - 0.429 for their total

UEL

West Ham v Freiburg (0-1) - as per Arsenal - 0.375

Bayer Leverkusen v Qarabag (2-2) - as per Dortmund - 0.429

Brighton v Roma (0-4) - Brighton are out but if they can win the tie at least then it will be 0.25 for our total

Liverpool v Sparta Prague (5-1) - as per the above 0.375

UECL

Aston Villa v Ajax (0-0) - as per the above 0.375

That would leave the following 

Germany - 16.358

England - 16.375

First result in our favour. I am sure there will be a few surprises this week. I can see one of us, Dortumund or West Ham losing and exiting. Very rarely all the favourites go through in knockout football.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dortmund should go out, massive bottlers

If Dortmund and Freiburg both go out then the maximum points they can get will be 2.717

Leverkusen - 0.429 + 0.429 + 0.429 + 0.286 = 1.573

Bayern - 0.429 + 0.429 + 0.286 = 1.144

That would put them on 18.217. Very gettable 

Edited by omariqy

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

closer than I had been led to believe

Not much going on tomorrow so might give the Dortmund-PSV game a watch. 1-1 so potentially could still go either way that even if Dortmund have home advantage.

Basically if they go out then it's left to Munich and Leverkusen as teams who can have realistic runs to SF/F.

I'd still say it's far far more likely we'll see Man. City/Liverpool at that stage and they don't have anyone in the Conference league.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Not much going on tomorrow so might give the Dortmund-PSV game a watch. 1-1 so potentially could still go either way that even if Dortmund have home advantage.

Basically if they go out then it's left to Munich and Leverkusen as teams who can have realistic runs to SF/F.

I'd still say it's far far more likely we'll see Man. City/Liverpool at that stage and they don't have anyone in the Conference league.

think I should probably start paying attention at semi final stages too many variables right now

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I will admit I have no idea how these numbers work 

2 for a win, 1 for a draw and 1 for round progression. Those points then divided by the number of teams from your country that were originally in the various tournaments. So for England it’s divided by 8 and for Germany it’s divided by 7. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, omariqy said:

2 for a win, 1 for a draw and 1 for round progression. Those points then divided by the number of teams from your country that were originally in the various tournaments. So for England it’s divided by 8 and for Germany it’s divided by 7. 

ty